Connect with us

News

Nuro receives driverless testing permit ahead of Uber robotaxi service launch

info

Published

on

Uber lucid.jpg

Nuro has been granted a permit to begin driverless testing of Lucid Gravity SUVs equipped with its autonomous tech on California public roads — vehicles that will eventually be used in Uber’s premium robotaxi service. But the Silicon Valley-based startup, backed by Nvidia and Uber, says it isn’t quite ready to begin.

The California Department of Motor Vehicles, the agency that regulates the testing and deployment of autonomous vehicles in the state, confirmed to TechCrunch on Tuesday that it modified Nuro’s driverless AV permit to include Lucid Gravity vehicles.

Nuro has held a driverless permit for six years, but it only applied to operate a low-speed delivery vehicle — a program that was scrapped when the startup pivoted its business model to focus on licensing its technology to companies like Uber.

This latest driverless permit allows Nuro to test the Lucid vehicles without a human safety operator behind the wheel. Nuro spokesperson David Salguero told TechCrunch the company expects to begin driverless testing later this year, without providing further information on timing.

The driverless permit is one of many regulatory hurdles that Nuro must clear before Uber can launch its premium robotaxi service. Nuro will also have to receive a driverless ride-hailing permit from the California Public Utilities Commission and a deployment permit from the DMV.

For now, Nuro and Uber are testing the Lucid vehicles in autonomous mode with a human safety operator in the driver’s seat. Last month, that testing was expanded to allow Uber employees to request an autonomous ride in a Lucid robotaxi — with a human safety operator still on board — through the Uber app.

As Nuro makes progress on testing, Uber has upped its commitment to Lucid.

Techcrunch event

San Francisco, CA
|
October 13-15, 2026

When the three-way deal was announced in July 2025, Uber said it would invest $300 million in Lucid and buy 20,000 robotaxi-ready Gravity vehicles. That has since been expanded to $500 million and a minimum of 35,000 robotaxis, with the agreement changing to include at least 10,000 Gravity SUVs and 25,000 EVs built on Lucid’s upcoming mid-size platform.

Those EVs will be equipped with Nuro’s autonomous vehicle system, which is powered by Nvidia’s Drive AGX Thor computer. The Lucid Gravity robotaxi, which was revealed in January, is outfitted with high-resolution cameras, solid-state lidar sensors, and radars that help the self-driving system perceive the real-world environment and operate within it.

Uber has also made a multimillion-dollar investment in Nuro.

Lucid has delivered 75 engineering vehicles to Nuro and Uber and testing and mileage accumulation is ongoing in several cities throughout the United States, the EV maker disclosed during its first-quarter earnings call on Tuesday.

Lucid said Tuesday it is on track for commercial robotaxi operations to begin in late 2026. It is possible that those robotaxi operations will not be driverless or will be limited in some other way, depending on regulatory approvals.

Still, Lucid executives struck a positive tone during the call noting that all the development and certifications are moving along as expected.

When you purchase through links in our articles, we may earn a small commission. This doesn’t affect our editorial independence.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

2027: INEC has no candidate, favours no party –Prof Amupitan 

info

Published

on

By

The Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, Professor Josiah Amupitan, has assured political parties and Nigerians that the commission will remain neutral in the 2027 elections.

Amupitan gave the assurance on Tuesday at the National Peace Accord ahead of the 2027 presidential election.

“INEC has no interest in who wins or loses any election. The commission does not have a candidate, nor does it favour any political platform,” Amupitan said.

The INEC chairman also urged political parties and candidates to focus on issues during the 2027 campaign rather than turning the election into a contest of violence and personal attacks.

“Let the 2027 election campaign be a marketplace of ideas, not a theatre of war,” he said.

Amupitan said Nigerians were more interested in practical solutions to their challenges and urged political actors to present clear and measurable programmes.

“Nigerians do not want insults; they want solutions. They deserve to hear clear, concrete, and measurable manifestos,” he said.

He also assured Nigerians that the commission was building on previous preparations to deliver a credible election in 2027.

Amupitan said INEC’s preparations were progressing, adding that the commission was expanding its logistics to handle the large number of personnel required for the nationwide exercise.

“I am pleased to report that our preparations for the 2027 elections are progressing with absolute precision. We are scaling our operational logistics to manage a massive nationwide ad hoc workforce of 1.4 million personnel across over 176,000 polling units,” he said.

Continue Reading

News

Terrorists kill two in Plateau

info

Published

on

By

IMG 1875.jpeg

Terrorists on Monday attacked Dyan community in Rim village, and two persons were shot dead. The attack occurred in Riyom council area of Plateau.

A statement on Tuesday by Rwang Tengwong, the spokesperson for Berom Youth Moulders-Association, said the residents were shot at about 7:30 p.m. while at their home.

“The victims, Toma Davou, 27, and Jeremiah Benjamin, 28, were fatally shot at about 7:30 p.m. on Monday while seated in front of their homes,” he said.

He stated that the victims were married and fathers of two children each, leaving behind young widows and four children whose lives have been abruptly thrown into uncertainty.

Terrorists killed 23 people, including women and children, in Bin-Per community in Kombun area of Mangu.

The group said it was disturbed by reports that large numbers of herders came to graze around the Dyan community earlier that day, before the attack occurred later the same day.

“This recurring pattern reinforces concerns that grazing activities are being used as a cover to scout vulnerable communities and facilitate attacks,” he noted.

The group further commended the State Security Service personnel stationed between Dyan and Gako communities for their prompt response, which helped avert further casualties.

He added, “Their intervention demonstrates the importance of maintaining adequate and responsive security personnel within vulnerable communities.

Alfred Alabo, the spokesperson for the police in Plateau, could not be immediately reached for comments.

Two persons were set ablaze by the terrorists during an attack on four communities within the Berom area of the state.

Continue Reading

Trending