Connect with us

News

Plateau: Gov Lalong to get 26.6 Billion to complete “Legacy Projects”

info

Published

on

Legacy project
Following the earlier termination of the contract for the construction of Legacy Projects by the Plateau Government, the State Executive Council has approved the award of the contract for the completion of the projects at the sum of N26.6 billion.
The sum is for the completion of projects and the engagement of a consultant to provide pre-contract services.
Briefing newsmen after the Council meeting, Commissioner for information and Communication Hon. Dan Manjang disclosed that the legacy projects are located across the 17 Local Government Areas of the State.
They include the construction of 9 No model primary schools, 6 No model secondary schools and 6 No model hospitals with a completion period of 32 weeks.
He explained that the State Government had earlier secured 18 billion naira for funding the Lalong project which was still available for the work. He said the project was also rescoped downwards to N26.6 billion, adding that Council approved the sourcing of the shortfall of N8.6 billion.
He explained that Council approved for further funding to be raised from the capital market for furnishing and equipping of the projects.
The Commissioner said the Rescue Administration was determined to complete the projects as they form part of the legacies it wants to leave behind for the people of Plateau State who entrusted their mandate to Governor Simon Lalong.
He said already, some of the Legacy projects have come in handy for other uses such as Model Secondary School in Ny’ak Shendam Local Government Area which has been donated as temporary site for the establishment of the Federal Polytechnic N’yak.
He said others are being considered for the establishment of the Plateau State University Teaching hospital among others.
Manjang said the projects which are at various stages of completion will be commissioned within the tenure of this administration.
The Commissioner said the Executive Council also approved over N647 Million for the procurement of Water treatment chemicals awarded to Messrs Reliant Overseas Ltd.
He said “Council approved N647,480,000 for 100 MT of Aluminum Sulphide (Alum), 248 MT of hydrated lime and 1000 45 kg drums of Calcium Hypo chloride”.
He said Council received a report that the State has recorded two cases of Monkey Pox disease in Bassa and Shendam Local Government Areas, assuring that the Government is doing everything possible to ensure that the disease does not spread.
He urged citizens of Plateau State to imbibe good personal hygiene as well as take all preventive measures to nip the cases in the bud.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

SSA Adeboye: National Intermediate Games Will Give Nigeria’s Young Talents the Platform to Shine

info

Published

on

By

IMG 20260823 WA0080.jpg

The Senior Special Assistant to the President on Grassroots Sports Development, Hon. Adeyinka Anthony Adeboye, has reaffirmed the Federal Government’s commitment to delivering a successful maiden National Intermediate Games, describing the competition as a major step in building a stronger and more deliberate pathway from grassroots sport to elite competition.

Adeboye made the remarks on Saturday during another round of facility inspections in Lagos ahead of the Games, scheduled for October 1 to 15, 2026.

Read Also: EKO 2026: National Sports Commission Inspects Facilities Ahead of 1st National Intermediate Game

Representing the Director General of the National Sports Commission at the inspection, the SSA joined the Head of Grassroots Development, Niyi Beyioku, members of the Main Organising Committee (MOC), Local Organising Committee (LOC) and other officials to assess facilities and strengthen preparations for the historic competition.

The inspection began at the Teslim Balogun Stadium, Surulere, where the team examined the stadium turf, indoor sports hall and other facilities earmarked for the Games.

The delegation subsequently inspected the National Stadium Complex, National Institute for Sports (NIS), Rowe Park Sports Centre, Yaba College of Technology, University of Lagos sports facilities and hostels, Elegbata Sports Centre, the Cricket Oval at Tafawa Balewa Square, and Mobolaji Johnson Arena, which is being considered for the Opening and Closing Ceremonies.

For Adeboye, the inspection was not merely about checking venues ahead of a competition. He said it was part of the broader responsibility of ensuring that Nigeria begins to build a credible sporting pathway for young athletes.

“The National Intermediate Games is not just another competition. It is about the future of Nigerian sports. We are creating a platform where young talents can be identified, properly assessed, developed and given the opportunity to progress to the next level.”

He stressed that grassroots sports development must be supported by proper infrastructure, effective organisation and regular opportunities for young athletes to compete.

“Talent is everywhere in Nigeria. What has been missing in many cases is the structure and opportunity to take that talent from discovery to development. This is why the Intermediate Games are very important to us.”

The SSA commended the MOC and LOC for the work being done across the various venues and expressed confidence that continued collaboration between the National Sports Commission, Lagos State Government, sporting institutions and other stakeholders would produce a successful Games.

Following the facility tour, the MOC and LOC held a technical meeting to review operational, technical and logistical matters and identify areas requiring further attention before the arrival of athletes.

A total of 28 sports have been pencilled down for the maiden edition, with athletes expected to arrive from October 1, ahead of the Opening Ceremony on October 5.

The Games are designed for athletes in the Under-19 category, providing a crucial competitive platform for young athletes at a formative stage of their sporting careers.

Participants will come from all 36 states of the Federation and the Federal Capital Territory, while Nigerian athletes in the diaspora will also participate as a single contingent.

Adeboye said the inclusion of athletes from across the country would make the Games an important national talent pool and provide the opportunity to discover athletes who could eventually represent Nigeria at continental and global competitions.

“We want the boy or girl competing in a community today to know that there is a pathway. From grassroots competitions, to the Intermediate Games, to the National Sports Festival and ultimately to the national teams — that pathway must be clear.”

He added that the success of the Games would depend not only on the medals won but also on what happens to the young athletes after the competition.

“The real measure of success will be what we do with the talents we discover. We must not discover them and leave them behind. We have to develop them, support them and create the next stage of their journey.”

The SSA therefore called for continued cooperation among governments, sports federations, schools, clubs, private-sector partners and other stakeholders to ensure that the Games become a sustainable component of Nigeria’s long-term sports development strategy.

The inspection and subsequent technical meeting underline the determination of the organisers to ensure that the inaugural National Intermediate Games are delivered to a high standard, with athlete welfare, facility readiness, safety and effective competition management given priority.

Continue Reading

News

2027: Omo-Agege lacks campaign ideas — Delta commissioner

info

Published

on

By

Omo Agege.jpg

Delta State Commissioner for Works and Public Information, Charles Aniagwu, has said that former Deputy Senate President, Ovie Omo-Agege, lacks campaign ideas.

Aniagwu made this assertion on Sunday when he featured in an interview on Arise Television.

According to him, on Omo-Agege’s first day of campaigning, instead of telling the people his plans to be able to win the Delta Central senatorial seat, he left that agenda to allege that Governor Sheriff Oborevwori was threatening to eliminate him.

Omo-Agege had said that there was a threat to his life and members of his family from the Delta State Government House in Asaba.

He asked the Nigerian public, the international community, civil society organisations, the media and security agencies to take note of the alleged threats.

“I note with grave concern the disturbing and increasingly credible threats to my life and my family members in Delta State emanating from the Delta State Government House, Asaba,” the ex-deputy Senate President had said.

Reacting to the allegation, the commissioner, Aniagwu, said, “Omo-Agege is trying to mention our names so that he can have a cheap way to come to the media.

“What we have observed is that a number of these persons like himself lacks campaign ideas against Governor Oborevwori. They’re not even on the same ballot.

“Our governor doesn’t go around making threats. Looking at the last three and half years, you can see the amount of safety and tranquility we have in Delta.”

Continue Reading

Trending