Connect with us

Business

State electricity markets risk losing investors without harmonised regulations – FCCPC

info

Published

on

FCCPC e1765608578182.gif

MTN ADVERT

The Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (FCCPC) has warned that Nigeria’s emerging state electricity markets could struggle to attract investment if states adopt different regulatory frameworks, stressing the need for stronger cooperation among electricity regulators to protect consumers and provide certainty for investors.

The Executive Vice Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of the FCCPC, Tunji Bello, gave the warning on Thursday at a stakeholders’ engagement on consumer protection and regulatory cooperation in Nigeria’s electricity sector in Abuja.

The meeting brought together officials of the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC), the Nigerian Electricity Management Services Agency (NEMSA) and several state electricity regulatory commissions following the decentralisation of electricity regulation under the Electricity Act 2023.

The electricity act, signed in 2023, ended decades of exclusive federal control of Nigeria’s electricity sector by empowering states to establish and regulate their own electricity markets once they meet constitutional and regulatory requirements. Since then, several states, including Lagos, Enugu, Plateau and Anambra, have established electricity regulatory commissions as part of efforts to improve electricity supply and attract private investment.

However, stakeholders have repeatedly warned that inconsistent regulations across states could discourage investment, increase compliance costs for operators and create uneven levels of consumer protection.

PT WHATSAPP CHANNEL

Consumer confidence

Mr Bello described the Electricity Act as one of the most significant reforms of Nigeria’s electricity sector, saying its success would depend largely on effective collaboration among federal and state regulators.

“The Electricity Act of 2023 represents one of the most significant reforms of Nigeria’s electricity sector in recent years,” he said.

“Beyond creating new opportunities for investment and improved service delivery, it has fundamentally reshaped our regulatory architecture,” he added.

According to him, while states now have greater flexibility to regulate their electricity markets in line with local realities, consumers should enjoy the same level of protection regardless of where they live.

He noted that electricity users are primarily concerned about reliable service and fair treatment rather than the agency responsible for resolving their complaints.

“Consumers experience electricity as one system. When supply is interrupted, or a bill appears incorrect, they are not concerned about which regulator has jurisdiction. They simply expect protection, ensuring that our institutions work seamlessly together in our responsibility and not theirs.”

Mr Bello explained that although NERC regulates the electricity industry, NEMSA enforces technical standards, state commissions oversee intrastate electricity markets, while the FCCPC provides economy-wide consumer protection and competition oversight.

According to him, these responsibilities should complement rather than compete with one another.

“Our objective is to consult, exchange information, support one another’s lawful actions, and ensure consumers receive timely and effective protection,” he said.

The FCCPC boss cited the suspension of the proposed replacement of obsolete Unistar prepaid meters in 2024 as an example of effective collaboration among regulators.

PREMIUM TIMES previously reported that consumer groups raised concerns over plans to replace obsolete prepaid meters amid fears that electricity customers could be forced to bear the cost or be subjected to estimated billing during the process.

Mr Bello said the FCCPC convened discussions involving NERC, NEMSA and electricity distribution companies after the concerns emerged.

The replacement exercise was subsequently suspended pending compliance with regulatory requirements before NERC later issued an order providing a structured framework for replacing faulty and obsolete meters.

“The order guaranteed that consumers would not bear the cost of replacing obsolete meters, would not experience interruption of electricity supply during the replacement exercise, and would not be subjected to estimated billing because of delays in implementation,” he said.

He added: “Those safeguards reflected the principle that consumers should never be disadvantaged because infrastructure has reached the end of its useful life through no fault of their own.”

He noted that the effectiveness of regulation should be measured not only by complaints resolved but also by the number of disputes prevented.

“Strong regulation is not built on institutional rivalry. It is built on cooperation, mutual respect, and a shared commitment to the public interest,” he said.

Investors need certainty

Also speaking, NERC’s Assistant Director and Head of Consumer Protection Department, Anthony Essien, said harmonised regulations would become increasingly important as more states establish independent electricity markets.

He warned that differing regulations across states could complicate investment decisions and discourage investors operating across multiple jurisdictions.

“It would not be easy, especially looking at investors coming in and having different standards across 36 states. But if we come together and foster a unified and well-thought-out effort to bring forward laws, it would further strengthen our mandates across the different states.”

He said the FCCPC has become an important partner in NERC’s consumer complaints mechanism and now participates in the commission’s Consumer Complaints Forum.

READ ALSO: FCCPC, Lagos consumer agency warn businesses on price tags, refunds, product labelling

The Chairman of the Enugu State Electricity Regulatory Commission, Chijioke Okonkwo, described the engagement as timely, saying collaboration with federal regulators would help state commissions strengthen consumer protection.

Similarly, the Chairman of the Anambra State Electricity Regulatory Commission, Frank Nwoye Okafor, cautioned that fragmented regulations could become a major obstacle to investment.

“The biggest nightmare for an investor is trying to figure out 36 different rules. But if we have this sort of coordination, then we start singing from the same hymn sheet,” Mr Okafor said.

The Electricity Act 2023 is regarded as Nigeria’s most far-reaching electricity reform since the power sector was privatised in 2013. By allowing states to regulate intrastate electricity markets, the law seeks to expand electricity access, attract private investment and improve service delivery.

However, as more states establish independent electricity markets, regulators and industry stakeholders say harmonised regulations and coordinated oversight will be critical to maintaining investor confidence, avoiding regulatory fragmentation and ensuring consumers receive the same level of protection regardless of where they live.


Discover more from Premium Times Nigeria

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

AIICO Insurance Denies False Allegations, Sues Obinna Nwosu Over Defamation

info

Published

on

By

BY NKECHI BAECHE-ESEZOBOR—In a decisive move to protect its corporate reputation, AIICO Insurance Plc has taken legal action against a dismissed agent, Mr. Obinna Adolphus Nwosu, suing him for defamation after he circulated unsubstantiated claims to regulators, the media, and the general public.

For the avoidance of doubt, Mr. Nwosu’s appointment as an agent of AIICO Insurance Plc was terminated. Following the termination of his appointment, the Company published a public notice in national newspapers on 26 June 2025, expressly warning customers and members of the public against continuing to transact or maintain any business relationship with him on behalf of, or in connection with, AIICO Insurance Plc.

A statement released by the company reads: “AIICO Insurance Plc has become aware of a sustained campaign of false and misleading allegations being circulated by Mr. Obinna Adolphus Nwosu, a former agent of the Company, to various stakeholders, including regulatory authorities, law enforcement agencies, media organisations, bloggers, employees and other members of the public.

“Notwithstanding this, Mr. Nwosu has continued to circulate false and misleading narratives about the Company through various channels, including digital platforms and direct communications with stakeholders.

“His persistent and increasingly aggressive efforts to disseminate these claims have the potential to cause unwarranted damage to the Company’s reputation and create unnecessary concern among its employees, customers and other stakeholders.

“AIICO Insurance Plc wishes to state unequivocally that these allegations are false and should be treated with the utmost caution. Rather than engage in a media exchange or submit to a trial in the court of public opinion, the Company has elected to pursue the matter through the appropriate legal channels and has consequently commenced a defamation action against Mr. Nwosu at the Lagos State High Court.”

The statement added that “AIICO Insurance Plc will not be drawn into a public exchange with a former agent who has chosen to continue making unsubstantiated allegations while the matter is being pursued through the courts. The Company remains confident that the facts will be properly examined and determined through the established judicial process.

It further urged the media, regulators, employees, customers and the public are therefore urged to exercise due caution and discountenance the false and misleading narratives being circulated by Mr. Nwosu.

The statement also called on Nwosu to  make himself available to receive the relevant court processes and allow the matter to proceed in accordance with the law, rather than continuing to prosecute his claims through digital media and direct approaches to individuals within and outside the Company.

While noting that any genuine grievance or complaint should be presented through the appropriate regulatory, investigative or judicial channels, where it can be properly examined and determined based on verifiable facts and evidence.

The company reaffirmed assured “AIICO Insurance Plc remains committed to the highest standards of integrity, accountability and transparency.

The Company will continue to pursue all lawful avenues available to protect its reputation, its employees, customers and other stakeholders, and to ensure that the matter is resolved through due process and in accordance with the law.

The post AIICO Insurance Denies False Allegations, Sues Obinna Nwosu Over Defamation appeared first on Business Today NG.

Continue Reading

Business

Dangote to sell 30% shareholding of new refinery to East African countries – Report

info

Published

on

By

Screenshot 2026 05 15 085218.png

MTN ADVERT

Dangote Group, the empire of Africa’s richest man Aliko Dangote, has offered a 30 per cent holding in its proposed 700,000 barrel-per-day (bpd) refinery to nations in East Africa, the region where the mega crude-processing plant is to be located, Bloomberg reported Friday.

Kenya, where the new refinery will be sited at the southeastern coastal town of Lamu, will take a 10 per cent stake estimated at around half a trillion dollars, David Ndii, a top economic adviser of President Ruto, told Bloomberg.

“The total for the region is about $1.5 billion. I don’t actually see a challenge in doing that, and if some of them are not off-taking we will backstop,” Mr Ndii was quoted as saying at a capital market conference in Nairobi on Thursday.

Ethiopia and Rwanda are said to have indicated willingness to participate.

Mr Dangote is turning to business-friendly Kenya and other promising markets in East Africa to expand his multi-billion dollar empire after facing an avalanche of resistance from his home country Nigeria in bringing a refinery of similar capacity to completion.

PT WHATSAPP CHANNEL

The Nigerian refinery, situated in the outskirts of Lagos and initially projected to be completed in 2016, did not see the light of the day until eight years after, held back by logistic delay, infrastructure constraints and COVID-19 lockdowns.

The magnate, who has built his fortune around cement, sugar and a couple of fast-moving consumer products, accused international oil companies of sabotaging efforts at getting the refinery running seamlessly in its early days.

He claimed that the Nigerian Midstream and Downstream Petroleum Regulatory Authority, which serves as the top watchdog for the midstream and downstream segments of the oil industry, issued new licences to some players to import “dirty fuel” as part of a broader conspiracy to frustrate his push to wean Nigeria off its longstanding dependency on fuel imports.

In the heat of the crisis, Farouk Ahmed, the CEO of the regulator at the time, resigned his appointment, while Mele Kyari, the immediate past managing director of state oil company NNPC Limited, whom Mr Dangote accused of surreptitiously running a fuel blending plant off the coast of Malta, was shown the exit door.

“I knew there would be a fight. But I didn’t know that the mafia in oil, they are stronger than the mafia in drugs,” he told an investment conference in June 2024.

ALSO READ: Dangote Refinery raises $2.5 billion in Africa’s largest private equity placement

A private placement, which raised $2.5 billion ahead of the Nigerian refinery’s planned $5 billion initial public offer scheduled for October, valued the refinery at $40 billion.

The private equity capital raise was 3.7 times, drawing interest from African institutional investors and institutional investors from outside the continent.
The groundbreaking of the Kenyan refinery is expected to kick off next month.

That puts the company on course to achieve the ambition of doubling its refining capacity to 1.4 million bpd in the next three years, with processing capacity at the refinery in Lagos already upped to 700,000 bpd from its original 650,000 bpd.

The planned refinery in Kenya is expected to cost $15 billion to $17 billion.


Discover more from Premium Times Nigeria

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Continue Reading

Trending