Connect with us

News

Microsoft is openly competing with OpenAI, Anthropic more than ever

info

Published

on

GettyImages 1930518491.jpg

Microsoft is in a unique position as AI overtakes the tech industry. It’s one of the world’s largest cloud providers and software-as-a-service companies, while also holding valuable stakes in the two biggest AI labs, OpenAI and Anthropic.

Those incentives are starting to clash as Microsoft posts blockbuster financial results. The company just reported an extremely profitable quarter with $90 billion in revenue and net income of $35.8 billion. For the fiscal year, which ended June 30, Microsoft reported $331.8 billion in revenue with a net income of $133.7 billion for the year.

And CEO Satya Nadella is not about to let the trajectory of Anthropic and OpenAI — which are expanding into applications and agentic infrastructure that could ultimately let them own customer relationships — derail that kind of cash.

Nadella has been preaching to enterprises to use multiple models and to stop relying on the frontier AI labs for the agentic harness/app layer.

Doing so is dangerous, he’s been saying, because it requires companies to share too many of their internal secrets with model makers of dubious trustworthiness. He knows his customers. Enterprise IT fears both data leaks and being locked into a vendor.

Now he has openly told Wall Street analysts during the company’s quarterly conference call Wednesday that this is an opportunity for Microsoft to sell customers its own homegrown models, alongside agents, AI security and more, while promising lower costs.

In other words, he’s pitching Microsoft as an alternative to many of the upscale services that OpenAI and Anthropic are developing for their own growth.

When UBS analyst Karl Keirstead specifically asked Nadella to weigh in on the open vs. closed-sourced debate roiling the AI industry, and how Microsoft will benefit from it, Nadella came out swinging.

“The goal is to have the firm be in control of their own destiny,” the CEO said of enterprises. “We are very, very clear about the architectural sort of design of the platform, which is you got to keep your harness separate from the model … that means any model at any given time is swappable.”

Microsoft, of course, sells a menu of harnesses (aka AI agents), too, under the Copilot name, including its coding agent GitHub Copilot. Coding agents are where much of the AI dollars are being spent today.

And he used the high-profile incident from last week as proof of his warnings.

“If you look even at the Hugging Face incident, the biggest thing that we should take away from that is you can’t sort of depend on any one model,” Nadella said. “You will maybe need multiple models to even remediate some challenges that get caused by one model. Like that’s the way to think about it, right? Which is you can’t be subject to a refusal of one model.”

The incident involved an unreleased model from OpenAI breaking out of its sandbox and successfully mounting a full-scale hack on Hugging Face, all in pursuit of besting a benchmark. Trying to understand what happened, Hugging Face at first tried to use a private frontier model (which it hasn’t named) that refused to help it. So it turned to the Chinese open-source model Z.ai GLM 5.2 to analyze logs and defend its infrastructure. The incident has so shocked the industry that even Sam Altman is now saying that maybe AI development should slow down a bit.

Nadella also made clear that Microsoft is happily selling its own homegrown models, the MAI family, on its own homegrown AI chips, Maya, and pitching them as cheaper alternatives.

“Every customer wants the right model for each task based on quality, latency, cost, and compliance. We offer the broadest model catalog in the cloud with over 11,000 models, including the leads from OpenAI, Anthropic, Mistral, xAI, as well as our own MAI family,” he said.

He added: “We’re also accelerating our own model development. We announced more than a dozen new models across image, voice, transcription, coding, security, including our first reasoning model, MAI thinking one, all with cost-efficient inference at the core for the enterprise use cases. We are co-designing these models with our silicon, and we are seeing 40% better performance per watt when running MAI models on Maya 200.”

As for Mythos? Nadella pointed to Microsoft’s new Mythos competitor announced earlier this week, MAI Cyber One Flash. It “achieves better performance than the much larger Mythos model, but at half the cost when combined with our multi-agent security harness,” he said.

Sure, the Microsoft CEO says that enterprises should use the frontier models that OpenAI and Anthropic offer in their mix. But his bigger message is: don’t trust them enough to rely on them.

When you purchase through links in our articles, we may earn a small commission. This doesn’t affect our editorial independence.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Health

Ebola: DRC gets 70,000 Ervebo vaccine doses as Bundibugyo outbreak worsens

info

Published

on

By

Vaccines for homeless western cape vaccination.jpg

MTN ADVERT

The Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has received an initial allocation of 70,000 doses of the Ervebo Ebola vaccine to support the response to the ongoing Bundibugyo virus disease outbreak.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) and the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) disclosed this in a joint statement on Thursday.

The allocation followed a request by the DRC government last week for vaccines from the global Ebola virus disease vaccine stockpile managed by the International Coordinating Group on Vaccine Provision (ICG).

Of the 70,000 doses, 20,000 will be used in a Phase III clinical trial to assess whether Ervebo can protect against Bundibugyo virus, while the remaining 50,000 doses will be administered to frontline and health workers in line with recommendations by the WHO Strategic Advisory Group of Experts on Immunisation (SAGE).

Why the vaccine is being tested

The decision to use part of the allocation in a clinical trial reflects the uncertainty surrounding the effectiveness of Ervebo against Bundibugyo virus.

PT WHATSAPP CHANNEL

Ervebo is a licensed vaccine recommended for use during outbreaks caused by the Zaire species of Ebola virus. The current outbreak in the DRC, however, is caused by Bundibugyo virus, a different species of the Ebola virus.

WHO said it is not yet known whether Ervebo can protect humans against Bundibugyo virus, although early laboratory and animal studies suggest that it may provide some protection.

The Phase III trial is therefore expected to generate evidence on whether the vaccine can offer protection against the virus and help guide future decisions on its use during similar outbreaks.

WHO said people offered the vaccine, whether as part of the trial or outside it, must be informed about the potential risks, benefits and limitations of using Ervebo against Bundibugyo virus and must provide informed consent.

Outbreak spread

According to the latest WHO disease outbreak update, 4,665 confirmed cases and 2,184 deaths had been reported as of 12 August.

The outbreak has expanded from the Mongbwalu health zone in Ituri Province to 54 health zones across six provinces: Ituri, North Kivu, South Kivu, Haut-Uélé, Tshopo and Bas-Uélé.

WHO described the outbreak as being in a phase of intense transmission and said it was the largest Ebola outbreak ever reported in the DRC.

The outbreak was declared on 15 May and has been driven by factors including population movement, insecurity, artisanal mining activities and cross-border travel involving Uganda and South Sudan.

The scale of the outbreak has consequently increased pressure on health authorities and researchers to deploy available interventions while developing tools specifically suited to the Bundibugyo virus.

Vaccine development

In July, PREMIUM TIMES reported that the first human clinical trial of an experimental Bundibugyo Ebola vaccine had begun at the University of Oxford.

The Phase I trial, known as BD-Ebov, is assessing the safety of the experimental ChAdOx1 BDBV vaccine and its ability to stimulate immune responses in healthy adults.

The vaccine was developed by the University of Oxford’s Oxford Vaccine Group and Pandemic Sciences Institute in collaboration with the Serum Institute of India and the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI).

Unlike Ervebo, which is licensed for use against Zaire ebolavirus, ChAdOx1 BDBV was specifically designed to target Bundibugyo virus.

The development of a vaccine specifically targeting the virus is considered important because there is currently no approved vaccine specifically for Bundibugyo virus.

The use of Ervebo in the current outbreak could therefore serve a dual purpose; providing protection to health workers who are at high risk of exposure while generating evidence on whether an existing Ebola vaccine can provide protection against another species of the virus.

WHO’s technical advisory group on candidate vaccine prioritisation recently recommended that Ervebo be included in a randomised clinical trial during the ongoing DRC outbreak following a review of emerging evidence on its potential cross-protection against Bundibugyo virus.

Community response

Beyond the vaccines, WHO and Africa CDC said the success of the response would also depend on the involvement of communities affected by the outbreak.

The two organisations welcomed the allocation of the vaccines and supported the DRC’s focus on a community-led approach, which they said would give communities a central role in the response.

Such an approach, they said, would help protect affected populations, save lives and contain transmission while ensuring that people receiving the vaccine understand its potential benefits and limitations.

The ICG partners are WHO, the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) and United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), while Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance, provides funding for the global vaccine stockpile.

WHO and Africa CDC said they remained committed to supporting the DRC government to end the outbreak while generating scientific evidence that could strengthen preparedness for future outbreaks.

READ ALSO: DRC Ebola outbreak becomes second-largest on record – WHO

Nigeria’s preparedness

The continued spread of the virus has also raised concerns beyond the DRC because of the potential for cross-border transmission.

Nigeria has subsequently heightened its preparedness, with the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (NCDC) activating its Emergency Operations Centre, strengthening surveillance at points of entry and increasing monitoring across states.

The federal government also identified 21 states and the Federal Capital Territory as being at high risk of Ebola infection following a dynamic risk assessment.

State governments were urged to strengthen surveillance, isolation capacity and infection prevention and control measures.


Discover more from Premium Times Nigeria

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Continue Reading

News

2027: Obi pledges campaign devoid of ethnicity, religion, marshals out plan for zones

info

Published

on

By

As campaigns commence for the 2027 general elections, the presidential candidate of the Nigeria Democratic Congress, NDC, Mr Peter Obi has marshalled out his plans for Nigerians, pledging to run a campaign devoid of ethnicity and religion.

Obi, who spoke to journalists at a world press conference in his home in Onitsha, Anambra State on Friday, also gave a blow by blow account of how he will develop the country, including his areas of concentration in the various regions of the country. 

He said the election is no doubt a defining moment for Nigeria’s democracy, and that it gives Nigerians the opportunity to assess the records, ideas, and plans of those seeking their mandate to lead their country at a time of grave uncertainty in a rapidly changing world.

Part of his text read: “I consider myself quite privileged to be one of those seeking your mandate to deal with these challenges facing our country. I enter this contest with one firm conviction: Nigeria can work, and Nigeria must work. Nigeria faces several serious challenges. Some of them are indeed of existential proportions.

“According to the IMF, 63%, or over 140 million Nigerians, live at or below the national poverty line, while humanitarian agencies estimate that 35 million people will need food assistance during the 2026 lean season. About 3.6 million Nigerians remain internally displaced, largely because of conflict and insecurity. 

“Each year, millions of young people enter the labour market, yet too many struggle to find productive opportunities. Weak infrastructure, unreliable power, insecurity, and the excessive cost of doing business continue to burden households and constrain enterprise. These are more than statistics. They reflect the daily realities of Nigerian families, farmers, workers, students, and businesses.”

Pledging to run a campaign devoid of ethnicity and religion, Obi said: “The campaign period gives every citizen an opportunity to join the national conversation. I urge Nigerians to examine each candidate’s record and proposals, ask tough questions, and demand evidence behind every promise.

“We should debate ideas without hatred, compete without violence, and disagree without weakening the bonds that unite us. When Nigerians make their choice, that choice must be respected.

“Nigerians must reject and disregard any campaign driven by propaganda, ethnicity, religion, elitism, or cronyism. As my team and I travel across the country, we will listen to Nigerians, understand their needs and concerns, and assure them that we have the competence, character, and compassion to lead and reset Nigeria for the benefit of all.”

Espousing the strength of the six geopolitical zones where he will strengthen, Obi said: “Nigeria’s diversity is an economic strength. Each region has distinct assets, and national policy must unlock those assets while connecting them to one productive economy.

“The North-West can expand agriculture, livestock, irrigation, agro-processing, and manufacturing while strengthening education and security. The North-East can speed up reconstruction, restore livelihoods, and expand agriculture, education, enterprise, and regional trade.

“The North-Central can strengthen food production and processing while developing its mineral resources responsibly. The South-West can build on its strengths in manufacturing, technology, finance, trade, and the creative economy.

“The South-East can expand its entrepreneurial and industrial strength through better infrastructure, stronger connectivity, and greater access to investment. The South-South can derive greater value from oil and gas while expanding maritime services, fisheries, agriculture, and other productive sectors, supported by stronger environmental protection. 

“The Federal Capital Territory must demonstrate what efficient urban planning, transportation, housing, sanitation, security, and public services can achieve. Every region must produce. Every region must contribute. Every region must benefit.”

The presidential hopeful took the opportunity to speak about his pedigree in governance, saying, “My successful private-sector experience, studies in institutions of repute on policy and business matters, and my service as Governor of Anambra State have shaped my understanding of public leadership. Government must manage resources responsibly, set clear priorities, and measure the outcomes of its decisions. Public office is not a reward; it is a responsibility to the people.

“In Anambra, I prioritised the foundations of long-term development; education, healthcare, infrastructure, fiscal discipline, and institutional capacity. I do not present that record as perfect, but as an experience from which Nigerians can draw their own conclusions.

“Senator Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso brings a different but complementary governing experience. As Governor of Kano State, he focused strongly on education, technical training, scholarships, infrastructure, and human-capital development. His administration’s investments in education and skills showed an understanding that the people are a state’s most important long-term resource.

“Our experiences are different, but our conclusion is the same: Nigeria must invest in its people and manage public resources with discipline,” Obi stated.

Continue Reading

Trending