Connect with us

News

Killings, kidnappings damning indictment of leadership failure under Tinubu: Obi

info

Published

on

Advad.png

A former presidential candidate, Peter Obi, has condemned the ongoing killings across the country, describing the situation as a damning indictment of President Bola Tinubu’s failure to protect Nigerians. 

“What we have witnessed across our country in just the past 48 hours is not only tragic, it is utterly unacceptable and a damning indictment of our collective failure of leadership,” said Mr Obi in a statement on Tuesday.

The politician’s statement came hours after terrorists killed 19 residents in Gombi LGA of Adamawa State. Terrorists also killed and kidnapped several people in Katsina, Kaduna, Kogi, Plateau and other states.

Mr Obi, who decried the killings, accused Mr Tinubu of neglecting his constitutional responsibility of protecting lives and property.

“Nigeria is bleeding. We are fast becoming a nation where human life is treated as expendable, where citizens live in fear, and where the basic duty of government, to protect lives and property, is repeatedly neglected,” he stated.

The politician also condemned what he described as the normalisation of tragedy under and urged the government to take urgent action to safeguard Nigerians. 

“This cannot continue. A nation cannot develop under the weight of such persistent insecurity and human tragedy. The normalisation of these horrors is itself a crisis. 

“We must ask, with all sense of urgency and responsibility: where is the leadership? Where is the coordination, the competence, and the compassion required to confront this menace decisively?” Mr Obi said.

Meanwhile, Amnesty International, in a statement on Tuesday, said the persistent violence in the country underscored the need for stronger measures to protect civilians, adding that authorities must ensure justice and reparations for victims and their families.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Gowon Reveals How His Trusted Security Aide Helped Overthrow Him in Military Coup

info

Published

on

By

IMG 5948.jpeg

Former Head of State, Gen. Yakubu Gowon (retd), has revealed that his trusted security aide, Joseph Garba, Commander of the Federal Guards Unit he appointed to protect his life, played a role in the coup that overthrew him in July 1975.

In his 859-page autobiography titled “My Life of Duty and Allegiance,” Gowon described the incident as the most painful personal betrayal of his time in office, saying it was carried out by individuals he had promoted based on trust and, in Garba’s case, family connections.

According to him, Garba had assured him just days before the coup that he had no knowledge of any plot against his government.

He also recounted that his Chief Security Officer and head of the Special Branch, M.D. Yusuf, had earlier warned him about a planned coup ahead of the OAU summit in Kampala, Uganda, naming two key officers, Garba, then Commander of the Federal Guards Unit, and Anthony Ochefu, then Provost Marshal of the Nigerian Military Police.

Gowon said the warning left him in a difficult position, noting that Garba occupied one of the most sensitive roles in his security structure, heading the elite unit responsible for the Head of State’s protection.

He added that Garba’s appointment as head of the Brigade of Guards was influenced by personal familiarity and the confidence he had in him.

“As commander of the Federal Guards, which is the elite entrusted with the responsibility of protecting the person of the Head of State, Garba was supposed to have unquestionable loyalty.

“Not only did I intimately know both men, but I had also grown to like and trust them over the years.

“Coincidentally, both were Christians and from my original home state, Benue Plateau,” he narrated.

The book, which spans 36 chapters, traces Gowon’s life from his Angas roots in Plateau State through his military career, the Civil War, his removal from office in 1975, as well as his years in exile and academic pursuit abroad.

Continue Reading

Business

Otedola to invest $100 million in Dangote Petroleum Refinery through private placement

info

Published

on

By

Admin ajax 1 1.jpg

Femi Otedola, the chairman and biggest shareholder of financial services group First HoldCo Plc, hopes to invest $100 million in the proposed private placement of Dangote Petroleum Refinery.

The billionaire tycoon made this known to journalists during a tour by the management team of First HoldCo to the refinery in Lagos on Wednesday.

“On a personal note, I have approved him. I’ve been here with him 25 times, so my compensation is that he’s going to allocate to me shares valued at $100 million in the private placement. That was one of the reasons I sold my shares in Geregu Power Plants — to invest in the IPO of Dangote Refinery,” Mr Otedola said of Aliko Dangote, Africa’s richest man and owner of the refinery.

Dangote Petroleum Refinery, Africa’s largest oil refinery, is raising $2 billion through a private placement targeting institutional investors and high-net-worth individuals.

READ ALSO: Billionaire, Femi Otedola, among writers shortlisted for BCA African Business Book 2026

A similar plan to source $5 billion through an initial public offering, equivalent to 10 per cent of its valuation, is also in the works. According to a Bloomberg report this month, the refinery is targeting a valuation of around $50 billion ahead of the planned share sales.

PT WHATSAPP CHANNEL

Mr Otedola noted that he hopes to invest part of the proceeds from the divestment of his shareholding in Geregu Power, an electricity generation company he took public in October 2022, in the private placement.

He sold his stake in the power company last December in a $750 million transaction.

The refinery is looking to list the shares from the planned offers across multiple stock exchanges through cross-border listings, opening them to investors in different markets.


Continue Reading

Trending