Connect with us

News

ChatGPT Images 2.0 is a hit in India, but not a big winner elsewhere, yet

info

Published

on

Chatgpt india.jpg

India has emerged as the largest user base for ChatGPT Images 2.0 since its launch last week, OpenAI said on Thursday. However, third-party data reviewed by TechCrunch points to a more measured global response, with limited overall growth alongside sharp spikes in select emerging markets.

ChatGPT Images 2.0, OpenAI’s latest image-generation upgrade, is designed to handle more complex prompts and produce detailed visuals, including accurate text across multiple languages. Early patterns from the company suggest users — especially in India, its largest market — are using it to create personal visuals such as avatars, stylized portraits, and fantasy-themed images.

Data shared by Sensor Tower and Similarweb with TechCrunch suggests the rollout has led to a more mixed global response. ChatGPT’s app downloads rose 11% week-over-week following the launch, per Sensor Tower, but overall engagement gains were modest, with daily active users and sessions up only around 1%. Similarweb data also shows a limited increase in ChatGPT’s global web traffic, rising about 1.6% week-over-week during the same period.

However, Sensor Tower data indicates some emerging markets — including Pakistan, Vietnam, and Indonesia — saw sharper spikes in ChatGPT’s app downloads, with increases of up to 79% week-over-week during the rollout period.

India, meanwhile, remained a major source of activity during the rollout. Sensor Tower estimates show ChatGPT was downloaded about 5 million times in India during the launch week, compared with roughly 2 million in the U.S., though growth remained modest on a week-over-week basis. Similarweb data also points to a limited uptick in engagement, with daily active users in India rising about 3.4% week-over-week during the same period.

In India, the early trends suggest ChatGPT Images 2.0 is largely being used as a form of self-expression. Rather than purely functional outputs, users are creating studio-style portraits from everyday photos, social media-ready images, and imaginative visuals that place themselves at the center, OpenAI said.

The early patterns also highlight how AI image tools are being adopted differently across markets. While India’s large user base is driving overall scale, sharper spikes in countries like Pakistan and Indonesia point to stronger new-user demand in emerging markets following the launch.

Techcrunch event

San Francisco, CA
|
October 13-15, 2026

OpenAI’s Images 2.0 launch comes amid intensifying competition in AI image generation. Google’s earlier image-focused model, the original Nano Banana, also saw strong early traction in India, indicating how the nation has become an important market for image generation.

With the new ChatGPT Images release, OpenAI is pushing further with improvements such as better rendering of non-Latin text, including Hindi and Bengali, and new “thinking” capabilities that allow it to refine outputs and generate multiple variations from a single prompt.

Beyond stylized portraits and avatars, OpenAI said early Images 2.0 users in India are experimenting with a wider range of formats — from fantasy newspaper covers to tarot-style visuals and fashion moodboards. Users are also using the AI tool to restore older photos and create cinematic portrait collages, the company said, suggesting early patterns of more personal use.

When you purchase through links in our articles, we may earn a small commission. This doesn’t affect our editorial independence.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Health

WHO raises Ebola risk level as DRC outbreak worsens, reports new hantavirus cases

info

Published

on

By

WhatsApp Image 2025 02 27 at 19.13.08 e1779308361768.jpeg

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has raised the risk level of the ongoing Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo to “very high” nationally as suspected cases approach 750, with the disease already spreading across borders into Uganda.
WHO Director-General Tedros Ghebreyesus announced the updated assessment on Friday during a Member State information session on the Ebola outbreak and a separate hantavirus outbreak linked to the cruise ship MV Hondius.

According to the WHO, DRC has recorded 82 confirmed Ebola cases so far.

However, the agency said the outbreak is likely far larger, with nearly 750 suspected cases and 177 suspected deaths already reported.

“In Uganda, two cases have been confirmed in people who travelled from DRC, with one death,” Mr Ghebreyesus said.

Mr Ghebreyesus noted that the organisation previously assessed the outbreak risk as high nationally and regionally, and low globally, but has now revised it to “very high” at the national level, “high” regionally and “low” globally.

PT WHATSAPP CHANNEL

No approved vaccines

WHO said the outbreak is caused by the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola, unlike previous outbreaks driven by the Zaire strain.

The agency explained that there are currently no approved vaccines or therapeutics for the Bundibugyo virus, making containment more difficult.

WHO also noted that commonly used Ebola diagnostic tests designed for the Zaire strain do not detect the Bundibugyo strain effectively, contributing to delays in identifying the outbreak.

“There have only been two previous outbreaks of Bundibugyo, in Uganda in 2007 and DRC in 2012,” Mr Ghebreyesus said.

Conflict worsening outbreak

The organisation warned that insecurity in the provinces of Ituri and North Kivu is further complicating response efforts.

According to the WHO, intensified fighting in recent months has displaced more than 100,000 people, while about four million people in the affected areas require urgent humanitarian assistance.

The agency also said approximately 10 million people are facing acute hunger.

Mr Ghebreyesus disclosed that a hospital in Ituri was attacked on Thursday, with tents and medical supplies set on fire.

“Building trust in the affected communities is critical to a successful response,” he said.

WHO said it has deployed 22 international staff to support response operations and released $3.9 million from its Contingency Fund for Emergencies.

Hantavirus deaths

Meanwhile, the WHO said the hantavirus outbreak linked to passengers and crew aboard the MV Hondius cruise ship has now recorded 12 cases and three deaths.

The latest confirmed case involved a crew member who disembarked in Tenerife and was later repatriated to the Netherlands, where the individual remains in isolation.

WHO noted that no additional deaths have been reported since 2 May, when the outbreak was first reported.

The agency said more than 600 contacts across 30 countries are still being monitored, while efforts continue to trace a small number of high-risk contacts.

Countries supporting the response include Argentina, Cabo Verde, Chile, South Africa, Spain and the United Kingdom.

No Ebola in Nigeria

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (NCDC) said the country has recorded no confirmed Ebola case linked to the ongoing outbreak in Central and East Africa.

The agency said the country remains on heightened alert and has strengthened surveillance at points of entry, including airports, seaports and land borders, to prevent importation of the virus.

The health body also warned against misinformation circulating on social media suggesting that Ebola cases had been detected in Nigeria, describing such claims as false and capable of causing unnecessary panic.

READ ALSO: WHO honours six global health champions at World Health Assembly

Following the outbreak declaration, authorities said surveillance systems at points of entry had been strengthened, while emergency response mechanisms were being reviewed to improve readiness.

The Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) also announced additional health screening measures and enhanced Ebola surveillance across international airports.

The measures include heightened passenger monitoring, screening protocols, and coordination with health authorities to detect and respond swiftly to suspected cases.


Continue Reading

News

Plateau police nab six suspects over cattle rustling, firearm possession

info

Published

on

By

Ug.png

The Violent Crime Response Unit (VCRU) of the police command in Plateau has arrested six suspects for alleged cattle rustling, criminal conspiracy and illegal firearm possession.

The suspects were paraded during the inauguration of the VCRU in Jos on Friday.

The Commissioner of Police, Bassey Ewah, said the unit was established following directives of the former Inspector-General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun.

Mr Ewah said the initiative also aligned with the police mandate to protect lives and property across Plateau State.

“This fulfils the I-G’s directive for a force that is professional, humane, accountable and effective.

“This unit answers growing demands for faster, more precise and professional responses to violent crime,” he said.

Mr Ewah said the VCRU would operate under a Civilian Oversight Board comprising traditional rulers, civil society groups, lawyers and human rights advocates.

He said officers underwent intensive screening, selection and specialised training before deployment.

“Every officer selected has been prepared for operational excellence, disciplined conduct and unwavering respect for human rights.

“Their mandate is to confront violent crimes referred to them by the command for further investigation.

“We are equipping them to act with speed, precision and integrity because justice delayed and justice abused are both justice denied.

“Impunity, misconduct and abuse of power will not be tolerated under my watch,” Ewah said.

One suspect, Yahuza Sale, was arrested over a viral Facebook video allegedly capable of inciting fear and public unrest.

Police said detectives from the Pankshin Division arrested Mr Sale immediately after receiving intelligence reports.

According to police findings, Mr Sale confessed involvement in cattle rustling alongside Victor Danladi, also known as Boka.

Mr Sale reportedly told investigators they used locally made AK-47 rifles and revolvers during operations.

The Intelligence Response Team later arrested Danladi following Mr Sale’s confession.

Police recovered two locally made AK-47 rifles, three rounds of 7.62mm live ammunition and one locally made pump-action gun.

Mr Ewah said investigations were ongoing and suspects would be charged after their completion.

“Under my leadership, the Plateau Police Command remains committed to proactive, intelligence-driven policing and community partnership,” he said.

He urged residents to support police efforts with timely and credible information.

“The police cannot succeed alone. Provide credible information and we will act swiftly to protect you.

“The VCRU is your unit. Its success depends on trust and cooperation between the police and the community,” he said.

Mr Ewah added that the unit had a fully equipped operational base in Jos, with plans for additional sub-units across the state. 

(NAN)

Continue Reading

Trending