Connect with us

News

Plateau Assembly Moves to Deepen Military Collaboration Amid Renewed Attacks

editor

Published

on

Plateau State House of Assembly

In a decisive move to curb rising insecurity, the Plateau State House of Assembly has pledged to deepen collaboration with the Nigerian Army following renewed attacks in parts of the state.

Led by Speaker Rt. Hon. Naanlong Daniel Gapyil, lawmakers of the 10th Assembly paid a strategic visit to the Headquarters of the 3 Armoured Division, Rukuba Barracks, on Thursday, where they met with the General Officer Commanding (GOC) and Commander of Operation Safe Haven (OPSH), Major General Folunsho Oyinlola.

The visit followed a resolution passed during plenary on Wednesday, July 16, after Hon. Dachung Danyam Musa of Riyom Constituency raised a motion of urgent public importance over recent killings in Bindi and Tahoss communities.

During the visit, Speaker Gapyil said the Assembly is committed to working closely with the military to evolve sustainable approaches to end violence and restore peace in conflict-prone areas.

“We are here to build synergy, enhance communication, and support the Nigerian Army in the collective mission to secure our communities. The House is ready to back security efforts through legislation, oversight, and advocacy,” Gapyil stated.

He applauded the army’s efforts under challenging circumstances and announced the creation of a standing House committee to maintain regular engagement with Operation Safe Haven and other security agencies.

In his remarks, Major General Oyinlola welcomed the lawmakers and underscored the army’s professional and impartial stance in managing the state’s security challenges. He acknowledged the difficulties faced by troops in Bindi and Tahoss, where assailants launched simultaneous attacks from multiple directions, complicating the military’s response.

Despite the challenges, the GOC reassured the Assembly of the army’s determination to protect lives and property. He also called on lawmakers to play a greater role in community peacebuilding by engaging local leaders, youth, and vigilante groups.

“The Armed Forces are committed to your safety. But security cannot be achieved by force alone—it requires the involvement and trust of the people,” Oyinlola said.

The visit is seen as a pivotal step in strengthening civil-military relations as the state grapples with recurring violence. It also reflects the legislature’s resolve to take a hands-on approach to addressing insecurity through strategic partnerships.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Benjamin Fredrick Named Among ‘Outsiders Looking To Challenge’ Top Rated African Players In English Premier League’s New Season

info

Published

on

By

IMG 20260822 WA0006.jpg

Brentford of England defender, Benjamin Chiemela Fredrick has been rated among some fast-growing African players regarded as ‘outsiders looking to challenge’ for recognition this season in the English Premier League, Sports247 reports.

Fredrick’s name appears in a survey that identified him as a young player who moved straight from the Nigerian Professional Football League (NPFL) into top-flight football in England, though he previously spent the 2025/2026 season on loan at Dender of Belgium.

Read Also: Arthur Okonkwo Hailed On Arrival At Charlton Athletic FC As ‘Outstanding Goalkeeper With Proven Ability’

However, with the Super Eagles’ rookie now back in the mainframe at Brentford, his rating is soaring high, just five years after he moved from Simoiben Football Academy of Kaduna to ABS FC of Ilorin for the 2021/2022 season.

He made his debut for ABS in February 2022, after which he joined Nasarawa United of Lafia in October of the same year, following which the 21-year-old defender, who can play in central defence and right-back, signed for Brentford in August 2023 on loan with an option for a full contract.

That contract has now been fully activiated, thereby setting the stage for one of Nigeria’s most promising defenders to get his leap into full flight EPL action, ahead of which a survey by BBC Sport Africa rates him among lads from the continent aiming to create huge impacts in the season that began on Friday.

The survey begins with a look at African players who are most likely to hit high marks this season in the EPL, and which of them will step into star status after the exit of Mohamed Salah from Liverpool to Trabzonspor of Turkey, but no Nigerian player is named in the log.

While Alex Iwobi, Calvin Bassey, Ola Aina, Semi Ajayi and Taiwo Awoniyi fail to get a mention, the list is headed by Antoine Semenyo of Ghana and Manchester City, followed by Omar Marmoush (Egypt, Manchester City) as well as Bryan Mbeumo (Cameroon, Manchester United).

Also mentioned among Africa’s top-5 prospects tipped to shine this season in the EPL is Ismaila Sarr (Senegal, Crystal Palace), while those named alongside Fredricks among ‘the challenegers’ are Tottenham’s Mohammed Kudus, Everton’s Iliman Ndiaye and Yoane Wissa of Newcastle United.

The survey noted, “Benjamin Fredrick has just signed a four-year deal and been promoted to Brentford’s first-team squad. That rarest of things – a player signed by a Premier League side direct from Nigeria.

“He was enjoying a successful loan in Belgium last season and was due to be one of the Super Eagles’ starting centre-backs at AFCON until suffering a knee injury on the eve of the tournament.”

Continue Reading

Business

AIICO Insurance Denies False Allegations, Sues Obinna Nwosu Over Defamation

info

Published

on

By

BY NKECHI BAECHE-ESEZOBOR—In a decisive move to protect its corporate reputation, AIICO Insurance Plc has taken legal action against a dismissed agent, Mr. Obinna Adolphus Nwosu, suing him for defamation after he circulated unsubstantiated claims to regulators, the media, and the general public.

For the avoidance of doubt, Mr. Nwosu’s appointment as an agent of AIICO Insurance Plc was terminated. Following the termination of his appointment, the Company published a public notice in national newspapers on 26 June 2025, expressly warning customers and members of the public against continuing to transact or maintain any business relationship with him on behalf of, or in connection with, AIICO Insurance Plc.

A statement released by the company reads: “AIICO Insurance Plc has become aware of a sustained campaign of false and misleading allegations being circulated by Mr. Obinna Adolphus Nwosu, a former agent of the Company, to various stakeholders, including regulatory authorities, law enforcement agencies, media organisations, bloggers, employees and other members of the public.

“Notwithstanding this, Mr. Nwosu has continued to circulate false and misleading narratives about the Company through various channels, including digital platforms and direct communications with stakeholders.

“His persistent and increasingly aggressive efforts to disseminate these claims have the potential to cause unwarranted damage to the Company’s reputation and create unnecessary concern among its employees, customers and other stakeholders.

“AIICO Insurance Plc wishes to state unequivocally that these allegations are false and should be treated with the utmost caution. Rather than engage in a media exchange or submit to a trial in the court of public opinion, the Company has elected to pursue the matter through the appropriate legal channels and has consequently commenced a defamation action against Mr. Nwosu at the Lagos State High Court.”

The statement added that “AIICO Insurance Plc will not be drawn into a public exchange with a former agent who has chosen to continue making unsubstantiated allegations while the matter is being pursued through the courts. The Company remains confident that the facts will be properly examined and determined through the established judicial process.

It further urged the media, regulators, employees, customers and the public are therefore urged to exercise due caution and discountenance the false and misleading narratives being circulated by Mr. Nwosu.

The statement also called on Nwosu to  make himself available to receive the relevant court processes and allow the matter to proceed in accordance with the law, rather than continuing to prosecute his claims through digital media and direct approaches to individuals within and outside the Company.

While noting that any genuine grievance or complaint should be presented through the appropriate regulatory, investigative or judicial channels, where it can be properly examined and determined based on verifiable facts and evidence.

The company reaffirmed assured “AIICO Insurance Plc remains committed to the highest standards of integrity, accountability and transparency.

The Company will continue to pursue all lawful avenues available to protect its reputation, its employees, customers and other stakeholders, and to ensure that the matter is resolved through due process and in accordance with the law.

The post AIICO Insurance Denies False Allegations, Sues Obinna Nwosu Over Defamation appeared first on Business Today NG.

Continue Reading

Trending