Connect with us

Health

NMA warns of wider health crisis as LASUTH doctors’ strike enters second day

info

Published

on

Untitled design 4.png

MTN ADVERT

The Nigerian Medical Association (NMA), Lagos State branch, has raised a concern about the ongoing three-day warning strike by resident doctors at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH), stating that it may trigger broader disruptions in the Lagos healthcare system if unresolved welfare issues persist.

The strike, now in its second day, followed a resolution by the Association of Resident Doctors (ARD) of LASUTH at its 19th Ordinary General Meeting and Scientific Conference, where members voted to withdraw services over long-standing, unaddressed welfare concerns.

According to a report by Channels Television, the association said the decision followed repeated engagements and ultimatums that failed to produce concrete action from the state government.

The president of the association, Alaba Akirele, said the government had failed to respond adequately despite sustained engagements with stakeholders, warning that further industrial action remained possible if the situation did not improve.

Following deliberations, the congress demanded the immediate resumption of construction of the Resident Doctors’ Quarters at LASUTH, urgent implementation of the revised professional allowance structure for doctors in Lagos State, and payment of specialist allowances to eligible Senior Registrar doctors.

PT WHATSAPP CHANNEL

The association also confirmed that the warning strike would run for three days, from Monday night, 15 June, to Friday, 19 June, and cautioned that continued inaction could escalate the dispute.

More details

In a statement reported by The Punch newspaper on Thursday, the NMA Lagos Chairman, Ewonowo Sunday, described the situation as “deeply unfortunate but avoidable,” blaming prolonged delays in negotiations between the state government and the doctors for the breakdown in industrial harmony.

Mr Sunday said the association viewed the development with deep concern, noting that strike action, though a last resort, often becomes inevitable when sustained dialogue fails.

“We view this development with deep concern. Regrettably, this crisis was avoidable if all concerned stakeholders had been more proactive and responsive in addressing the legitimate concerns raised by the resident doctors,” he said.

Grievances

The NMA outlined several unresolved issues at the centre of the dispute, including delayed implementation of revised professional allowances, unpaid promotion arrears, and weak welfare support for medical trainees.

It also cited infrastructural and institutional concerns, such as the completion of the Resident Doctors’ Quarters and Residency Training Centre at LASUTH, the payment of specialist allowances to eligible senior registrars, and the settlement of outstanding promotion arrears.

Other demands include approval and release of the 2026 Medical Residency Training Fund (MRTF), payment of teaching allowances to registrars and house officers, and strengthened security measures for healthcare workers and patients within LASUTH and across Lagos State health facilities.

Wider health system impact

The association warned that the LASUTH dispute reflects a pattern of unresolved welfare issues affecting resident doctors across Nigeria’s health system.

It noted that similar tensions have been reported at other tertiary hospitals, including the Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH), where doctors have raised concerns over working conditions and welfare provisions.

The NMA also referenced the wider national context, including a 21-day ultimatum issued by the Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors (NARD) to the federal government over unpaid allowances, residency funding, and related entitlements.

According to the association, the recurrence of such disputes points to a systemic challenge that, if left unaddressed, could trigger coordinated industrial action across the country’s health sector.

The NMA urged the Lagos State government, the Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare, and hospital management authorities to urgently intervene to prevent further escalation of the dispute.

It stressed that sustained delays in addressing welfare concerns risk weakening healthcare delivery and lowering morale among medical professionals.

READ ALSO: Kebbi State raises retirement age bar for doctors

The association added that adequate welfare support for health workers remains critical to sustaining quality healthcare services for patients.

Appeal for calm and dialogue

Despite its warnings, the NMA Lagos leadership called on resident doctors to remain calm and professional while discussions continue with relevant authorities.

It reaffirmed its commitment to dialogue and constructive engagement to restore industrial harmony and ensure uninterrupted healthcare delivery across Lagos State.


Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Health

FG inaugurates committees for 67th National Council on Health, demands result-oriented recommendations

info

Published

on

By

Fast2836.webp

MTN ADVERT

The Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare has inaugurated sub-committees ahead of the 67th Regular National Council on Health (NCH), urging members to ensure that their recommendations are evidence-based, practical and focused on improving healthcare delivery in Nigeria.

The ministry said this on Thursday during the inaugural meeting of the sub-committees in Abuja.

The 67th NCH is scheduled to hold from 16 to 20 November in Lafia, Nasarawa State.

The council, which will bring together key stakeholders across the federal and state health sectors, will be held under the theme, “From Commitment to Results: Delivering Quality and Equitable Healthcare for All Nigerians.”

Representing the Permanent Secretary of the ministry, Kachollom Daju, at the meeting, the Director of Health Planning, Research and Statistics, John Ovuoraye, described the NCH as a critical platform for policy dialogue, coordination and decision-making in Nigeria’s health sector.

PT WHATSAPP CHANNEL

Daju said the Technical Committee and its subcommittees play an important role in preparing recommendations for the council’s consideration.

“The quality of the work produced by these sub-committees will have a direct bearing on the effectiveness of the recommendations that will be presented to the National Council on Health,” she said.

She urged members to carry out their responsibilities with diligence, integrity, professionalism and objectivity.

Daju also called for an open-minded approach to the assignments and constructive engagement between the Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare and the Nasarawa State Local Organising Committee.

According to her, members’ participation reflects a shared commitment to strengthening Nigeria’s health system and improving Nigerians’ health and well-being.

Nasarawa promises collaboration

The Nasarawa State Commissioner for Health, Shekwonugaza Gwamna, represented by the Permanent Secretary of the state Ministry of Health, Ibrahim Hassan, welcomed participants to the meeting.

Mr Hassan reaffirmed the state’s readiness to work with the Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare to ensure a successful 67th NCH.

He said the inaugural meeting provided an opportunity for the state’s Local Organising Committee to present the progress made so far, receive guidance from the federal ministry and strengthen preparations for the council.

He thanked members for their commitment and wished them productive deliberations as preparations for the event continue.

Key areas of preparation

The meeting considered several issues relating to preparations for the council, including the formal inauguration of the sub-committees and clarification of the roles and responsibilities of their chairmen and members.

Members also reviewed and worked towards finalising the logo for the 67th NCH, as well as the format and timely submission of memoranda by states.

READ ALSO: PT Health Watch: Why parents should not overlook children’s vision problems

The meeting was attended physically by officials of the Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare, while members of the Nasarawa State Local Organising Committee participated virtually.

The 67th NCH is expected to deliberate on major health priorities and develop actionable recommendations to improve the quality, equity, and responsiveness of healthcare delivery across Nigeria.


Discover more from Premium Times Nigeria

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Continue Reading

Health

Ebola: DRC gets 70,000 Ervebo vaccine doses as Bundibugyo outbreak worsens

info

Published

on

By

Vaccines for homeless western cape vaccination.jpg

MTN ADVERT

The Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has received an initial allocation of 70,000 doses of the Ervebo Ebola vaccine to support the response to the ongoing Bundibugyo virus disease outbreak.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) and the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) disclosed this in a joint statement on Thursday.

The allocation followed a request by the DRC government last week for vaccines from the global Ebola virus disease vaccine stockpile managed by the International Coordinating Group on Vaccine Provision (ICG).

Of the 70,000 doses, 20,000 will be used in a Phase III clinical trial to assess whether Ervebo can protect against Bundibugyo virus, while the remaining 50,000 doses will be administered to frontline and health workers in line with recommendations by the WHO Strategic Advisory Group of Experts on Immunisation (SAGE).

Why the vaccine is being tested

The decision to use part of the allocation in a clinical trial reflects the uncertainty surrounding the effectiveness of Ervebo against Bundibugyo virus.

PT WHATSAPP CHANNEL

Ervebo is a licensed vaccine recommended for use during outbreaks caused by the Zaire species of Ebola virus. The current outbreak in the DRC, however, is caused by Bundibugyo virus, a different species of the Ebola virus.

WHO said it is not yet known whether Ervebo can protect humans against Bundibugyo virus, although early laboratory and animal studies suggest that it may provide some protection.

The Phase III trial is therefore expected to generate evidence on whether the vaccine can offer protection against the virus and help guide future decisions on its use during similar outbreaks.

WHO said people offered the vaccine, whether as part of the trial or outside it, must be informed about the potential risks, benefits and limitations of using Ervebo against Bundibugyo virus and must provide informed consent.

Outbreak spread

According to the latest WHO disease outbreak update, 4,665 confirmed cases and 2,184 deaths had been reported as of 12 August.

The outbreak has expanded from the Mongbwalu health zone in Ituri Province to 54 health zones across six provinces: Ituri, North Kivu, South Kivu, Haut-Uélé, Tshopo and Bas-Uélé.

WHO described the outbreak as being in a phase of intense transmission and said it was the largest Ebola outbreak ever reported in the DRC.

The outbreak was declared on 15 May and has been driven by factors including population movement, insecurity, artisanal mining activities and cross-border travel involving Uganda and South Sudan.

The scale of the outbreak has consequently increased pressure on health authorities and researchers to deploy available interventions while developing tools specifically suited to the Bundibugyo virus.

Vaccine development

In July, PREMIUM TIMES reported that the first human clinical trial of an experimental Bundibugyo Ebola vaccine had begun at the University of Oxford.

The Phase I trial, known as BD-Ebov, is assessing the safety of the experimental ChAdOx1 BDBV vaccine and its ability to stimulate immune responses in healthy adults.

The vaccine was developed by the University of Oxford’s Oxford Vaccine Group and Pandemic Sciences Institute in collaboration with the Serum Institute of India and the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI).

Unlike Ervebo, which is licensed for use against Zaire ebolavirus, ChAdOx1 BDBV was specifically designed to target Bundibugyo virus.

The development of a vaccine specifically targeting the virus is considered important because there is currently no approved vaccine specifically for Bundibugyo virus.

The use of Ervebo in the current outbreak could therefore serve a dual purpose; providing protection to health workers who are at high risk of exposure while generating evidence on whether an existing Ebola vaccine can provide protection against another species of the virus.

WHO’s technical advisory group on candidate vaccine prioritisation recently recommended that Ervebo be included in a randomised clinical trial during the ongoing DRC outbreak following a review of emerging evidence on its potential cross-protection against Bundibugyo virus.

Community response

Beyond the vaccines, WHO and Africa CDC said the success of the response would also depend on the involvement of communities affected by the outbreak.

The two organisations welcomed the allocation of the vaccines and supported the DRC’s focus on a community-led approach, which they said would give communities a central role in the response.

Such an approach, they said, would help protect affected populations, save lives and contain transmission while ensuring that people receiving the vaccine understand its potential benefits and limitations.

The ICG partners are WHO, the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) and United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), while Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance, provides funding for the global vaccine stockpile.

WHO and Africa CDC said they remained committed to supporting the DRC government to end the outbreak while generating scientific evidence that could strengthen preparedness for future outbreaks.

READ ALSO: DRC Ebola outbreak becomes second-largest on record – WHO

Nigeria’s preparedness

The continued spread of the virus has also raised concerns beyond the DRC because of the potential for cross-border transmission.

Nigeria has subsequently heightened its preparedness, with the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (NCDC) activating its Emergency Operations Centre, strengthening surveillance at points of entry and increasing monitoring across states.

The federal government also identified 21 states and the Federal Capital Territory as being at high risk of Ebola infection following a dynamic risk assessment.

State governments were urged to strengthen surveillance, isolation capacity and infection prevention and control measures.


Discover more from Premium Times Nigeria

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Continue Reading

Trending