Connect with us

Business

Why I sold ownership of Geregu Power Plant — Otedola

info

Published

on

Admin ajax 1 1.jpg

Nigerian billionaire businessman Femi Otedola has disclosed that he sold his stake in Geregu Power Plc to invest in the planned public offering of the Dangote refinery project owned by Aliko Dangote.

Mr Otedola made the disclosure while speaking to journalists during a visit to the Dangote Refinery on Wednesday.

While praising Mr Dangote’s industrial projects, he described the businessman as “a colossus” and “one of the greatest men that has come out of Africa.”

“That’s one of the reasons why I sold my stake in the Geregu plant to come and invest my proceeds in the IPO of Dangote Refinery,” Mr Otedola said.

The businessman said he had repeatedly appealed to Mr Dangote to allocate shares to him in the refinery’s private placement.

PT WHATSAPP CHANNEL

“On a personal note, I have appealed to him. I have been here with him 25 times,” he said, adding that as part of his compensation, Mr Dangote should allocate him shares worth $100 million during the private placement phase.

Mr Otedola described the Dangote refinery project as a transformational investment capable of freeing Nigeria and Africa from economic dependence.

“I wish Aliko Dangote is a colossus, a genius, probably one of the greatest men that has come out of Africa for delivering us out of economic slavery in Nigeria and by extension Africa,” he said.

Last December, Mr Otedola offloaded his interest in Geregu Power Plc, the electricity generation company he took public in October 2022 at a market value of N250 billion, which was valued at the time to be in the neighbourhood of N2.9 trillion.

The deal was valued at $750 million, a source with knowledge of the transaction told PREMIUM TIMES at the time. Until the completion of the share sale, he was the majority owner of the Lagos-quoted firm.

In his remarks on Wednesday, Mr Dangote revealed that preparations were underway for an Initial Public Offering (IPO) of the refinery, which he said could be launched by September.

According to him, investor demand for the offering has already reached “billions of dollars.”

“There is quite a lot of demand in terms of people disturbing us, pushing us, saying we want to buy,” he said.

Mr Dangote said the goal was to allow early investors to benefit from the refinery’s future growth in the same way investors benefited from early stakes in global technology firms.

“We want it to be like when you buy Amazon or Apple… everybody has become a millionaire and that is what we want to bring into Africa,” he said.

READ ALSO: Billionaire, Femi Otedola, among writers shortlisted for BCA African Business Book 2026

The Dangote refinery, located in Lagos, began fuel production last year and is expected to significantly reduce Nigeria’s dependence on imported petroleum products.

The facility has been widely described as Africa’s largest refinery and one of the biggest single-train refineries globally.

Mr Otedola’s comments come amid increasing investor interest in large-scale infrastructure and energy assets in Nigeria, especially projects linked to domestic refining and industrialisation.


Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

EFCC Commences Investigations of Suspect,   $73,000,  £15,957 & 827,800 SAR Intercepted at Kano Airport  

info

Published

on

By

J8PBOfFl 400x400.jpg

The Kano Zonal Directorate of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has commenced investigation of a suspect, Haruna Yusuf  and multiple undeclared foreign currencies, ,   $73,000( Seventy Three United States Dollar)  £15,957 ( Fifteen Thousand, Nine Hundred and Fifty Seven Pound Sterling) & 827,800 Saudi Riyal  intercepted by the Nigeria Customs Service,  NCS,   at the Mallam Aminu Kano International Airport,  MAKIA.

The investigation commenced after  the handover  of the suspect and the undeclared currencies by the Acting Customs Area Comptroller of the Kano/Jigawa Command,  Deputy Comptroller U. U.  Adamu at the Customs Area Command in Kano.
The intercepted currencies, which exceeded the legally permitted threshold, were discovered during routine primary and secondary screenings of arriving passengers between August 8 and August 12, 2026.

The Acting Zonal Director of the EFCC,  Kano Directorate, Assistant Commander of the EFCC, ACE1 Friday S. Ebelo, received the suspect and the recovered funds on behalf of the Commission.
According to Adamu,  the Customs made two separate interceptions.
On August 8,  2026,  “at approximately 14:20 hours, officers conducting passenger screening at the baggage seat of MAKIA intercepted an unaccompanied Saudi Air luggage  containing 827,800 Saudi Riyals and $53,300  The currencies were found concealed inside a footwear.” Adamu stated.
Similarly, on  August 12, 2026 “at approximately 13:50 hours, officers of the Nigerian Custom Service also flagged a luggage belonging to one Mr. Haruna Yusuf, who arrived at MAKIA on board Ethiopian Airlines flight ET941. During secondary screening using Non-Intrusive Inspection Technology, $20,000 USD and £15,957  were found concealed inside sportswear shoes”, he said.
Adamu thereafter formally handed over the suspect, Mr. Haruna Yusuf, alongside all recovered exhibits to Ebelo for further investigation and prosecution.   He noted that the handover was in accordance with Section 4(f) of the NCS Act 2023, which empowers the Service to collaborate with other border regulatory agencies.
Adamu further explained that,  “these interceptions demonstrate the readiness and vigilance of our officers in detecting cross-border movement of undeclared foreign currencies above the allowed threshold.  The Command will continue to deploy technology, professional expertise, and intelligence-driven measures, including inter-agency collaboration to strengthen border controls and protect the integrity of Nigeria’s financial systems.”

Receiving the suspect and exhibits on behalf of the Executive Chairman of the EFCC, Mr. Ola Olukoyede,  Ebelo  expressed profound gratitude to the Customs Service for its  professionalism and cooperation with EFCC officers recently deployed to the airport.
“We must sustain this vigilance at all our entry points to counter the illegal movement of currency. The failure to declare large sums of currency and its equivalent is a violation of the Money Laundering (Prevention and Prohibition) Act, 2022,” he said.
He  urged the public to comply with the law, emphasizing that declaring currency attracts no penalty, only the source of undeclared funds may raise legal concerns.
“Once more, we call on the general public: as much as we are Nigerians and we encourage trade in and out of the country, people must adhere to the laws of the land. You must declare the currency you are carrying. If you declare it, nobody will seize your currency,” he said.
Ebelo reaffirmed the EFCC’s commitment to  thorough investigations and prosecution, stating that the Commission would continue to follow the law diligently
Both Ebelo and Adamu applauded the longstanding synergy between  the EFCC and NCS which has been critical to combating financial crimes and illegal cash movement across Nigeria’s borders.

Continue Reading

Business

Otedola raises First HoldCo stake to 27.49% with fresh N20.7 billion share purchase

info

Published

on

By

Admin ajax 1 1.jpg

MTN ADVERT

Femi Otedola, the chairman of First HoldCo Plc, acquired 147.7 million new shares in the banking group on Monday, taking his stake in the company to 27.49 per cent.

In a transaction announced in a regulatory filing signed by the group’s Company Secretary, Abiola Baruwa, Mr Otedola purchased 147,737,699 additional shares at N140 per share.

The additional shares, which represent 0.33 per cent of the company’s outstanding shares, were purchased through Calvados Global Services Limited and valued at N20.7 billion.

Following the purchase, Mr Otedola now holds a total of 12.05 billion shares in the financial institution, representing about 27.49 per cent of the company.

The First HoldCo chair’s total shareholding in the company is valued at about N1.65 trillion, based on the company’s share price of N136.90 as of 4:00 p.m. (WAT) on 17 August.

PT WHATSAPP CHANNEL

The businessman has continued to increase his investment in the financial institution since emerging as its largest shareholder in 2021.

READ ALSO: Otedola acquires additional 138 million First HoldCo shares worth ₦18.1 billion

The latest purchase is the second time in August that Mr Otedola has increased his stake, following his acquisition of about 138 million shares in the financial services group, valued at approximately N18.1 billion, about a week ago.

Also, on 30 July, Mr Otedola increased his stake in the financial services group by acquiring an additional 1.78 billion shares valued at about N222.2 billion.


Discover more from Premium Times Nigeria

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Continue Reading

Trending