Connect with us

News

NAPTIP Rescues 184 Trafficking Victims in Plateau, Intensifies Crackdown on Networks

editor

Published

on

IMG

The National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) has rescued 184 suspected victims of human trafficking during recent operations in Plateau State, as authorities step up efforts to dismantle trafficking networks operating within and beyond the state.

Anne Felix, Acting Head of Counselling and Rehabilitation at NAPTIP’s Plateau Command, disclosed the figure on Tuesday in Jos during the quarterly meeting of the Plateau State Action Plan Implementation Committee on Women, Peace and Security, alongside a validation workshop for Local Action Plans in Jos South, Mangu and Wase LGAs.

“From the last quarter till now, we have carried out targeted raids to curb human trafficking. In Jos, we rescued 184 persons,” Felix said, noting that the victims included boys, girls, teenagers and three pregnant women.

She added that five of the rescued persons are currently undergoing rehabilitation in NAPTIP facilities, while several suspects have already been prosecuted.

“In December last year, we secured convictions against some traffickers who are now serving jail terms,” she said.

Felix further revealed that in January, the agency intercepted another group of victims who were being transported to Akure in Ondo State. They were rescued and reunited with their families, while the suspects are facing prosecution.

Pattern of exploitation

The latest rescue follows earlier crackdowns on trafficking in the state. On 30 December 2025, PREMIUM TIMES reported that a coordinated overnight raid on brothels and hotels across the Jos–Bukuru axis uncovered organised child sexual exploitation, with minors aged between 11 and 17 rescued from lodges and brothels.

At the time, the Plateau State Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Philemon Daffi, linked children’s vulnerability to poverty, insecurity and family breakdown, describing the situation as “a mirror of what our society has become.”

Previous cases also underscore the scale of the problem. In September 2025, the state government rescued 16 children allegedly trafficked from Bassa LGA to Anambra State, while in January 2025 two underaged children from Langtang South were intercepted at a motor park in Jos en route to Lagos.

Civil society organisations warn that displacement caused by insecurity and worsening economic hardship has made many families vulnerable to trafficking schemes.

Strengthening community response

Tuesday’s workshop focused on improving the implementation of Plateau State’s Action Plan on Women, Peace and Security.

Sesan Peter of the University of Jos said the Local Action Plans are designed to bring reporting and response mechanisms closer to rural communities.

“The plans allow women at the grassroots to report security threats and access support without necessarily travelling long distances,” he said.

Lantana Abdullahi, Executive Director of Women for Positive Peacebuilding Initiative, said the state is implementing a third-generation action plan built on five pillars: prevention, protection, participation, relief and recovery.

Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Women Affairs and Social Development, Rebecca Shasset, stressed that sustainable peace cannot be achieved without women’s participation, describing them as “critical agents of reconciliation and pillars of community resilience.”

National dimension

The developments in Plateau reflect broader national anti-trafficking efforts. In May 2025, NAPTIP received 78 Nigerian trafficking victims rescued from Côte d’Ivoire, many of them young women and girls.

While enforcement through raids, prosecutions and rehabilitation is increasing, advocates insist that long-term solutions will require stronger community safeguards, economic support for vulnerable families and sustained awareness of protective laws.

For now, the rescue of 184 persons highlights the continued presence of trafficking networks in Plateau, even as authorities pledge tougher action against perpetrators.

 

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Health

FG inaugurates committees for 67th National Council on Health, demands result-oriented recommendations

info

Published

on

By

Fast2836.webp

MTN ADVERT

The Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare has inaugurated sub-committees ahead of the 67th Regular National Council on Health (NCH), urging members to ensure that their recommendations are evidence-based, practical and focused on improving healthcare delivery in Nigeria.

The ministry said this on Thursday during the inaugural meeting of the sub-committees in Abuja.

The 67th NCH is scheduled to hold from 16 to 20 November in Lafia, Nasarawa State.

The council, which will bring together key stakeholders across the federal and state health sectors, will be held under the theme, “From Commitment to Results: Delivering Quality and Equitable Healthcare for All Nigerians.”

Representing the Permanent Secretary of the ministry, Kachollom Daju, at the meeting, the Director of Health Planning, Research and Statistics, John Ovuoraye, described the NCH as a critical platform for policy dialogue, coordination and decision-making in Nigeria’s health sector.

PT WHATSAPP CHANNEL

Daju said the Technical Committee and its subcommittees play an important role in preparing recommendations for the council’s consideration.

“The quality of the work produced by these sub-committees will have a direct bearing on the effectiveness of the recommendations that will be presented to the National Council on Health,” she said.

She urged members to carry out their responsibilities with diligence, integrity, professionalism and objectivity.

Daju also called for an open-minded approach to the assignments and constructive engagement between the Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare and the Nasarawa State Local Organising Committee.

According to her, members’ participation reflects a shared commitment to strengthening Nigeria’s health system and improving Nigerians’ health and well-being.

Nasarawa promises collaboration

The Nasarawa State Commissioner for Health, Shekwonugaza Gwamna, represented by the Permanent Secretary of the state Ministry of Health, Ibrahim Hassan, welcomed participants to the meeting.

Mr Hassan reaffirmed the state’s readiness to work with the Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare to ensure a successful 67th NCH.

He said the inaugural meeting provided an opportunity for the state’s Local Organising Committee to present the progress made so far, receive guidance from the federal ministry and strengthen preparations for the council.

He thanked members for their commitment and wished them productive deliberations as preparations for the event continue.

Key areas of preparation

The meeting considered several issues relating to preparations for the council, including the formal inauguration of the sub-committees and clarification of the roles and responsibilities of their chairmen and members.

Members also reviewed and worked towards finalising the logo for the 67th NCH, as well as the format and timely submission of memoranda by states.

READ ALSO: PT Health Watch: Why parents should not overlook children’s vision problems

The meeting was attended physically by officials of the Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare, while members of the Nasarawa State Local Organising Committee participated virtually.

The 67th NCH is expected to deliberate on major health priorities and develop actionable recommendations to improve the quality, equity, and responsiveness of healthcare delivery across Nigeria.


Discover more from Premium Times Nigeria

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Continue Reading

News

NFF Fact-Finding Committee: Obafemi Calls Exercise Another ‘Jamboree’, Questions Need for Panel

info

Published

on

By

WhatsApp Image 2025 06 04 at 10.46.56 AM.jpeg

Former Super Eagles player Abiodun Obafemi has questioned the usefulness of the Nigeria Football Federation’s newly constituted fact-finding committee, warning that another investigation may do little to solve problems he believes have been obvious for years.

The former international is sceptical that the latest initiative will bring about the fundamental changes Nigerian football needs, arguing that the major challenges confronting the game are already well known to those responsible for its administration.

Obafemi believes the NFF should be focusing less on identifying problems and more on accepting responsibility and taking action to correct them.

According to the former Super Eagles player, “the problems in the country’s football are known to everyone.”

He questioned why another committee was necessary when, in his view, the federation is already aware of the weaknesses affecting the administration and development of football in the country.

“The NFF does not need a committee to remind it of its responsibilities and failures in running the affairs of football in the country,” Obafemi said.

His criticism comes after the NFF established a six-member fact-finding committee to investigate the recent poor performances of Nigeria’s national teams.

The move has generated mixed reactions, with some stakeholders welcoming the attempt to examine the situation while others remain doubtful about whether the exercise will produce meaningful change.

For Obafemi, the concern is not simply about the latest committee, but about the history of similar exercises that have failed to produce the transformation expected by Nigerian football stakeholders.

He described the latest initiative as “another jamboree,” arguing that this is not the first time a committee has been established to examine problems within Nigerian football.

The former international believes previous experiences should make the football authorities cautious about repeating a process that ends with a report but produces little tangible change.

His position puts him firmly among those demanding more than investigations and recommendations from the NFF.

The debate also comes as Nigerian football faces broader questions over national-team performance, administration, grassroots development, the domestic game and the long-term direction of the sport.

While the committee has now been given the responsibility of examining the circumstances behind the national teams’ struggles, its eventual report will face a crucial test: whether its recommendations can translate into concrete reforms.

For Obafemi, however, Nigerians have heard enough explanations.

The former Super Eagles player wants the football authorities to move beyond committees and reports and confront the problems that have continued to hold the country’s football back.

The question now is whether the latest fact-finding exercise will finally lead to action—or become another report that gathers dust.

Continue Reading

Trending