The Governor of Plateau State, Barr. Caleb Manasseh Mutfwang has flagged off the monthly environmental sanitation in Jos, the state capital. The exercise which is the first since coming into office about a month ago, is part of Governor Mutfwang’s vision of maintaining a clean and healthy environment to prevent the spread of infectious diseases.
Governor Mutfwang, who flagged off the exercise on Saturday along the Federal Secretariat road, Tudun Wada Jos, said the exercise would be replicated at the end of every month across the 17 Local Government Areas of the State.
“We are here to take a definite step to reinforce what we started from 30th May, 2023 when I declared a state of emergency on environmental sanitation. I want to say that the Task Force we constituted have done a great job so far and we want to appreciate them for what they have done.
“The issue of cleaning the environment is beyond the Task Force. It is something that must become a way of life for us. We are not a dirty people, we are people that live cleanliness and therefore, we must pick up the courage to begin again to ensure that our houses are kept clean, our neighborhoods are kept clean to ensure that the entire city is kept clean.
“But beyond the state capital, all other areas including the 17 local government areas should maintain the same drive towards ensuring cleanliness in their local government areas. From this day onward, we want to declare that every last Saturday of the month will be observed as Sanitation Day.”
Governor Mutfwang said the sanitation exercise should not be left to government alone, and charged every neighborhood to organize itself to maintain cleanliness in line with the vision of the administration.
“In the next sanitation day, sanitation courts will begin to move around to sanction people who do not share in the vision of keeping the environment clean, I don’t want anybody to be caught on the wrong side of the law. That is why we are educating our people to make sure that there is compliance”, he stated.
Chairman of the Task Force on Environmental Sanitation and Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Environment, Mr. Albert Chaimang appreciated Governor Mutfwang for setting up a Committee to ensure a clean and healthy environment.
He said the Committee is determined to work round the clock to support the vision of Governor Mutfwang who believes that Plateau people will fare better in a clean environment as it is said that “cleanliness is next to godliness”.
The Governor was accompanied by the First Lady, Her Excellency, Barr. Helen Mutfwang; the Deputy Governor, Her Excellency, Ngo Josephine Piyo, Secretary to the Government of the State, Arc. Samuel Nanchang Jatau; Chief of Staff, Engr. Jeremiah Satmark, Special Adviser on Political Affairs, Chief Letep Dabang among other members of the Task Force on Environmental Sanitation.
BY NKECHI BAECHE-ESEZOBOR—Consolidated Hallmark Holdings Plc, has reported a robust 47 per cent growth in insurance revenue for the 2025 financial year, alongside a record-breaking dividend payout, despite navigating severe capital market volatility that impacted its bottom line.
Speaking at the group’s 3rd Annual General Meeting (AGM) in Lagos, Group Chairman Shuaibu Idris disclosed that insurance revenue surged to N43.27 billion in 2025, up from N29.42 billion in the previous fiscal year.
The net insurance service result—reflecting performance after meeting claims, reinsurance obligations, and direct costs—rose sharply by 121 per cent to N6.85 billion, up from N3.10 billion in 2024.
Additionally, non-insurance operations picked up significant momentum, with operating and other non-insurance income jumping 61 per cent from N4.09 billion to N6.59 billion.
The group’s Profit Before Tax (PBT) declined to N8.44 billion from N22.65 billion in 2024. He attributed this drop entirely to a sharp decline in the mark-to-market valuation of the group’s capital market investments.
Cash and cash equivalents nearly doubled, climbing 96 per cent to N7.38 billion while financial assets grew 65 per cent to N45.90 billion.
Total assets expanded by 33 per cent to N75.94 billion, while shareholders’ funds marked a 21 per cent growth.
He noted that the fundamentals of the investment remained strong and hold better prospects for the future,” Idris stated, noting that consistency and diversity served as the group’s strength in a volatile year.
The group’s balance sheet remained highly liquid and well-capitalized:
Following its outstanding performance the board proposed a final dividend of 15 kobo per share. When combined with the 10 kobo interim dividend already distributed, CHH’s total dividend for the year stands at 25 kobo per share.
“This is the highest dividend that we have ever paid,” Idris told shareholders, expressing optimism about maintaining the growth trajectory.
Also, the Group Chief Executive Officer, Mr. Eddie Efekoha, who’s responding to shareholders questions, confirmed that the financial holding structure is perfectly insulated from recapitalization pressures.
“Our Group does not require additional capital to meet the new regulatory thresholds. We are not compelled to seek mergers or external funding, as our capital base remains strong and sufficient,” Efekoha asserted.
Efekoha noted that businesses and individuals are increasingly turning to dependable financial protection amid macro-economic uncertainties, and added that it achieved its resilience through disciplined underwriting, cost optimization, and rigorous operational processes across its subsidiaries.
The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has moved to stop incumbent telecoms operators from using control of network infrastructure to frustrate the rollout of Mobile Virtual Network Operators (MVNOs) in the country.
To match words with action, the telecoms industry regulator is introducing stricter rules aimed at guaranteeing fair and transparent access to network resources in Nigeria’s telecoms market.
The provisions are contained in the NCC’s Draft Business Rules for Mobile Virtual Network Operations in Nigeria, a proposed regulatory framework designed to govern the operational relationship between Host Network Operators (HNOs) and MVNO licensees.
Technology Times Infographics show the market ranking of the top four mobile network operators (MNOs) in Nigeria. The NCC has introduced draft rules to stop telecoms operators from frustrating MVNO rollout in Nigeria, proposing strict onboarding timelines, fair access obligations and anti-discrimination measures.
According to the draft rules, a Host Network Operator “shall not engage in any act or omission” that delays, frustrates, restricts, or prevents the onboarding, integration, testing, launch, or scale-up of an MVNO operating within the scope of its licence.
Telecoms regulator mulls new rules to aid go-live of MVNOs
Under the proposed framework, telecoms operators would be prohibited from withholding network access, delaying onboarding processes, restricting technical integration, or deploying opaque capacity allocation systems that could hinder MVNO operations.
According to the draft rules, a Host Network Operator “shall not engage in any act or omission” that delays, frustrates, restricts, or prevents the onboarding, integration, testing, launch, or scale-up of an MVNO operating within the scope of its licence.
The Commission further barred hosts from:
imposing duplicative technical or administrative requirements;
delaying the release of APIs, interfaces, and test access;
applying discriminatory capacity allocation practices; and
using internal sequencing or prioritisation systems to unfairly postpone MVNO onboarding.
The NCC warned that such actions could amount to anti-competitive conduct and may attract regulatory sanctions.
The proposed framework comes amid concerns over delays in the operational rollout of licensed MVNOs in Nigeria, despite the issuance of multiple licences since the Commission opened the market to virtual operators.
Under the draft rules, Host Network Operators would be required to acknowledge hosting requests from MVNOs within 10 days and provide substantive responses within 20 days.
The framework also mandates telecoms operators and MVNOs to conclude commercial and technical agreements within a maximum period of 120 days from the date of formal request.
In a significant provision targeted at reducing bureaucratic bottlenecks, the NCC stated that internal corporate approval procedures would no longer be accepted as justification for prolonged onboarding delays.
“Internal approval processes shall not override this timeline,” the draft rules stated.
The Commission also proposed stronger regulatory oversight powers during onboarding and integration processes.
According to the framework, the NCC may intervene where negotiations encounter significant delays and could issue directives relating to:
access;
capacity allocation;
technical enablement;
implementation milestones; and
remedial measures necessary to enforce compliance with the rules.
The proposed rules further require Host Network Operators to provide MVNOs with adequate technical visibility and implementation support necessary for onboarding and commercial launch.
These include:
API documentation;
test environments;
provisioning support;
capacity planning information;
interface specifications; and
technical configurations required for deployment.
The Commission stated that any claim by a Host Network Operator regarding technical infeasibility or capacity limitations must be objectively justifiable and verifiable upon request.
The framework also introduces non-discrimination obligations requiring hosts to treat similarly situated MVNOs fairly in relation to:
access;
onboarding sequence;
technical support;
commercial treatment; and
quality of service.
In another major provision, the NCC stated that MVNO traffic must not be degraded, throttled, or deprioritised relative to comparable traffic on the same network, except where required by law or security controls.
The Commission said the proposed rules are intended to:
promote fair competition;
reduce onboarding delays;
improve service quality;
broaden participation in the telecomsmarket; and
support sustainable industry growth.
The framework also introduces detailed provisions covering:
interconnection;
numbering resources;
SIM and eSIM management;
revenue-sharing;
consumer protection;
dispute resolution; and
quality of service obligations.
According to the NCC, existing agreements between telecoms operators and MVNOs would be reviewed and aligned with the new rules within 30 days of commencement if the framework is eventually adopted.