Connect with us

Health

UCTH CMD says relocation of medical professionals gradually reducing

info

Published

on

473550122 1547914766152557 4310665199470058027 n scaled.jpg

The Chief Medical Director (CMD) of the University of Calabar Teaching Hospital (UCTH), Ikpeme Ikpeme, says the relocation of Nigerian medical professionals abroad is gradually declining.

Mr Ikpeme said this at a press conference in Calabar on Tuesday, attributing the development to steps taken by the federal government to improve workers’ welfare and upgrade healthcare facilities.

He said the development had begun to reduce the urge for medical professionals to abandon their jobs to travel abroad.

The CMD explained that the government’s effort is also encouraging medical professionals abroad to return to the country.

“With what we have done so far, some colleagues who travelled abroad have returned, and are now with us here,” he said.

“Health professionals prefer environments that offer good salaries, modern equipment and conducive workplaces.

“The federal government has given priority attention to the provision of advanced medical equipment to discourage professionals from leaving the country.

“An example of such facility is the installation of a 1.5-Tesla MRI Machine, this is a deliberate effort to meet global medical standards,” he said.

Mr Ikpeme stated that UCTH currently enjoys uninterrupted electricity supply in critical departments, including the Intensive Care Unit, theatre, labour ward, and radiology unit.

“Stable power supply has significantly improved healthcare delivery and staff morale within the facility,” he said.

Mr Ikpeme further said that the institution had embarked on major drainage projects to address flooding challenges.

He said that the management is taking steps to protect the environment through fumigation and planting of trees with mosquito-repellent and pesticidal properties. (NAN)

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Health

Kwara hands over refurbished primary health centres to two communities 

info

Published

on

By

Gddf.png

The Kwara State Government on Tuesday in Ilorin, officially handed over two rehabilitated Primary Healthcare Centres (PHC) to the benefitting communities in the Ifelodun and Ilorin West Local Government Areas respectively.

The two healthcare centres are located at Ganmo in the Ifelodun LGA and Alanamu in the Ilorin West LGA.

Speaking at the handover ceremony, the Executive Secretary of Kwara State Primary Health Care Development Agency, Prof. Nusirat Elelu, enjoined members of the communities to take ownership of the facilities by protecting and maintaining them for sustainable healthcare delivery.

She urged residents to make good use of the centres for minor illnesses instead of seeking care for such cases outside their communities at secondary and tertiary health institutions.

According to her, the facilities are fully equipped with relevant medical equipment and healthcare services, including delivery suites, antenatal care, and immunisation services.

Mr Elelu further said that health workers attached to the facilities had been adequately trained to provide quality healthcare services to patients.

Speaking earlier in Ganmo, the Executive Chairman of Ifelodun Local Government, Femi Yusuf, commended the state government for transforming the hitherto neglected health center through the revitalisation project.

He said that Ifelodun Local Government currently has the highest number of revitalised PHC in the state.

Mr Yusuf stated that a total of 10 PHCs had been revitalised in the community, pledging the council’s commitment to maintaining the facilities and ensuring they remain in good condition.

Also speaking, the Oniganmo of Ganmo, Oba Kamaldeen Akanbi, appreciated the state government for the intervention and reaffirmed the community’s commitment towards ensuring proper use and protection of the facility.

Similarly, at Alanamu in the Ilorin West Local Government Area, the Balogun Alanamu, Dr Usman Atolagbe-Jos, who received the facility on behalf of the community, expressed appreciation to the state government and the management of the agency.

He assured that the community would take proper care of the health center and make effective use of it.

The state governor, AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq, in December 2025 flagged off the revitalisation of 83 PHCs across the state.

(NAN)

Continue Reading

Health

Sokoto Confirms Meningitis Outbreak as 33 Children Die Across Communities

info

Published

on

By

Disease outbreak 739x375 1.jpeg

The Sokoto State Government has confirmed an outbreak of cerebrospinal meningitis that has claimed the lives of 33 children across several communities in the state, as health authorities intensify efforts to contain the disease.

Cerebrospinal meningitis is a serious infection that causes inflammation of the membranes surrounding the brain and spinal cord. The disease spreads more easily during hot and dry seasons, especially in overcrowded areas with poor ventilation.

Sokoto State, like many parts of northern Nigeria, lies within Africa’s “meningitis belt,” a region known for recurring outbreaks of the disease.

The Commissioner for Health, Faruk Abubakar, confirmed the outbreak during an advocacy meeting with district heads on SARMAAN and MNTE held on Wednesday. The meeting was organised by the State Primary Healthcare Development Agency in collaboration with Sightsavers and the Chigari Foundation.

According to the commissioner, at least 256 suspected cases have been recorded across eight local government areas since the outbreak resurfaced about a month ago.

“Sabon Birni recorded the highest number with 63 cases, followed by Wamakko with 60, Shagari with 51, Tambuwal with 33, and Dange Shuni with 26 cases. Kebbe had 16 cases, while Bodinga, Gada, and Kware recorded two, one, and two cases respectively,” he said.

Abubakar explained that many of the deaths occurred in rural communities before victims could reach medical facilities, blaming delayed treatment and widespread misconceptions that the illness is spiritual rather than medical.

Symptoms of meningitis include sudden fever, severe headache, stiff neck, vomiting, sensitivity to light, confusion, and convulsions. Health experts warn that delayed treatment can lead to death within hours or cause permanent complications such as hearing loss, brain damage, or paralysis.

To contain the outbreak, the state government, in partnership with Médecins Sans Frontières (Doctors Without Borders), established isolation centres with separate wards for male and female patients at the General Hospitals in Dogo Daji and Tambuwal.

Abubakar noted that although only about 20 laboratory samples have so far tested positive, patients brought in early have responded well to treatment, adding that no recent deaths have been recorded since intensified interventions began.

Meanwhile, a nurse at the Dogo Daji isolation centre, who spoke anonymously, disclosed that the outbreak remains active, with new patients still arriving daily.

“Every day, we discharge recovered patients, but new cases keep coming in. Two patients were discharged today, and two new admissions immediately replaced them,” the source said.

The nurse added that the facility currently operates two wards but may require an additional ward as admissions continue to increase.

“We may need another ward to separate female and pediatric patients because the cases are increasing,” he said.

He further commended the support at the centre, noting that doctors, nurses, health educators, and sanitation workers were fully engaged. According to him, treatment, feeding, medication, and transportation support are provided free of charge to confirmed patients.

“Patients do not pay for anything. Everything, including sanitary pads, is free,” he said.

Despite ongoing efforts, the facility recently recorded two deaths, including a child under five identified as Amir and another patient, Nura Jabo, who reportedly died while being transferred to the Usmanu Danfodiyo University Teaching Hospital after his condition deteriorated.

The Chief Medical Director of Specialists Hospital Sokoto, Dr. Attahiru Sokoto, also confirmed that the hospital had treated meningitis patients from the Badon Barade community in Wamakko Local Government Area about two weeks ago.

“All the patients admitted at our isolation centre were treated and discharged. As of now, we do not have any patient on admission,” he said.

Authorities have continued to urge residents to ignore misconceptions surrounding the disease and seek immediate medical attention once symptoms appear, as efforts to curb the outbreak continue across affected communities.

Continue Reading

Trending