Connect with us

News

Fact-Finding Committee Visits Barkin Ladi, Mahanga; Hears Testimonies from Survivors, Community Leaders

editor

Published

on

Screenshot 20250702

The Plateau State Fact-Finding Committee has reaffirmed its commitment to fostering sustainable peace in crisis-ridden communities across the state, expressing optimism that ongoing engagements with stakeholders will yield meaningful solutions to the longstanding violence.

During a recent assessment visit to Barkin Ladi Local Government Area, the committee — constituted by Governor Caleb Manasseh Mutfwang to investigate the causes of violent conflicts in Plateau from 2001 to date — met with local leaders, youth representatives, religious bodies, and security agencies in a closed-door consultation facilitated by the Plateau Peace Building Agency (PPBA).

Addressing participants, the Chairman of the Committee, Major General Nicholas Rogers (Rtd), emphasized the committee’s intention to listen to affected communities and gather firsthand insights on the root causes of the violence.

“We are here to hear directly from you,” Rogers said. “Our goal is to understand why the conflict has persisted for so long and what fuels it, so we can recommend sustainable solutions. Peace is everyone’s desire — Berom, Fulani, Hausa — and we are here to support that goal.”

In his remarks, Hon. Pwajok Stephen Gyang, Chairman of Barkin Ladi LGA, commended the state government for constituting the committee and described community policing as a critical strategy for curbing insecurity at the grassroots.

“This committee gives us hope,” he said. “Despite some recent killings — like the one in Yindi-Akwati where a man was gunned down while stepping out at night — we are experiencing relative peace. I believe your work will help consolidate that.”

As part of their visit, the committee toured communities including Kakun, Lahuru, Ropp, Lobiring, Libiring, and Gashish in Barkin Ladi, as well as Barkin Ladi town in Riyom LGA, where they assessed the extent of destruction and heard testimonies from residents.

Sunday Joshua, a resident of Kakun-Gashish, spoke emotionally at the site of a mass grave where over 60 people were buried following the 2012 massacre.

“Seeing this committee here has restored some of my confidence,” he said. “Many of our villages remain displaced, but we are hopeful that government will facilitate our return. It’s good they came to see it themselves.”

He also narrated a more recent attack in March 2025, in which three people were killed in broad daylight over a grazing dispute.

In Lobiring, the community chairman recounted the events of May 19, 2015, when five villages — Lobiring, John, Robuk, Zim, and Lohala — were attacked simultaneously, leading to 21 deaths and the destruction of the palace of the Da Gwom Rwey of Barkin Ladi.

“The palace was completely burnt down,” he said. “Security personnel were present, but they couldn’t stop the attack. Now the district head is a refugee in Barkin Ladi. We need security and support to rebuild.”

Committee Meets with Fulani Community in Mahanga, Riyom LGA

The committee also visited Mahanga in Riyom Local Government Area, where it held a long-awaited dialogue with Fulani stakeholders, including the Ardo of Riyom, Mallam Mahmud Adam; JNI Chairman Alhaji Merto Albarka; MACBAN Chairman Alhaji Bello Adamu; and community members.

The engagement marked a significant milestone, as Fulani representatives were previously absent during the committee’s initial visit to Riyom due to deep-seated tensions between the Fulani and Berom communities.

Speaking during the meeting, Abdullah Yusuf, Secretary to the Ardo, outlined the community’s grievances, emphasizing their desire for peace.

“We’re not at war with anyone,” he said. “But our cows and herders are often attacked with no compensation. We also lack basic government amenities — no roads, no schools, no hospitals, no water. All we want is to be seen and treated fairly.”

He also addressed allegations that Mahanga is a haven for terrorists:

“You’re here — did you see any terrorists? We trade, we pray, and we live quietly. Being constantly labeled as terrorists hurts deeply.”

The Fulani leaders also raised concerns about community name changes, land dispossession, and a lack of political will to engage them meaningfully.

“Mahanga was once called Rankum, just like Rim was previously Makafu. We’re not the only ones accused of changing names,” one of the leaders said. “Our biggest concern now is whether your recommendations will be implemented.”

The Ardo reiterated the community’s readiness for peaceful coexistence, but warned against forced peace efforts.

“You can’t claim to want peace while using guns and force. That won’t work,” he said.

Committee Chairman Responds

In response, General Rogers acknowledged the sensitive perceptions associated with Mahanga and assured the community that their voices had been heard.

“We came here to understand, not to accuse. The absence of government infrastructure and the issue of herder killings are critical concerns. But we urge restraint — do not take laws into your hands. Report incidents to authorities.”

“This has been a productive discussion. We will build on it and present recommendations that aim to ensure everyone in Plateau lives in peace.”

The Plateau State Fact-Finding Committee continues its assessment tour across the state, engaging communities across ethnic and religious divides in a bid to chart a new path toward healing and reconciliation.

      

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Battle to stop Tinubu is battle of no retreat, no surrender – Melaye

info

Published

on

By

Melaye.jpeg

Senator Dino Melaye, a chieftain of the African Democratic Congress (ADC) in Kogi State, has criticised President Bola Tinubu’s decision to serve as chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Presidential Campaign Council for the 2027 election.

Melaye insisted that the campaign to prevent Tinubu’s re-election must continue with renewed determination despite his many strategies.

He spoke in a video posted on his official X account on Sunday, questioning the decision to have Tinubu serve as both the APC presidential candidate and chairman of his campaign council.

“This is the first time in the history of the universe and the entire world that a presidential candidate of a political party will double as the chairman of the presidential campaign council for his own election,” Melaye said.

He described the arrangement as “disgraceful”, alleging that it showed a lack of confidence within the ruling party.

“It shows they are jittery. It shows they are afraid,” he said.

Melaye also criticised the size and structure of the campaign council, describing it as “very, very, very bogus” and alleging that some committees and positions had been duplicated.

The ADC chieftain further questioned the reported appointment of Zacch Adedeji, chairman of the Nigerian Revenue Service (NRS), formerly the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS), to a fundraising position in Tinubu’s campaign council.

“The chairman of FIRS is the deputy director in charge of fundraising of presidential campaign of Tinubu,” Melaye alleged.

He argued that the appointment could create a conflict of interest because the NRS chairman is a public official responsible for revenue collection.

“Is there no conflict in this? As a lawyer, by the grace of God, on Monday I’m going to court. We have to test that,” he said.

Melaye said he would challenge the matter in court, arguing that public officials are expected to comply with the provisions of the Public Service Rules.

“If that is not conflict of interest, I don’t know what else it would be,” he said.

He vowed to continue opposing Tinubu’s re-election bid, declaring that “the battle to stop Tinubu is a battle of no retreat, no surrender.”

Melaye described the development as “a big shame” and “a disgrace” as political parties intensify preparations for the 2027 presidential election.

Continue Reading

News

Two years after launch, Walmart’s Flipkart is closing in on India’s quick-commerce leaders

info

Published

on

By

Flipkart minutes.jpg

Indian startups spent years getting consumers accustomed to having groceries and everyday goods delivered within minutes. Now Walmart-owned Flipkart is rapidly closing the gap with those quick-commerce pioneers, as global rival Amazon mounts its own push into instant delivery.

Flipkart Minutes, which debuted in August 2024 as the e-commerce giant’s foray into quick commerce, is now delivering 1.1 million to 1.2 million orders a day, up from about 390,000 to 400,000 in November, people familiar with the matter told TechCrunch. That puts the two-year-old service close to Swiggy’s Instamart, which is delivering about 1.4 million orders a day, according to a person familiar with its operations.

The gap is notable as Flipkart is a relative latecomer to a market whose top ranks have been dominated by Instamart, Blinkit, and Zepto. Food-delivery giant Swiggy launched Instamart in 2020 and Zepto arrived the following year, both during the pandemic, while Blinkit traces its roots to online grocery platform Grofers, founded in 2013. The three have since established themselves as India’s top quick-commerce players.

Blinkit continues to dominate the market with around 3.4 million to 3.6 million daily orders, followed by Zepto at about 2.4 million to 2.6 million, per recent estimates from market research firm Datum Intelligence. Flipkart is now rapidly narrowing the gap with Instamart, the smallest of the three established leaders by order volume.

Instamart still has substantial scale. Earlier this month, Swiggy said the quick commerce service has more than 14 million monthly transacting users and operates over 1,200 dark stores across over 130 cities. The company has also been narrowing Instamart’s contribution-margin losses, with more than 45% of its dark-store network now contribution-margin positive.

Nonetheless, Flipkart has fueled that growth with an aggressive expansion of its delivery infrastructure. Minutes now operates about 1,020 to 1,050 micro-fulfillment centers — essentially small warehouses located close to customers specially to handle quick deliveries — up from 600 in January and about 340 a year ago, one of the sources told TechCrunch. The company is adding around 100 such facilities a month, the source said, aiming to have 1,500 by the end of 2026.

Flipkart’s advantage goes beyond adding dark stores. The company can tap an enormous pool of existing e-commerce customers it has already spent years and billions of dollars acquiring, giving Minutes a ready audience for faster deliveries, Satish Meena, an adviser at Datum Intelligence, told TechCrunch.

“Flipkart is already a serious player,” Meena said. “Once you open 1,000 dark stores and [are] doing a million orders per day, it’s serious enough.”

Minutes is also seeing customers return and shop more frequently. About 65% to 70% of customers making purchases on the service each month are repeat buyers, while transactions per customer have increased 50% to 60% from a year earlier, people familiar with the matter said.

Those customers are spending an average of about ₹400 to ₹500 (about $4.20–$5.20) per order, with fruits and vegetables, staples, dairy, and meat among the fast-growing categories, the sources said. Flipkart is also expanding its selection of higher-end gourmet products, including organic and artisanal items, as it looks to capture more of customers’ spending on Minutes.

Even as Minutes has expanded, its average delivery time has fallen to about 11 minutes, from 13 minutes a year ago, one of the sources told TechCrunch.

A battle for India’s shoppers

Flipkart’s growth comes as quick commerce takes a bigger role in how Indians shop online, even as broader consumer demand has shown signs of weakness. In a recent report, Bernstein analysts said while the country’s consumption growth softened in July, a shift toward quick commerce and e-commerce continued, with quick-commerce platforms recording healthy growth in monthly active users.

Similar to Flipkart, Amazon is striving to gain its share in the Indian quick-commerce market. The Seattle-based company has been expanding Amazon Now, its quick-commerce service, as it seeks to bring the instant-delivery model to its existing e-commerce customer base.

During CEO Andy Jassy’s visit to India in June, Amazon stated that Now became its fastest-growing business in India, with orders doubling every quarter since launch. The company also laid out plans to take the service to more than 300 cities and set up a network of more than 1,000 micro-fulfilment centers, alongside larger facilities aimed at expanding the range of products it can deliver within minutes.

Amazon, Flipkart, Swiggy, Zepto, and Blinkit parent Eternal did not respond to requests for comment.

The quick commerce expansion is increasingly defensive as well as offensive for both Flipkart and Amazon, Meena told TechCrunch. As consumers grow accustomed to receiving certain purchases almost immediately, the e-commerce giants risk losing those transactions to specialist quick-commerce platforms if they cannot offer comparable speed.

“Can you go back to scheduled delivery now in grocery? No,” Meena said. “You will not go back.”

When you purchase through links in our articles, we may earn a small commission. This doesn’t affect our editorial independence.

Continue Reading

Trending