Connect with us

News

OpenAI faces investigation from state attorneys general

info

Published

on

Openai logo code background.jpg

A coalition of state attorneys general has reportedly opened an investigation into OpenAI.

The company was served with a subpoena from New York’s attorney general on Friday, according to The Wall Street Journal. That subpoena sought documents related to a broad range of topics including the company’s advertising, user engagement and retention, model sycophancy, handling of consumer data and health data, and treatment of minors and seniors.

TechCrunch has reached out to OpenAI and the New York attorney general’s office for confirmation. A company spokesperson told the WSJ that OpenAI is cooperating with the investigation.

“AI is a new and powerful technology, and we work every day to safely bring its benefits to people in a responsible way,” the spokesperson said in a statement. “We take the concerns raised by state attorneys general seriously and intend to engage constructively with their offices.”

According to Bloomberg, the spokesperson also said that ChatGPT now “includes a more protective experience for minors and people experiencing difficult situations, with safeguards that direct them to real-world resources and trusted human contacts.” The company declined to specify which states are involved in the investigation or to share more details about what information was requested.

OpenAI recently defeated its co-founder Elon Musk in a high-profile trial, after Musk accused the company of violating its founding agreement. (Musk’s lead attorney said he will appeal the decision.)

However, OpenAI still faces lawsuits over everything from alleged copyright infringement to ChatGPT’s alleged role in suicide. Earlier this month, Florida Attorney General James Uthmeier sued OpenAI and its CEO Sam Altman, claiming that OpenAI and Altman “ignored internal and external safety warnings, put children at great risk, and allowed a dangerous product to reach millions of Floridians.”

Altman recently apologized to the community of Tumbler Ridge, Canada after a mass shooting; he acknowledged that OpenAI failed to alert law enforcement after the company flagged and banned the suspected shooter’s ChatGPT account.

The company announced this week that it has filed confidentially to go public.

When you purchase through links in our articles, we may earn a small commission. This doesn’t affect our editorial independence.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

2027: ‘Learn from Davido, you can remove Tinubu’ – Timi Frank to Nigerian youths

info

Published

on

By

Timi Frank.jpg

Timi Frank, former Deputy National Publicity Secretary of the All Progressives Congress, APC, has said the re-election of Ademola Adeleke in Osun State showed that Nigerians, especially youths, can remove President Bola Ahmed Tinubu through the ballot in the 2027 general election.

He disclosed this in a statement on Monday.

📱 Continue reading on the Daily Post app →
Free • No sign-up • Read the full story in the app

Continue Reading

News

14 kidnap victims rescued in Kogi, Plateau operations: Army

info

Published

on

By

HPY4WlaW0AAD1 L e1786951335651.jpg

The Nigerian Army says 14 kidnap victims were rescued in separate operations in Kogi, while sustaining pressure on criminal elements across the country.

The army disclosed this in its latest operational update covering August 15 and 16, on Sunday. In Kogi, the troops of 21 Battalion rescued 13 victims abducted along the Alloma-Ejule Road in Ofu council area.

The troops had launched a search-and-rescue operation after the victims were kidnapped on Tuesday.

The operation covered the Emeweopada-Abocho axis in Dekina council area, where sustained military pressure forced the kidnappers to flee.

“The victims were subsequently released and taken to the palace of the Onu Abocho for further action. In another incident in Ofu, troops responding to a suspected kidnapping attack along the Ochadamu-Okabo Road rescued a pregnant woman abandoned by kidnappers.

“The troops had discovered that four civilians, including the pregnant woman, were abducted by the criminals. The kidnappers abandoned the woman and fled after sighting the advancing troops from a distance. The rescued woman was subsequently reunited with her family,” the report said.

In Plateau, troops of Operation ENDURING PEACE responded to a report of the kidnapping of two civilians at Nhantina Village in Bokkos council area.

One of the victims had gunshot wounds and was evacuated to Bokkos Cottage Hospital for medical attention, while troops continued pursuit of the abductors.

“Meanwhile, troops of Operation FANSAN YAMMA arrested another suspect linked to a notorious arms and explosives dealer in Zamfara. The development followed the Aug. 14 arrest of the arms dealer while transporting 180 units of 20mm Super Power explosives along the Kaura-Zurmi Road in Zurmi Local Government Area.

“Based on information obtained from the suspect, troops of 1 Military Intelligence Regiment arrested another suspect at the Gusau Central Motor Park on August 15,” the report said.

In Sokoto, troops responding to a terrorist attack at Jijira Village in Sabon Birni council area forced the attackers to flee into nearby bushes. According to the report, troops have begun efforts to track the fleeing terrorists, rescue the abducted persons and recover the rustled livestock.

“Troops also foiled an attack by suspected armed militias targeting Murish Community in Mangu Local Government Area. Troops responded to reports of sporadic shooting, forcing the suspected militias to withdraw from the area. They subsequently dominated the area to deny the criminal elements freedom of action,” it added.

The latest operations underscored the military’s continued focus on disrupting kidnapping, terrorism and other criminal activities while supporting efforts to restore peace in affected communities.

(NAN)



Continue Reading

Trending