Connect with us

News

Reps Order DISCOs To Refund N55.42bn NMMP Loan

info

Published

on

3840px Seal of the House of Representatives of Nigeria.svg 1024x1024.png

By EricJames Ochigbo

 

The House of Representatives has directed 11 electricity distribution companies to refund N55.42 billion obtained under the National Mass Metering Programme (NMMP).

 

Lawmakers on Thursday adopted a committee report giving the DISCOs a seven-month deadline to repay the loan to the Central Bank of Nigeria.

 

Presenting the report, Chairman Uchenna Okonkwo said the probe followed the committee’s mandate and found the metering scheme failed to achieve expected outcomes.

 

Okonkwo said the programme, introduced in 2020, aimed to close metering gaps, promote local manufacturing, curb losses, and end estimated billing practices.

 

He listed beneficiaries as Abuja, Eko and Enugu distribution companies, alongside Ibadan, Ikeja and Jos electricity distribution companies.

 

Others include Kano and Yola distribution companies, among the 11 firms that received disbursements under the intervention scheme.

 

Okonkwo said the committee engaged the Central Bank, Meristem Wealth Management, NESI-SSL, NERC and other stakeholders during the investigation.

 

“The report indicates the programme, initiated in 2020, was to be implemented in three phases.

 

“N59.28 billion was earmarked for the 11 companies, repayable at nine per cent interest, with six per cent to financiers and three per cent to the CBN.

 

“The investigation revealed DISCOs received N55.42 billion, leaving N3.85 billion unaccounted for,” he said.

 

The chairman raised concern over a clause granting Meristem Wealth Management 0.5 per cent of DISCO collections annually until 2030.

 

He said the firm had already received N450 million for its services, a development the committee strongly criticised.

 

The committee recommended the firm provide its profile, structure and detailed report on work done under the metering programme.

 

Following adoption, the House approved creating a loan recovery committee by the CBN and NERC to recover funds from beneficiaries before 2026. (NAN) (www.nannews.ng)

EOO/KTO

==========

Edited by Kamal Tayo Oropo

 

 

 

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Health

WHO raises Ebola risk level as DRC outbreak worsens, reports new hantavirus cases

info

Published

on

By

WhatsApp Image 2025 02 27 at 19.13.08 e1779308361768.jpeg

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has raised the risk level of the ongoing Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo to “very high” nationally as suspected cases approach 750, with the disease already spreading across borders into Uganda.
WHO Director-General Tedros Ghebreyesus announced the updated assessment on Friday during a Member State information session on the Ebola outbreak and a separate hantavirus outbreak linked to the cruise ship MV Hondius.

According to the WHO, DRC has recorded 82 confirmed Ebola cases so far.

However, the agency said the outbreak is likely far larger, with nearly 750 suspected cases and 177 suspected deaths already reported.

“In Uganda, two cases have been confirmed in people who travelled from DRC, with one death,” Mr Ghebreyesus said.

Mr Ghebreyesus noted that the organisation previously assessed the outbreak risk as high nationally and regionally, and low globally, but has now revised it to “very high” at the national level, “high” regionally and “low” globally.

PT WHATSAPP CHANNEL

No approved vaccines

WHO said the outbreak is caused by the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola, unlike previous outbreaks driven by the Zaire strain.

The agency explained that there are currently no approved vaccines or therapeutics for the Bundibugyo virus, making containment more difficult.

WHO also noted that commonly used Ebola diagnostic tests designed for the Zaire strain do not detect the Bundibugyo strain effectively, contributing to delays in identifying the outbreak.

“There have only been two previous outbreaks of Bundibugyo, in Uganda in 2007 and DRC in 2012,” Mr Ghebreyesus said.

Conflict worsening outbreak

The organisation warned that insecurity in the provinces of Ituri and North Kivu is further complicating response efforts.

According to the WHO, intensified fighting in recent months has displaced more than 100,000 people, while about four million people in the affected areas require urgent humanitarian assistance.

The agency also said approximately 10 million people are facing acute hunger.

Mr Ghebreyesus disclosed that a hospital in Ituri was attacked on Thursday, with tents and medical supplies set on fire.

“Building trust in the affected communities is critical to a successful response,” he said.

WHO said it has deployed 22 international staff to support response operations and released $3.9 million from its Contingency Fund for Emergencies.

Hantavirus deaths

Meanwhile, the WHO said the hantavirus outbreak linked to passengers and crew aboard the MV Hondius cruise ship has now recorded 12 cases and three deaths.

The latest confirmed case involved a crew member who disembarked in Tenerife and was later repatriated to the Netherlands, where the individual remains in isolation.

WHO noted that no additional deaths have been reported since 2 May, when the outbreak was first reported.

The agency said more than 600 contacts across 30 countries are still being monitored, while efforts continue to trace a small number of high-risk contacts.

Countries supporting the response include Argentina, Cabo Verde, Chile, South Africa, Spain and the United Kingdom.

No Ebola in Nigeria

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (NCDC) said the country has recorded no confirmed Ebola case linked to the ongoing outbreak in Central and East Africa.

The agency said the country remains on heightened alert and has strengthened surveillance at points of entry, including airports, seaports and land borders, to prevent importation of the virus.

The health body also warned against misinformation circulating on social media suggesting that Ebola cases had been detected in Nigeria, describing such claims as false and capable of causing unnecessary panic.

READ ALSO: WHO honours six global health champions at World Health Assembly

Following the outbreak declaration, authorities said surveillance systems at points of entry had been strengthened, while emergency response mechanisms were being reviewed to improve readiness.

The Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) also announced additional health screening measures and enhanced Ebola surveillance across international airports.

The measures include heightened passenger monitoring, screening protocols, and coordination with health authorities to detect and respond swiftly to suspected cases.


Continue Reading

News

Plateau police nab six suspects over cattle rustling, firearm possession

info

Published

on

By

Ug.png

The Violent Crime Response Unit (VCRU) of the police command in Plateau has arrested six suspects for alleged cattle rustling, criminal conspiracy and illegal firearm possession.

The suspects were paraded during the inauguration of the VCRU in Jos on Friday.

The Commissioner of Police, Bassey Ewah, said the unit was established following directives of the former Inspector-General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun.

Mr Ewah said the initiative also aligned with the police mandate to protect lives and property across Plateau State.

“This fulfils the I-G’s directive for a force that is professional, humane, accountable and effective.

“This unit answers growing demands for faster, more precise and professional responses to violent crime,” he said.

Mr Ewah said the VCRU would operate under a Civilian Oversight Board comprising traditional rulers, civil society groups, lawyers and human rights advocates.

He said officers underwent intensive screening, selection and specialised training before deployment.

“Every officer selected has been prepared for operational excellence, disciplined conduct and unwavering respect for human rights.

“Their mandate is to confront violent crimes referred to them by the command for further investigation.

“We are equipping them to act with speed, precision and integrity because justice delayed and justice abused are both justice denied.

“Impunity, misconduct and abuse of power will not be tolerated under my watch,” Ewah said.

One suspect, Yahuza Sale, was arrested over a viral Facebook video allegedly capable of inciting fear and public unrest.

Police said detectives from the Pankshin Division arrested Mr Sale immediately after receiving intelligence reports.

According to police findings, Mr Sale confessed involvement in cattle rustling alongside Victor Danladi, also known as Boka.

Mr Sale reportedly told investigators they used locally made AK-47 rifles and revolvers during operations.

The Intelligence Response Team later arrested Danladi following Mr Sale’s confession.

Police recovered two locally made AK-47 rifles, three rounds of 7.62mm live ammunition and one locally made pump-action gun.

Mr Ewah said investigations were ongoing and suspects would be charged after their completion.

“Under my leadership, the Plateau Police Command remains committed to proactive, intelligence-driven policing and community partnership,” he said.

He urged residents to support police efforts with timely and credible information.

“The police cannot succeed alone. Provide credible information and we will act swiftly to protect you.

“The VCRU is your unit. Its success depends on trust and cooperation between the police and the community,” he said.

Mr Ewah added that the unit had a fully equipped operational base in Jos, with plans for additional sub-units across the state. 

(NAN)

Continue Reading

Trending