Connect with us

News

Xenophobia: Nigeria warns South Africa tensions could hit MTN – Technology Times

info

Published

on

1781808356 admin ajax.png

Stay connected via Google News


Add as preferred source on GoogleAdd as preferred source on Google

The Federal Government has signalled that rising xenophobic tensions in South Africa could have implications for the operating environment of major South African businesses operating in Nigeria, particularly telecoms giant MTN Nigeria, and other firms with significant investments in the country.

The warning comes as anti-immigration groups in South Africa intensify campaigns against foreign nationals ahead of a June 30 deadline issued by some activist groups demanding that undocumented migrants leave the country.

In Nigeria, South African-linked companies maintain a strong presence across banking, broadcasting, hospitality and financial services. These include MTN Nigeria, the nation’s largest mobile network operator with over 95 million phone subscribers, Stanbic IBTC, majority-owned by South Africa’s Standard Bank Group, MultiChoice, operator of the DStv platform, and hotel brands such as Protea.

Speaking during an interview with TVC News on anti-migrant protests in South Africa, Bianca Odumegwu-Ojukwu, Minister of Foreign Affairs, expressed concern over the treatment of Nigerians in the country and suggested that lawmakers could consider measures aimed at making South Africa “feel the pinch” if the attacks and harassment of Nigerians continue.

nigeria-warns-south-africa-tensions-may-hit-mtnnigeria-warns-south-africa-tensions-may-hit-mtn
Odumegwu-Ojukwu, Nigeria’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, is seen in the photo. The Federal Government has signalled that rising xenophobic tensions in South Africa could have implications for the operating environment of major South African businesses operating in Nigeria, particularly telecoms giant MTN Nigeria, and other firms with significant investments in the country. Image credit: Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

 

“Nobody is asking them to provide proof of identity, nobody is asking South African staff that go to work here whether they are South Africans or Nigerians and nobody is taking over their shops or their businesses. But this is happening to Nigerians in South Africa,” she said.

South Africa’s xenophobia: Lawmakers to decide fate of MTN Nigeria, minister says  

Responding to concerns about firms such as MTN and other South African companies operating in Nigeria, Odumegwu-Ojukwu stressed that Nigerians have generally allowed South African businesses to operate freely despite recurring tensions.

“Nobody is asking them to provide proof of identity, nobody is asking South African staff that go to work here whether they are South Africans or Nigerians and nobody is taking over their shops or their businesses. But this is happening to Nigerians in South Africa,” she said.

Odumegwu-Ojukwu revealed that discussions with South African authorities had not provided the assurances Nigeria was seeking. According to the minister, South African authorities cited difficulties in protecting migrants because foreign nationals are dispersed across local communities rather than concentrated in designated areas.

“I must say the conversation was not particularly encouraging,” she said, referring to engagements with her South African counterpart.

The minister also accused South Africa of failing to fully implement a previously agreed memorandum designed to provide early warning mechanisms during periods of tension.

“We signed this memorandum. Once they got back to South Africa, they decided that they weren’t going to adhere to it,” she said.

Although South African President Cyril Ramaphosa has publicly condemned vigilantism and insisted that ordinary citizens have no authority to demand identity documents from migrants, Odumegwu-Ojukwu said stronger action is still needed to curb harassment and attacks. Drawing a comparison with a previous diplomatic intervention in Ghana, she said Nigerian authorities had not seen the same level of urgency from South Africa.

While the minister stopped short of endorsing direct action against South African firms, she acknowledged growing calls for a review of Nigeria’s response.

“Those options are not on the table for me. The options are on the table for our legislators. They themselves will come up with what steps that need to be taken to make South Africa feel the pinch,” she said.

The minister argued that continued attacks were already harming South Africa’s international image, adding that the country has been “stained with the stigma of a xenophobic country.”

Stay ahead with real-time reports, breaking news, and exclusive insights delivered directly to your phone. Don’t settle for outdated information. Join TECHNOLOGYTIMES NEWS on WhatsApp for 24/7 updates.

Join Our Whatsapp Channel

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Taraba South: Ashumate Unveils Legislative Agenda

info

Published

on

By

Screenshot 2026 08 21 at 12.47.08 AM 1200x675.png

The Peoples Democratic Party candidate for Taraba South Senatorial District, Dr Jesse Ashumate, has outlined a legislative programme focused on agriculture, security, healthcare and employment opportunities for residents of the zone.

Ashumate unveiled the agenda in Abuja on Thursday while inaugurating his campaign council ahead of the forthcoming general elections.

The former Taraba State Commissioner for Finance said his priorities, if elected to the Senate, would include attracting agricultural infrastructure to the district, promoting peaceful coexistence and creating opportunities for young people and small businesses.

Agriculture featured prominently in his proposals, with Ashumate arguing that Taraba South possesses enormous potential in rice, yam and fish production but lacks sufficient infrastructure to maximise its contribution to Nigeria’s food supply.

He said the quality and volume of agricultural produce from Taraba deserved greater recognition and corresponding federal investment. According to him, although Benue is widely described as Nigeria’s food basket, Taraba contributes significantly to the food that reaches markets across the country.

Ashumate said he would pursue legislation and federal interventions aimed at establishing specialised agricultural institutions within the senatorial district.

Among the proposals are a fisheries institution around communities along the River Benue basin and crop research facilities designed to provide technical support, improved seedlings and modern farming knowledge to local farmers.

He also pledged to promote irrigation and other modern agricultural practices to reduce farmers’ dependence on seasonal rainfall and improve productivity throughout the year.

On insecurity, Ashumate said recurring communal disputes and farmer-herder clashes required solutions that addressed both security and economic realities. He advocated a gradual transition from open grazing to modern ranching, arguing that Nigeria’s growing population and increasing pressure on available land had made the old system increasingly difficult to sustain.

The PDP candidate pointed to established ranching operations on the Mambilla Plateau as evidence that livestock production could be successfully conducted under a more organised system. He said herders should be adequately sensitised on the economic benefits of ranching, including improved livestock productivity and reduced conflict with farming communities.

Ashumate also expressed support for a properly designed state police system, provided that adequate safeguards were put in place to prevent abuse. He added that legislation should continue to protect the constitutional rights of Nigerians to reside, conduct lawful businesses and move freely in any part of the country.

Beyond agriculture and security, the candidate promised to push for improved healthcare facilities in rural communities and increase efforts to secure federal employment opportunities for qualified constituents.

He also identified Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises as an important tool for reducing unemployment, promising to support initiatives that would make financing and other forms of assistance more accessible to entrepreneurs in Taraba South.

Ashumate said his broader objective was to promote a society in which economic opportunities were expanded while communities lived together peacefully regardless of ethnic or social differences.

An indigene of Wukari Local Government Area, Ashumate is a Fellow of the West African College of Physicians. He previously worked as a Principal Medical Officer in public health institutions in Taraba State and later served as Director of Health Services at the Federal University, Wukari.

He also served two terms as Commissioner for Finance in Taraba State.

Continue Reading

Health

FEC approves N540bn to upgrade National Hospital, build cancer centre

info

Published

on

By

Professor Muhammad Ali Pate copy.jpg

MTN ADVERT

The Federal Executive Council (FEC) has approved projects worth about N540 billion to upgrade the National Hospital, Abuja, to a quaternary healthcare institution and to build a new cancer treatment centre.

Quaternary healthcare refers to highly specialised medical care involving advanced treatment, research and management of complex conditions.

The approvals were disclosed by the Minister of Health and Social Welfare, Muhammad Pate, after the weekly FEC meeting on Wednesday.

The Personal Assistant to President Bola Tinubu on Special Duties, Kamorudeen Yusuf, shared details of the approvals in a post on X.

The approved projects include the construction of new facilities at the National Hospital, Abuja, a Neuroscience Institute and a new National Institute for Cancer Research and Treatment (NICRAT) facility.

PT WHATSAPP CHANNEL

National Hospital upgrade

According to Yusuf, the council approved N18.74 million for the refitting of the hospital’s administrative block, with Visible Construction Limited awarded the contract.

It also approved N64.92 billion for modular clinics and a theatre complex, to be constructed by Strabbing Construction Limited.

Another N103 billion was approved for a new hospital wing, with CBC Global Civil Construction Limited awarded the contract.

The project is expected to be completed within 24 months.

The council further approved N69 billion for a Neuroscience Institute covering neurosurgery, radiology and rehabilitation. CBC Global Civil and Building Construction Limited was awarded the contract.

The approvals are part of plans to transform the National Hospital, which Pate said had lagged behind its “original vision” due to years of underinvestment since its establishment about 25 years ago.

Cancer centre

The largest of the approved projects is the N302.3 billion facility for the National Institute for Cancer Research and Treatment.

Yusuf said the project, awarded to CBC Global Civil and Building Construction Nigeria Limited, has a 36-month completion period.

READ ALSO: FG seeks African-led research, partnerships to tackle hepatobiliary cancers

The facility is expected to strengthen cancer research and treatment capacity in the country.

“The projects follow President Tinubu’s directive to strengthen healthcare infrastructure nationwide, and that funding comes through National Assembly appropriations already reflected in the 2025 and 2026 budgets rather than direct ministry allocation,” Pate was quoted to have said.


Discover more from Premium Times Nigeria

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Continue Reading

Trending