Connect with us

News

OpenAI reportedly finds evidence that more of its agents ran amok

info

Published

on

OpenAI logo green.jpg

Much has been made of the incident in which one of OpenAI’s agents broke out of its sandboxed test environment and proceeded to hack the AI hosting platform Hugging Face. OpenAI has since launched an investigation into how the incident occurred, which is still ongoing.

Now, anonymous sources have told Reuters that more of OpenAI’s agents are believed to have escaped their sandboxes. However, one source downplayed the severity, saying that with those escapes, the agents didn’t appear to leave OpenAI’s network to hack into another company’s. TechCrunch reached out to OpenAI for more information.

AI programs acting in bizarre ways has apparently become a weird, almost bragging point for companies. The same week, Anthropic also announced that it had discovered not one, but three instances in which its agents had escaped test environments and hacked other organizations.

AI companies have also been accused of using such incidents for marketing purposes — as they generate considerable attention and may underscore how powerful the companies’ products are. The flip side of that is that these disclosures are also ramping up discussions of government regulations.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Health

Ebola: DRC gets 70,000 Ervebo vaccine doses as Bundibugyo outbreak worsens

info

Published

on

By

Vaccines for homeless western cape vaccination.jpg

MTN ADVERT

The Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has received an initial allocation of 70,000 doses of the Ervebo Ebola vaccine to support the response to the ongoing Bundibugyo virus disease outbreak.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) and the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) disclosed this in a joint statement on Thursday.

The allocation followed a request by the DRC government last week for vaccines from the global Ebola virus disease vaccine stockpile managed by the International Coordinating Group on Vaccine Provision (ICG).

Of the 70,000 doses, 20,000 will be used in a Phase III clinical trial to assess whether Ervebo can protect against Bundibugyo virus, while the remaining 50,000 doses will be administered to frontline and health workers in line with recommendations by the WHO Strategic Advisory Group of Experts on Immunisation (SAGE).

Why the vaccine is being tested

The decision to use part of the allocation in a clinical trial reflects the uncertainty surrounding the effectiveness of Ervebo against Bundibugyo virus.

PT WHATSAPP CHANNEL

Ervebo is a licensed vaccine recommended for use during outbreaks caused by the Zaire species of Ebola virus. The current outbreak in the DRC, however, is caused by Bundibugyo virus, a different species of the Ebola virus.

WHO said it is not yet known whether Ervebo can protect humans against Bundibugyo virus, although early laboratory and animal studies suggest that it may provide some protection.

The Phase III trial is therefore expected to generate evidence on whether the vaccine can offer protection against the virus and help guide future decisions on its use during similar outbreaks.

WHO said people offered the vaccine, whether as part of the trial or outside it, must be informed about the potential risks, benefits and limitations of using Ervebo against Bundibugyo virus and must provide informed consent.

Outbreak spread

According to the latest WHO disease outbreak update, 4,665 confirmed cases and 2,184 deaths had been reported as of 12 August.

The outbreak has expanded from the Mongbwalu health zone in Ituri Province to 54 health zones across six provinces: Ituri, North Kivu, South Kivu, Haut-Uélé, Tshopo and Bas-Uélé.

WHO described the outbreak as being in a phase of intense transmission and said it was the largest Ebola outbreak ever reported in the DRC.

The outbreak was declared on 15 May and has been driven by factors including population movement, insecurity, artisanal mining activities and cross-border travel involving Uganda and South Sudan.

The scale of the outbreak has consequently increased pressure on health authorities and researchers to deploy available interventions while developing tools specifically suited to the Bundibugyo virus.

Vaccine development

In July, PREMIUM TIMES reported that the first human clinical trial of an experimental Bundibugyo Ebola vaccine had begun at the University of Oxford.

The Phase I trial, known as BD-Ebov, is assessing the safety of the experimental ChAdOx1 BDBV vaccine and its ability to stimulate immune responses in healthy adults.

The vaccine was developed by the University of Oxford’s Oxford Vaccine Group and Pandemic Sciences Institute in collaboration with the Serum Institute of India and the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI).

Unlike Ervebo, which is licensed for use against Zaire ebolavirus, ChAdOx1 BDBV was specifically designed to target Bundibugyo virus.

The development of a vaccine specifically targeting the virus is considered important because there is currently no approved vaccine specifically for Bundibugyo virus.

The use of Ervebo in the current outbreak could therefore serve a dual purpose; providing protection to health workers who are at high risk of exposure while generating evidence on whether an existing Ebola vaccine can provide protection against another species of the virus.

WHO’s technical advisory group on candidate vaccine prioritisation recently recommended that Ervebo be included in a randomised clinical trial during the ongoing DRC outbreak following a review of emerging evidence on its potential cross-protection against Bundibugyo virus.

Community response

Beyond the vaccines, WHO and Africa CDC said the success of the response would also depend on the involvement of communities affected by the outbreak.

The two organisations welcomed the allocation of the vaccines and supported the DRC’s focus on a community-led approach, which they said would give communities a central role in the response.

Such an approach, they said, would help protect affected populations, save lives and contain transmission while ensuring that people receiving the vaccine understand its potential benefits and limitations.

The ICG partners are WHO, the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) and United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), while Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance, provides funding for the global vaccine stockpile.

WHO and Africa CDC said they remained committed to supporting the DRC government to end the outbreak while generating scientific evidence that could strengthen preparedness for future outbreaks.

READ ALSO: DRC Ebola outbreak becomes second-largest on record – WHO

Nigeria’s preparedness

The continued spread of the virus has also raised concerns beyond the DRC because of the potential for cross-border transmission.

Nigeria has subsequently heightened its preparedness, with the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (NCDC) activating its Emergency Operations Centre, strengthening surveillance at points of entry and increasing monitoring across states.

The federal government also identified 21 states and the Federal Capital Territory as being at high risk of Ebola infection following a dynamic risk assessment.

State governments were urged to strengthen surveillance, isolation capacity and infection prevention and control measures.


Discover more from Premium Times Nigeria

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Continue Reading

News

2027: Obi pledges campaign devoid of ethnicity, religion, marshals out plan for zones

info

Published

on

By

As campaigns commence for the 2027 general elections, the presidential candidate of the Nigeria Democratic Congress, NDC, Mr Peter Obi has marshalled out his plans for Nigerians, pledging to run a campaign devoid of ethnicity and religion.

Obi, who spoke to journalists at a world press conference in his home in Onitsha, Anambra State on Friday, also gave a blow by blow account of how he will develop the country, including his areas of concentration in the various regions of the country. 

He said the election is no doubt a defining moment for Nigeria’s democracy, and that it gives Nigerians the opportunity to assess the records, ideas, and plans of those seeking their mandate to lead their country at a time of grave uncertainty in a rapidly changing world.

Part of his text read: “I consider myself quite privileged to be one of those seeking your mandate to deal with these challenges facing our country. I enter this contest with one firm conviction: Nigeria can work, and Nigeria must work. Nigeria faces several serious challenges. Some of them are indeed of existential proportions.

“According to the IMF, 63%, or over 140 million Nigerians, live at or below the national poverty line, while humanitarian agencies estimate that 35 million people will need food assistance during the 2026 lean season. About 3.6 million Nigerians remain internally displaced, largely because of conflict and insecurity. 

“Each year, millions of young people enter the labour market, yet too many struggle to find productive opportunities. Weak infrastructure, unreliable power, insecurity, and the excessive cost of doing business continue to burden households and constrain enterprise. These are more than statistics. They reflect the daily realities of Nigerian families, farmers, workers, students, and businesses.”

Pledging to run a campaign devoid of ethnicity and religion, Obi said: “The campaign period gives every citizen an opportunity to join the national conversation. I urge Nigerians to examine each candidate’s record and proposals, ask tough questions, and demand evidence behind every promise.

“We should debate ideas without hatred, compete without violence, and disagree without weakening the bonds that unite us. When Nigerians make their choice, that choice must be respected.

“Nigerians must reject and disregard any campaign driven by propaganda, ethnicity, religion, elitism, or cronyism. As my team and I travel across the country, we will listen to Nigerians, understand their needs and concerns, and assure them that we have the competence, character, and compassion to lead and reset Nigeria for the benefit of all.”

Espousing the strength of the six geopolitical zones where he will strengthen, Obi said: “Nigeria’s diversity is an economic strength. Each region has distinct assets, and national policy must unlock those assets while connecting them to one productive economy.

“The North-West can expand agriculture, livestock, irrigation, agro-processing, and manufacturing while strengthening education and security. The North-East can speed up reconstruction, restore livelihoods, and expand agriculture, education, enterprise, and regional trade.

“The North-Central can strengthen food production and processing while developing its mineral resources responsibly. The South-West can build on its strengths in manufacturing, technology, finance, trade, and the creative economy.

“The South-East can expand its entrepreneurial and industrial strength through better infrastructure, stronger connectivity, and greater access to investment. The South-South can derive greater value from oil and gas while expanding maritime services, fisheries, agriculture, and other productive sectors, supported by stronger environmental protection. 

“The Federal Capital Territory must demonstrate what efficient urban planning, transportation, housing, sanitation, security, and public services can achieve. Every region must produce. Every region must contribute. Every region must benefit.”

The presidential hopeful took the opportunity to speak about his pedigree in governance, saying, “My successful private-sector experience, studies in institutions of repute on policy and business matters, and my service as Governor of Anambra State have shaped my understanding of public leadership. Government must manage resources responsibly, set clear priorities, and measure the outcomes of its decisions. Public office is not a reward; it is a responsibility to the people.

“In Anambra, I prioritised the foundations of long-term development; education, healthcare, infrastructure, fiscal discipline, and institutional capacity. I do not present that record as perfect, but as an experience from which Nigerians can draw their own conclusions.

“Senator Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso brings a different but complementary governing experience. As Governor of Kano State, he focused strongly on education, technical training, scholarships, infrastructure, and human-capital development. His administration’s investments in education and skills showed an understanding that the people are a state’s most important long-term resource.

“Our experiences are different, but our conclusion is the same: Nigeria must invest in its people and manage public resources with discipline,” Obi stated.

Continue Reading

Trending