Connect with us

News

2027: Kwankwaso submits NDC candidates’ name in 19 Northern states, FCT

info

Published

on

1000368309.jpg

The Vice-Presidential candidate of the Nigeria Democratic Congress, NDC, Rabi’u Kwankwaso, has submitted the names of the NDC candidates in the 19 Northern states, including the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Kwankwaso made this known in a statement posted on his verified X handle on Thursday.

He thanked the leadership of the party and all the candidates for their cooperation and unwavering commitment.

The former Kano State governor described the move as another decisive step towards building a formidable NDC team capable of competing strongly at every level.

According to him, the task ahead is promising, and he expressed their readiness to go ahead.

“In a spirit of complete collaboration, support and solidarity, I led the coordination and formal submission of National Democratic Congress, NDC, candidates across the 19 Northern states and the Federal Capital Territory.

“Working closely with the National Working Committee, NWC, and candidates at all levels, the exercise was successfully concluded today, Thursday, 20th August 2026, with the formal presentation of all candidates’ names to the NDC National Leader, His Excellency Sen. Seriake Dickson,” he tweeted.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

GOVERNOR MUTFWANG VISITS ATTACKED COMMUNITY IN MANGU, CONDOLES BEREAVED FAMILIES

info

Published

on

By

IMG 2526.jpeg

“This is not an attack on the community alone; it is an attack on me.”

Plateau State Governor, His Excellency Barr. Caleb Manasseh Mutfwang, has visited the people of Bin Mper Community in Kombun District of Mangu Local Government Area following the deadly attack on the community on Tuesday, August 18, 2026.

The attack reportedly claimed the lives of several residents and left others injured, prompting the Governor to visit the affected community, receive security briefings and personally condole with bereaved families.

Addressing residents, particularly women, Governor Mutfwang described the incident as barbaric, senseless and unacceptable, expressing deep pain over the loss of innocent lives.

The Governor said the attack was not only an assault on the affected community but also a direct affront to his person and the collective determination of the Plateau State Government to protect the lives, property and ancestral lands of its citizens.

“This is not an attack on the community alone; it is an attack on me. I pray that God will grant you peace and comfort. The police have said that some persons have been arrested, and we will follow the matter to its logical conclusion.”

He further assured the community:

“We will do everything within our powers to ensure that you remain on your land. Nobody will take over your land.”

Governor Mutfwang pledged to strengthen existing security measures and deploy additional strategies to protect vulnerable communities and prevent a recurrence of such attacks.

He noted that the incident occurred at a time when the state government had been reviewing its security architecture in collaboration with security agencies, including the new General Officer Commanding 3 Division, Nigerian Army, with renewed emphasis on intelligence gathering, coordinated operations and proactive protection of lives and property.

The Governor condoled with families who lost loved ones and prayed for the quick recovery of those injured. He also commended Plateau youths for their courage, resilience and continued support for community security, urging them to remain peaceful, vigilant and law-abiding.

According to him, defeating insecurity requires strong cooperation among communities, traditional institutions, government and security agencies. He expressed confidence that sustained and coordinated efforts would enable Plateau to overcome banditry, terrorism and other criminal activities threatening the peace of the state.

SECURITY BRIEFING AND TRADITIONAL RULER VISIT

Earlier, Governor Mutfwang received a security briefing from the General Officer Commanding 3 Division, Nigerian Army, where he called for more proactive, intelligence-driven and coordinated measures to identify threats early and protect vulnerable communities.

The Governor also paid a sympathy visit to the Mishkagham Mwaghavul, His Royal Highness Da. John Putmang Hirse, where he condoled with the traditional ruler, the bereaved families and the entire Mwaghavul Nation.

He reaffirmed that his administration would not relent in the fight against banditry and other forms of criminality, assuring the traditional ruler that he would continue to stand firmly with the people.

MWAGHAVUL LEADERS RESPOND

Receiving the Governor, the Mishkagham Mwaghavul, His Royal Highness Da. John Putmang Hirse, appreciated him for identifying with the people in their moment of grief.

He described the attack as senseless and deliberate, noting that the perpetrators appeared determined to inflict pain and destabilise a peaceful community.

“This is something we least expected. People were asleep when they were massacred. Mangu is one of the most peaceful Local Government Areas. We live peacefully with our neighbours and accommodate visitors, yet we were attacked.”

The traditional ruler assured that the Mwaghavul people would remain resilient, peaceful and law-abiding, stressing that no amount of intimidation would force them to abandon their ancestral lands or communities.

Also speaking, the President of the Mwaghavul Development Association (MDA) Women’s Wing, Mrs. Grace Joseph Gora, expressed sympathy to the bereaved families and described the attack as unacceptable.

She appealed to women in the community to remain calm and peaceful while supporting government and security agencies in efforts to restore lasting security.

Governor Mutfwang’s visit underscores his administration’s determination to stand with communities affected by insecurity, strengthen the state’s security architecture, protect Plateau’s territorial integrity and preserve the ancestral heritage of its people.

The Governor was accompanied by the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Community Engagement, Dr. Mrs. Abiodun Esiet, top government officials and heads of security agencies in the state.



Continue Reading

Health

Expert warns against practices that can cause condom failure

info

Published

on

By

Preview16 e1787247871113.jpg

MTN ADVERT

An HIV prevention expert has cautioned that improper use of condoms, including the use of oil-based lubricants, can increase the likelihood of condoms breaking and undermine protection against HIV and other sexually transmitted infections.

The Senior Manager for Prevention Programmes at the AIDS Healthcare Foundation, Taofeek Adeleye, issued the warning in Lagos on Thursday during a two-day training for journalists and social media influencers on HIV Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP).

The National Agency for the Control of AIDS (NACA) organised the training in collaboration with the World Health Organisation (WHO). It aims to enhance journalists’ understanding of PrEP and other HIV prevention strategies and to improve public access to accurate information about HIV.

Adeleye stated that those relying on condoms for protection should be vigilant about correct usage, including selecting the right condom size and employing suitable lubricants.

He advised against the use of palm oil, vegetable oil, and other oil-based substances with condoms, recommending water-based lubricants instead.

PT WHATSAPP CHANNEL

“You can’t use palm oil, honey oil, balsamic, or vegetable oil. You can use water-based lubricants, which are advisable,” he said.

His caution aligns with international guidance on condom usage.

The United States Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (US-CDC) advises people using latex condoms to use water-based or silicone-based lubricants rather than oil-based products. The agency emphasises that oil-based lubricants can weaken condoms and lead to breakage.

Similarly, WHO says lubricants can reduce the likelihood of condoms breaking, slipping or falling off when used correctly.

Adeleye also underlined the importance of using condoms of the appropriate size.

He recommended that individuals take precautions before engaging in sexual activity and remain conscious of potential risks.

“I always advise men that when you are going to engage in sexual activity, you should also look around. When you are coming in here, you look at the room before you enter. You don’t just go into a place without knowing what is there,” he explained.

Condoms still crucial with PrEP

This discussion coincides with Nigeria’s expanding focus on preventing new HIV infections through multiple measures, including condoms, HIV testing, and PrEP.

PrEP is an HIV prevention method for individuals without HIV but at risk. It involves medication to reduce the chance of acquiring the virus.

However, PrEP does not guard against other sexually transmitted infections or unintended pregnancies. WHO recommends that condoms and lubricants continue to be part of HIV prevention services along with PrEP.

READ ALSO: Condom prices set to rise globally, may affect Nigeria

Nigeria is also seeking to strengthen its HIV prevention response. In March, NACA launched the National HIV Prevention Plan 2026–2030, shifting greater attention towards preventing new infections rather than relying primarily on treatment after infection.

New infections

Despite progress in expanding treatment and prevention services, Nigeria continues to see thousands of new HIV infections, according to NACA’s Director-General, Temitope Ilori.

Ilori stated that about 45,000 new infections were recorded last year, with concerns about infections among young people.

“We have new infections coming up. There were about 45,000 new infections as of last year. We’re still gathering information regarding this year,” she said.

She highlighted that these figures reinforce the need to strengthen prevention efforts, noting that while approximately 1.3 per cent of the general population live with HIV, over 98 per cent are HIV-negative.

She asserted that Nigeria’s response should focus on preventing new infections while ensuring that those living with HIV have access to treatment.

Ilori identified condoms and PrEP among the key HIV prevention options, emphasising that individuals should adopt prevention methods suitable for their circumstances and level of risk.


Discover more from Premium Times Nigeria

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Continue Reading

Trending