Connect with us

Business

Plateau Govt Procures 500 Truckloads of Fertilizer, Subsidises 50kg Bags at ₦20,000

info

Published

on

IMG 20260706 WA0037 scaled.jpg

The Plateau State Government has procured about 500 truckloads of fertiliser for distribution to farmers across the state’s 17 local government areas ahead of the 2026 farming season.

Governor Caleb Manasseh Mutfwang approved the intervention as part of efforts to support agricultural production, reduce the cost of farming inputs and improve food security across the state.

Under the subsidy programme, a 50kg bag of fertiliser will be sold to farmers at ₦20,000, significantly lower than the current market price of between ₦50,000 and ₦53,000.

The governor said the subsidy would take immediate effect to enable farmers to access the inputs without delay as the planting season progresses.

According to him, the fertiliser procurement is aimed at reducing production costs, improving crop yields and increasing profit margins for farmers across Plateau State.

Mutfwang described agriculture as a major pillar of his administration’s development agenda, noting that the sector remains critical to economic growth, job creation and rural development.

He said the intervention was a direct response to concerns raised by farmers over the rising cost of agricultural inputs, adding that the government was determined to make farming more productive, profitable and sustainable.

The governor also said the programme aligns with the agricultural development objectives of the Federal Government under the Renewed Hope Agenda of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

While the official flag-off of the 2026 Fertiliser Subsidy Programme is scheduled for Friday, July 10, 2026, Governor Mutfwang has directed that sales of the subsidised fertiliser should commence immediately.

He urged farmers across the state to take advantage of the programme, assuring them of his administration’s continued commitment to policies and interventions that would strengthen agricultural productivity, improve rural livelihoods and position Plateau State as a leading hub for agriculture and agribusiness in Nigeria.

The development was contained in a statement issued by the Director of Press and Public Affairs to the Governor, Dr Gyang Bere, on July 6, 2026.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

EFCC recovers $60 million for Nestoil lenders in ongoing debt investigation

info

Published

on

By

Nestoil a e1786859037434.jpg

MTN ADVERT

Nigeria’s top anti-corruption agency, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), has recovered $60 million from indigenous oil and gas firm Nestoil Limited.

This breakthrough could advance efforts to resolve the protracted debt crisis between the energy company and a consortium of lenders.

Those familiar with the matter told PREMIUM TIMES that at a meeting facilitated by Olanipekun Olukoyode, the agency’s chief, Nestoil and a group of banks agreed to a structured repayment plan as part of an effort to recover the debt owed by the company to the lenders.

Our findings show that the engagement between the two parties has begun to bear fruit, with $60 million recovered so far from Nestoil and paid to the lenders in the course of the EFCC investigation and follow-up meetings with parties to the matter.

Oguzi Moses, head of investigation at EFCC’S Lagos Zonal Directorate 2, facilitated the payment made so far.

PT WHATSAPP CHANNEL

The consortium of lenders, PREMIUM TIMES found, welcomed the payment as a positive step and noted that it marks only the first stage in the repayment process, given that a substantial portion of Nestoil’s debt remains outstanding.

EFCC spokesperson, Dele Oyewale, did not answer or return calls seeking his comment on this development. But a top official of the agency, who asked not to be named because he did not have permission to discuss the case, confirmed the development, saying the anti-graft agency had to wade into the matter because of its economic implications for Nigeria.

Nnenna Azudialu-Obiejesi, executive director at Nestoil, also did not answer or return our reporter’s calls.

Background: Nestoil vs Lenders

The partial debt recovery is a major step forward in resolving a knotty legal battle between Nestoil and the banks over an alleged debt default.

The disagreement has strained relations between the parties and has far-reaching implications for the non-performing loan portfolios of some of Nigeria’s big banks.

The rift between the two parties is the subject of a complicated legal dispute that came to a head at the Supreme Court of Nigeria in June, leading the court to annul an order by the Court of Appeal freezing the assets of Nestoil and its affiliate, Neconde Energy.

The lawsuit is an attempt by FBN Quest Merchant Bank and First Trustees Limited to recover debts totalling more than $1 billion and N430 billion allegedly owed by Neconde and Nestoil, as well as Azudialu Obiejesi and Nnenna Azudialu-Obiejesi, their top promoters.

Last October, police officers acting on an order issued by Dehinde Dipeolu, a judge of the Federal High Court, Lagos Division, sealed Nestoil’s headquarters in Lagos. The order gave FBN Quest Merchant Bank and First Trustees leave to take over Nestoil’s assets.

Justice Dipeolu granted multiple orders freezing the defendants’ bank accounts and shares held with more than 20 financial and other institutions in Nigeria.

The court also authorised Abubakar Sulu-Gambari (SAN), the receiver/manager appointed by the plaintiffs, to take over Nestoil’s headquarters and other identified assets.

Justice Dipeolu also directed multiple security agencies to help enforce the receivership.

Following Nestoil’s complaints about the proceedings, John Tsoho, the chief judge of the Federal High Court, reassigned the case to another judge.

On 20 November 2025, J. Osiagor, the new Judge, revoked the earlier receivership-enforcement order.

FBN Quest Merchant Bank and First Trustees appealed against the decision on 22 November 2025.

In November 2025, the Court of Appeal issued a restorative injunction in an ex parte application filed by the financial institutions.

The order reversed Justice Osiagor’s decision, and also prohibited Nestoil, Neconde and their agents from obstructing the receiver/manager pending the hearing of the appeal.

In January, the Supreme Court directed all the parties in the suit to return to the Court of Appeal to resolve a major procedural issue.

It held that the appeal court had to resolve the issue around legal representation in the case.

On that score, the Court of Appeal, in January, disqualified Wole Olanipekun, Muiz Banire, and other lawyers appearing with them from representing Neconde and Nestoil.

It ruled that the receivership of Mr Sulu-Gambari had suspended Mr Azudialu-Obiejesi’s powers.

But the Supreme Court ruled in June that the appellate court exceeded its authority by issuing an ex parte application against the oil firms.

It ruled that the Court of Appeal assumed jurisdiction and granted an injunction against Neconde and Nestoil when the dispute was not properly before the court.

It also rebuked the lower court for misusing the judicial process in granting a stay of proceedings at the Federal High Court, Lagos.

The court consequently annulled the freezing order on Nestoil’s and Neconde’s assets.

Effect of Nestoil debt on banks

“Prior to the Court Action, Nestoil obtained several bilateral loan facilities from eight (8) lenders dating back to 2010 and serially defaulted on all the various repayment obligations,” the consortium of lenders said in a statement following the Supreme Court’s ruling.

READ ALSO: EFCC arraigns man for N56.5 million Hajj fraud

“Nestoil subsequently proposed restructuring the bilateral loan facilities to bring the Lenders into a Global Club to ease the administration of the indebtedness. Lenders, in good faith, agreed to this restructuring, but Nestoil has again serially defaulted on its repayment obligations since the restructuring became effective in 2023,” the lenders added.

According to a May press release by the lenders, Nestoil’s alleged $2 billion distressed loan has triggered “a historic balance sheet reset” and “a lack of dividend payments” at some major Nigerian banks.

The statement listed First Bank, United Bank for Africa and Access Bank among financial institutions severely impacted by Nestoil’s bad loans.


Discover more from Premium Times Nigeria

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Continue Reading

Business

NDLEA arrests India-bound Businessman with cocaine, recovers N3.6b Colos, codeine in Lagos

info

Published

on

By

BY NKECHI BAECHE-ESEZOBOR—A 48-year-old businessman Nwankwo Innocent Onyebuchi who liquidated all his assets to chase a dream of quick riches in the illicit drug trade has been arrested by operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA) Ikeja Lagos, while heading to New Delhi, India, with 1.550 kilograms of cocaine cleverly concealed within the side walls and railings of his bag.

Nwankwo who deals in marbles in Lagos was arrested at the departure hall of terminal II of the Lagos airport while attempting to board a Qatar Airways flight to New Delhi, India. A search of his check-in bag uncovered 1.550 kilograms of cocaine factory-fitted in the walls and railings of his bag.
In a candid confession that lays bare the desperation that fuels the drug trade, Nwankwo said he had sold off his marble business and every asset he owned to raise the ₦23 million he paid for the consignment, with the expectation of selling it in India for as much as N100 million. With his assets gone, and Nwankwo’s dream of transiting from a marble trader to a drug kingpin effectively shattered following his arrest, the suspect remains in custody awaiting prosecution and likely time in jail.
In another operation, NDLEA operatives acting on credible intelligence raided a warehouse within a residential compound at 20 Hakeem Dosumu street Ago Palace area of Okota, Lagos, where a massive stockpile of codeine-based syrup was discovered. A total of 3,776 cartons, comprising 377,600 bottles of the controlled substance, valued at over N2.6 billion, were recovered between Friday 7th and Saturday 8th August 2026.
In yet another intelligence-led operation, NDLEA operatives on Wednesday 14th August raided the residence of a 55-year-old kingpin Shoremi Kayode, at 37 Ogundare street, Ipaja estate, Ipaja area of Lagos, recovering 324 kilograms of Colorado, a synthetic strain of cannabis, with a street value of Nine Hundred and Seventy-Two Million Naira (N972,000,000). Also recovered from the suspect were a Mercedes-Benz car and a Toyota Corolla car.
In Kwara, two suspects: Abubakar Adamu, 50, and Bilyaminu Nuhu, 30, were on Thursday 13th August arrested at Kam Wire area of Ilorin with 55.96kg skunk in a truck marked DKA 350 XL recovered, while two other suspects: 70-year-old grandpa Abdulfatai Oyelaran and Abdulrauf Ajadi, 50, were nabbed by NDLEA officers on patrol along the Lagos-Ibadan expressway, Ibadan, Oyo state on Wednesday 12th August. Recovered from their Toyota Sienna vehicle marked FFA-115KA, include: 52,000 ampoules of pentazocine injection and 6,000 ampoules of tramadol injection.
A total of 124,100 pills of tramadol; 786 bottles of codeine syrup; 2,598 tablets of rohypnol;
4,800 tablets of diazepam; 470 ampoules of pentazocine injection and 200 ampoules of tramadol injection were recovered from two suspects: Osaro Ikpoba, 43, and Samuel Godbless, 18, along Onitsha/Asaba expressway on Thursday 13th August, while another suspect, Emeka Tony, 50, was nabbed with 1,244 pieces of cartridges and monetary exhibit of eight million naira (N8,000,000) only along Kwale/Ozoro expressway on Wednesday 12th August.
A Toyota Corolla car with registration number MKD 341 EA was intercepted by NDLEA operatives along Riyom/Jos road, Jos Plateau state where 239,490 caps of tramaforce, a brand of tramadol were recovered and a suspect Kasum Sherif arrested.
In Kano, six suspects were arrested on Monday 10th August by NDLEA operatives on patrol along Zaria-Kano road. They include: Okodili Ibeabuchi, 60; Onyeka Vincent, 47; Nwanko Wisdom, 36; Success Chigozie, 30; Emmanuel Jude, 27; and Chinedu Peter, 39. Large consignments of opioids were recovered from them include 728,958 pills of tramadol, rohypnol, and others as well as 360 grams of cocaine, 99.8 grams of methamphetamine, 50 bottles of codeine syrup and and 2.7 kilograms of Loud, a synthetic strain of cannabis.
Also in Kano, NDLEA operatives on Friday 14th August raided the Zawaciki Gida Dubu, Kumbotso LGA, where they recovered 171 blocks of skunk weighing 106.8kg and arrested two suspects: Mustapha Iliya, 30, and Abdulwahab Abdulrashid, 24 in connection with the seizure.
A total of 4,628.9775kg skunk was destroyed on two cannabis farms that measured 1.851591 hectares at Ugboku/Igbanke forest, Orhionmwon LGA, Edo state where a suspect Agholor Elebojie, 40, was arrested in one of the farms during a raid by NDLEA operatives on Wednesday 12th August. Another suspect, Kingsley Anigala, 28, was nabbed with 25.857kg Loud and 93 grams of meth during a raid of drug joints at Oluku area of Benin city on Friday 14th August.
The War Against Drug Abuse (WADA) social advocacy activities by NDLEA Commands equally continued across the country in the past week. Some of them include: WADA sensitization lecture delivered to students and staff of Madarasatu Sheikh Muhammad Rabi’u Arabic School, Kano and Olomu Junior Secondary School, Ajah, Lagos state, among others.
While commending the officers, men and women of MMIA, Lagos, Kano, Kwara, Edo, Plateau, Oyo and Delta Commands of the Agency for the arrests and seizures of the past week, Chairman/Chief Executive Officer of NDLEA, Brig. Gen. Mohamed Buba Marwa (Rtd) also praised their counterparts in all the commands across the country for pursuing a fair balance between their drug supply reduction and drug demand reduction efforts.

The post NDLEA arrests India-bound Businessman with cocaine, recovers N3.6b Colos, codeine in Lagos appeared first on Business Today NG.

Continue Reading

Trending