Connect with us

News

Elon Musk has lost his lawsuit against Sam Altman and OpenAI

info

Published

on

Elon musk world economic forum1.jpg

Elon Musk’s claim that he was mistreated by his OpenAI cofounders failed after nine California jurors returned a unanimous verdict that his lawsuits had been filed too late.

Musk accused Sam Altman, Greg Brockman, OpenAI and Microsoft of “stealing a charity” by creating a for-profit affiliate of the frontier AI lab. Jurors, however, found that any harms that Musk may have suffered came before the deadline for filing his claims under the law.

While the trial delved deeply into the melodramatic history of OpenAI and featured testimony from leading figures in Silicon Valley, it ultimately turned on fairly narrow questions of the law. The trial focused on whether and when Altman and the other defendants had made and broken promises to Musk, but his case failed to convince jurors that he had a valid claim.

In particular, OpenAI had advanced a statute of limitations defense, which sought to prove that any harms Musk sought to litigate had taken place before 2021. (The specific date varied by the charge: before August 5, 2021 for the first count; August 5, 2022, for the second count; and November 14, 2021, for the third count.) Ultimately, the jury found that argument persuasive, which made for a short deliberation period.

“There was a substantial amount of evidence to support the jury’s finding, which is why I was prepared to dismiss on the spot,” Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers said after the verdict was delivered.

The end of the case means that one major threat to OpenAI — a possible restructuring — is now off the table ahead of its reported IPO.

“It did not take [the jury] two hours to conclude…that Mr. Musk’s lawsuit is nothing more than an after the fact contrivance that bears no relationship to reality,” OpenAI’s lead attorney, Bill Savitt, said after the verdict. “They kicked it exactly where it belongs—just to the side. This lawsuit is a hypocritical attempt to sabotage a competitor.”

Microsoft, which Musk sued for aiding and abetting OpenAI’s alleged breach of charitable trust, welcomed the verdict. A spokesperson for the company said it “remained committed to our work with OpenAI to advance and scale AI for people and organizations around the world.”

The verdict came in the middle of a hearing to determine the potential damages to Musk if the verdict had gone the other way. While that discussion is moot for now, the judge appeared unconvinced by the analogy Musk’s lawyers drew between his charitable contributions and investments in a for-profit startup.

“Your analysis seems to be devoid of connection to the underlying facts,” she told Dr. C. Paul Wazzan, the expert who came up with Musk’s estimate of OpenAI and Microsoft’s wrongful gains at his expense—some $78.8 billion to $135 billion.

Reached for comment by TechCrunch, Musk’s lead counsel Marc Toberoff said, “One word: Appeal.”

When you purchase through links in our articles, we may earn a small commission. This doesn’t affect our editorial independence.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

2027: ADC screens more than 70 governorship aspirants for primaries (FULL LIST)

info

Published

on

By

The African Democratic Congress, ADC, has screened over 70 governorship aspirants ahead of its 2027 primary elections.

The exercise, held in Abuja on Monday, brought together various aspirants from several states, including Adamawa, Delta, Benue, Zamfara, Plateau, Bauchi, Jigawa, Lagos, Nasarawa and Rivers.

Speaking after his appearance before the panel, Senator Mohamed Onawo, representing Nasarawa South and Chairman of the Senate Committee on Arts, Culture and Creative Economy, described the process as thorough and fair.

Onawo stated that the screening committee members demonstrated professionalism in reviewing documents and engaging aspirants on critical issues.

“The committee members were professional, thorough and fair in assessing documents and asking relevant questions,” Onawo said.

He said he was confident in the chances of the ADC in the 2027 governorship elections, especially in Nasarawa State, citing his political experience and what he described as growing public support for the party.

Among those screened were former Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami (Kebbi); Senator Mohammed Jibrilla (Adamawa); Great Ogboru (Delta); Senator Mohamed Onawo (Nasarawa); Gbadebo Rhodes-Vivour (Lagos); Dr Shehu Ahmad Issa (Zamfara) and Retired General John Surai (Plateau).

Also screened were Adeboyega Adegoke (Oyo); Senator Haliru Jika (Bauchi); Barrister Kashim Geidam (Yobe), Musa Ahmed (Adamawa) and Nuhu Agbazu (Nasarawa).

The list also included Dr Emmanuel Unuafe (Delta); Bashir Adamu (Jigawa); Ambassador Umar Suleiman (Adamawa); Dr Leloonu Nwibubasa (Rivers), and Peter Adejoh (Benue). 

Continue Reading

Business

CIIN Mourns Passing of Past NCRIB President, Barrister Rotimi Edu

info

Published

on

By

IMG 6442.jpeg

BY NKECHI NAECHE-ESEZOBOR—The Governing Council, Management, and members of the Chartered Insurance Institute of Nigeria (CIIN) have expressed deep sorrow over the passing of Barrister Rotimi Edu, a prominent figure in the nation’s insurance sector and the Past President of the Nigerian Council of Registered Insurance Brokers (NCRIB).

In an official statement, the CIIN paid tribute to Barrister Edu, describing him as a distinguished professional and a fierce advocate for the advancement of the insurance industry in Nigeria.

‘His contributions to the growth of insurance brokerage and industry development remain remarkable and enduring,” the Institute noted, highlighting the significant impact of his leadership and legacy.

The CIIN extended its heartfelt condolences to the Edu family, the NCRIB community, and his wide circle of friends and associates, praying for his soul to rest in perfect peace.

Barrister Edu’s passing marks a significant loss for the Nigerian financial services sector, where his legal expertise and insurance acumen helped shape modern brokerage practices. Funeral arrangements are expected to be announced by the family in due course.

The post CIIN Mourns Passing of Past NCRIB President, Barrister Rotimi Edu appeared first on Business Today NG.

Continue Reading

Trending