Sweden-based caller ID company Truecaller said it will cut 70 jobs, or roughly 15% of its workforce, in the second quarter, as the company posted its Q1 2026 results with a decline in revenue and profits. Truecaller blamed real-money gaming in India, changes in advertising partner algorithms, and conflict in the Middle East for the slide.
As TechCrunch reported last month, the company is already facing challenges from India’s telecom-led solutions, such as Calling Name Presentation (CNAP) identification service, and 5% year-on-year decline in downloads last year.
In its Q1 2026 results, Truecaller’s net sales dropped 27% to 362 million SEK ($39.34 million). In its biggest market, India, net sales dipped by 41% year-on-year. In addition, ad revenues declined by 44%.
“The year-on-year comparison looks especially weak given that Q1 and Q2 last year included a large contribution coming from the real money gaming sector in India in connection with the IPL season that takes place around this time. The situation in the Middle East also reduced our revenues from that region,” Truecaller CEO Rishit Jhunjhunwala said during the earnings call.
Last August, India banned real-money gaming apps such as Dream 11 and MPL that allowed users to use money to play fantasy sports. Industry bodies estimated that the real-money gaming industry was worth $23 billion in India. Because of this shutdown, platforms on which these real-money apps are advertised were deprived of that revenue.
There were only a few positives for the company this quarter. First, it crossed the mark of 500 million active users. Plus, its subscription revenue increased by 27%, representing 31% of net sales. The company has been adding features like AI Assistant and Family Protection to make its paid offerings more attractive.
Truecaller’s stock has dipped by over 26% this year and by over 79% in the last 12 months. However, after the Q1 results, it has seen some recovery.
The Vice-Presidential candidate of the Nigeria Democratic Congress, NDC, Rabi’u Kwankwaso, has submitted the names of the NDC candidates in the 19 Northern states, including the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, ahead of the 2027 general elections.
Kwankwaso made this known in a statement posted on his verified X handle on Thursday.
He thanked the leadership of the party and all the candidates for their cooperation and unwavering commitment.
The former Kano State governor described the move as another decisive step towards building a formidable NDC team capable of competing strongly at every level.
According to him, the task ahead is promising, and he expressed their readiness to go ahead.
“In a spirit of complete collaboration, support and solidarity, I led the coordination and formal submission of National Democratic Congress, NDC, candidates across the 19 Northern states and the Federal Capital Territory.
“Working closely with the National Working Committee, NWC, and candidates at all levels, the exercise was successfully concluded today, Thursday, 20th August 2026, with the formal presentation of all candidates’ names to the NDC National Leader, His Excellency Sen. Seriake Dickson,” he tweeted.
“This is not an attack on the community alone; it is an attack on me.”
Plateau State Governor, His Excellency Barr. Caleb Manasseh Mutfwang, has visited the people of Bin Mper Community in Kombun District of Mangu Local Government Area following the deadly attack on the community on Tuesday, August 18, 2026.
The attack reportedly claimed the lives of several residents and left others injured, prompting the Governor to visit the affected community, receive security briefings and personally condole with bereaved families.
Addressing residents, particularly women, Governor Mutfwang described the incident as barbaric, senseless and unacceptable, expressing deep pain over the loss of innocent lives.
The Governor said the attack was not only an assault on the affected community but also a direct affront to his person and the collective determination of the Plateau State Government to protect the lives, property and ancestral lands of its citizens.
“This is not an attack on the community alone; it is an attack on me. I pray that God will grant you peace and comfort. The police have said that some persons have been arrested, and we will follow the matter to its logical conclusion.”
He further assured the community:
“We will do everything within our powers to ensure that you remain on your land. Nobody will take over your land.”
Governor Mutfwang pledged to strengthen existing security measures and deploy additional strategies to protect vulnerable communities and prevent a recurrence of such attacks.
He noted that the incident occurred at a time when the state government had been reviewing its security architecture in collaboration with security agencies, including the new General Officer Commanding 3 Division, Nigerian Army, with renewed emphasis on intelligence gathering, coordinated operations and proactive protection of lives and property.
The Governor condoled with families who lost loved ones and prayed for the quick recovery of those injured. He also commended Plateau youths for their courage, resilience and continued support for community security, urging them to remain peaceful, vigilant and law-abiding.
According to him, defeating insecurity requires strong cooperation among communities, traditional institutions, government and security agencies. He expressed confidence that sustained and coordinated efforts would enable Plateau to overcome banditry, terrorism and other criminal activities threatening the peace of the state.
SECURITY BRIEFING AND TRADITIONAL RULER VISIT
Earlier, Governor Mutfwang received a security briefing from the General Officer Commanding 3 Division, Nigerian Army, where he called for more proactive, intelligence-driven and coordinated measures to identify threats early and protect vulnerable communities.
The Governor also paid a sympathy visit to the Mishkagham Mwaghavul, His Royal Highness Da. John Putmang Hirse, where he condoled with the traditional ruler, the bereaved families and the entire Mwaghavul Nation.
He reaffirmed that his administration would not relent in the fight against banditry and other forms of criminality, assuring the traditional ruler that he would continue to stand firmly with the people.
MWAGHAVUL LEADERS RESPOND
Receiving the Governor, the Mishkagham Mwaghavul, His Royal Highness Da. John Putmang Hirse, appreciated him for identifying with the people in their moment of grief.
He described the attack as senseless and deliberate, noting that the perpetrators appeared determined to inflict pain and destabilise a peaceful community.
“This is something we least expected. People were asleep when they were massacred. Mangu is one of the most peaceful Local Government Areas. We live peacefully with our neighbours and accommodate visitors, yet we were attacked.”
The traditional ruler assured that the Mwaghavul people would remain resilient, peaceful and law-abiding, stressing that no amount of intimidation would force them to abandon their ancestral lands or communities.
Also speaking, the President of the Mwaghavul Development Association (MDA) Women’s Wing, Mrs. Grace Joseph Gora, expressed sympathy to the bereaved families and described the attack as unacceptable.
She appealed to women in the community to remain calm and peaceful while supporting government and security agencies in efforts to restore lasting security.
Governor Mutfwang’s visit underscores his administration’s determination to stand with communities affected by insecurity, strengthen the state’s security architecture, protect Plateau’s territorial integrity and preserve the ancestral heritage of its people.
The Governor was accompanied by the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Community Engagement, Dr. Mrs. Abiodun Esiet, top government officials and heads of security agencies in the state.