Connect with us

News

We are not responsible for attacks in Plateau communities – Fulani group insists

info

Published

on

Plateau State 1280x720.jpg

The Gan Allah Fulani Development Association, GAFDAN, in Bokkos Local Government Area of Plateau State has insisted that Fulani herdsmen should not be held responsible for the deadly attack on Mbwelle village in Kwatas district of the council where over 20 people were killed including eight members of one family.

While there have been accusations and speculations that the perpetrators of the attack were members of a Fulani militia gang, the GAFDAN body has come out to exonerate its members, saying the attack was not carried out by them as there is no evidence pointing towards that to substantiate the allegations.

In a statement issued on Saturday by the Bokkos Chairman of GAFDAN, Saleh Adamu, the group stated that it had, over the years, educated its members on the need to live peacefully with their host communities and resist any attempt to be drawn into conflicts, no matter the provocation.

While condemning the attack which he said was unfortunate and unwarranted, Adamu wondered why Fulani people should be accused when no one could prove with certainty that the attackers were Fulanis.

“I was surprised to hear about the attack, especially as the community had been enjoying relative peace. There had been no incidents to justify this,” Adamu said in the statement.

“But the allegations now are that the attackers were Fulani people and I wonder how they quickly arrived at such a conclusion even when there is no evidence to back it up.

“I will categorically say here that our people are not responsible for the attack in Mbwelle and in other parts of Plateau State.

“We have been holding meetings, and peace was gradually returning. This development is both unfortunate and condemnable.

“We do not yet know those responsible. We urge security agencies to investigate and bring the perpetrators to justice,” Adamu insisted.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

2027: Presidential, Governorship, NASS Candidates, Sign Peace Accord In Abuja

info

Published

on

By

IMG 20260819 WA0019.jpg

 

By Emmanuel Oloniruha
Presidential candidates and leadership of political parties contesting the 2027 general elections had on Tuesday in Abuja signed a Peace Accord .

They all committed to peaceful, issue-based campaigns and the non-involvement in electoral violence before, during and after the 2027 polls.

Some of the presidential candidates that signed were President Bola Tinubu of the All Progressives Congress, represented by Secretary to the Government of the Federation, George Akume; Peter Obi of Nigeria Democratic Congress and Adewale Adebayo of Social Democratic Party.

Others were candidates for the governorship and National Assembly.

The peace agreement, organised by the National Peace Committee (NPC) under the chairmanship of former Head of State, Gen. Abdulsalami Abubakar (rtd.), aims to foster social cohesion, minimise political friction and ensure that democratic choices reflected the will of the people.

In his remarks, Abubakar tasked political parties, candidates, campaign councils, and their spokespersons to campaign based on issues of significant concerns to Nigerians.

Abubakar represented by a member of the NPC, Martin Agwai, noted that since 2015, the committee had facilitated 30 peace accords, five at the national level before 2015, 2019, and 2023 general elections.

He added that the committee also organised 25 peace accords at the sub-national levels, including state off-cycle elections.

Abubakar noted that the issues-based peace accord established in 2019 was to promote political campaigns and rallies based on issues related to Nigeria rather than sentiment.

He noted that over the years, political campaigns and rallies had neglected the significance of party manifestos and programmes, and created a platform for political parties to resort to name-calling, personal insults and character assassination.

He added that political campaigns had taken away dignity and decency in public discourse and conversation, creating a toxic atmosphere that had the potential to incite citizens against the state, against other political parties and candidates.

“Now that the 2027 general election is five months away and the official commencement of campaign is tomorrow, the NPC is today committing all political parties, party chairmen, candidates and campaign spokespersons to peaceful political rallies, devoid of incitement, personal insults and abuse.

“Therefore, on behalf of all members of the NPC and all Nigerians, I am appealing to all political parties, party chairmen, candidates, campaign councils and their spokespersons to please campaign based on issues that are of significant concerns to Nigerians.

“Avoid the spread of false and fake news, personal attacks and insults. Promote respect and tolerance for differences of opinion, ensure decency and civility in public discourse and comply with the spirit and the letter of the accord,” he said.

The Programme Officer, Kukah Ccntre, Asabe Ndahi, presenting “the National contest of emerging issues” said that evidence from previous electoral cycles showed that the biggest breach of the Peace Accord was with Clause 1, where parties committed themselves to conduct issue-based campaigns.

Ndahi said that result showed that there was 43 per cent breach of that particular clause, while the clause provides for refraining from insults and violence was also breached.

“Also the clause that provides that there will be no fake news or some disinformation was also breached up to 90 per cent.

“All the other clauses of the Accord were equally breached, but not in equal percentage,” she said.

Asabe also added that the clause regarding conduct of issue-based campaigns was also violated, adding that 58 per cent of those violations were from spokespersons.

“The number of states that were affected out of the 36 were 32 states. The most affected states were Kaduna, Plateau, Kano, Lagos, Rivers, and Benue,” she said.

Ndahi urged stakeholders especially candidates and their supporters to allow peaceful campaigns and elections as campaigns commence on Wednesday.

“We recommend that political parties and candidates in favour of this campaign conduct peaceful, issue-based campaigns, debate policies and ideas based on political parties’ opinions.

“For campaign teams and supporters, we expect you to mobilise responsibly and do not cause any violence or intimidation in the process of mobilisation.

“As for the party and candidate spokesperson, we expect a lot from you because this is where most of the issue starts.

“We expect responsible messaging, timely verified information and avoid inflammatory or inciting statements.

“As for the media and Civil society organisations, verify information before amplifying and conduct evidence-based advocacy.

She also tasked security agencies and INEC on neutrality, impartiality, transparency and consistent in enforcement of laws, while also urging Nigerians on peaceful conduct.(NAN)(www.nannews.ng)

 

Edited by Francis Onyeukwu

Continue Reading

Health

HMO Controversy: What Nigerians, hospitals need to know about health insurance

info

Published

on

By

Pelumi Akinboade Senior Executive Officer and Insurance Nurse 1.jpg

MTN ADVERT

A viral social media post about the use of Health Maintenance Organisations (HMOs) has sparked controversy among Nigerians and healthcare professionals over health insurance.

The post, made on X on 2 August by user @106_36_52, who identifies as a medical doctor on the platform, criticised a family who, according to him, visited a hospital after church for medical checks under their HMO plan.

“I give the federal government 24 hours to ban this thing called HMO in Nigeria. Full family, straight from church with matching Ankara. Third set only today. God abeg,” he wrote.

The post had generated more than 1.9 million views as of 12 August and was subsequently shared by blogs, attracting reactions from Nigerians and healthcare professionals.

While some Nigerians questioned why healthcare providers should be concerned about how frequently insured patients use their health plans, others argued that the reactions failed to recognise the financial and administrative pressures faced by healthcare providers and HMOs.

PT WHATSAPP CHANNEL

In this explainer, PREMIUM TIMES examines how health insurance works in Nigeria, the responsibilities of patients, healthcare providers and HMOs, and what the law says about their obligations.

How health insurance works

One of the biggest misconceptions exposed by the debate is the idea that an HMO patient is receiving free treatment.

The patient may not pay the hospital at the point of service, but that does not mean the service is free or that the provider is working for free.

Health insurance is built around pooling financial contributions to pay for healthcare when members need it. The National Health Insurance Authority (NHIA) describes social health insurance as a system in which contributions are pooled to provide a defined package of healthcare services.

Pelumi Akinboade, a senior executive officer and insurance nurse, explained that HMOs perform important administrative functions within this arrangement, including enrolment, claims management, authorisation, quality assurance and coordination between enrollees and healthcare providers.

He said providers are paid through arrangements such as capitation and fee-for-service, depending on the level and nature of care.

“Patients may not bear the bulk of their care costs out of pocket, as their respective insurance companies pay their healthcare providers directly through capitation and fee-for-service,” Mr Akinboade told PREMIUM TIMES.

A patient using an insurance plan is not asking a doctor to treat them for free. They are accessing a service that is supposed to be financed through an insurance arrangement.

Doctors’ frustration

The viral post, however, also highlights another side of the system. It is easy to dismiss a doctor’s complaint as hostility towards HMO patients.

Healthcare providers depend on HMOs to pay for services they have already provided, and problems with payments or authorisations can affect how facilities deliver care.

Mr Akinboade identified delayed payments, administrative bottlenecks, limited coverage, and disputes between providers and HMOs as factors that can contribute to delays or denials of care.

The NHIA Act 2022 specifically provides penalties for failure to remit payments to healthcare providers within the stipulated period and for failure to settle fee-for-service and other claims within the required timeframe.

The federal government has also acknowledged pressure on provider financing. In announcing revised payment rates under the national health insurance scheme, the NHIA said capitation fees had increased by more than 90 per cent, while fee-for-service payments had risen by 378 per cent.

The Coordinating Minister of Health and Social Welfare, Muhammad Pate, said the adjustment was intended to reduce the financial burden on healthcare providers and improve services for enrollees.

So while a patient’s use of their insurance should not automatically be blamed for a provider’s frustration, neither can the financial concerns of healthcare facilities be dismissed.

The law, dispute

Section 47 of the NHIA Act 2022 provides that disputes among parties under the Act should first be referred to the Authority for mediation and conciliation. The Act specifically identifies HMOs, healthcare providers, contributors, and the Authority as parties that may be involved in such disputes.

Section 48 makes it an offence to fail to remit payments to healthcare providers within the period specified in the operational guidelines, fail to settle fee-for-service or other provider claims within the stipulated period, or fail to provide care to a duly registered enrollee.

These provisions suggest that the law itself recognises the possibility of disputes over payments, claims and access to care within the health insurance system. This means the tension playing out online between patients, healthcare providers and HMOs is not simply a question of patients “overusing” their insurance.

It also raises questions about whether the obligations imposed on each party are being fulfilled.

In other words, while enrollees are expected to understand the terms of their health plans and follow the applicable procedures, healthcare providers and HMOs also have obligations under the regulatory framework governing health insurance in Nigeria.

Insured patients still have rights.

Mr Akinboade said healthcare providers must recognise this distinction. Hospitals, he said, should have trained personnel who understand health insurance and can properly guide patients through the process.

He rejected the idea that insured patients should receive a lower standard of care because they are not paying directly at the point of treatment.

“Insurance patients are not secondary patients. They own the right to quality healthcare services,” he said.

That position is consistent with the NHIA’s own statement of enrollee rights. The Authority says Nigerians covered under its programmes have the right to easy access to quality healthcare without hindrance and to be treated with respect and dignity.

The distinction is particularly important in Nigeria, where health insurance coverage remains low, and households continue to shoulder a large share of healthcare costs.

A 2025 Nigeria Health Systems and Services Profile published through the African Health Observatory Platform, with World Health Organisation (WHO) involvement, reported that out-of-pocket spending accounted for more than 75 per cent of total health expenditure and estimated that only about five per cent of Nigerians were covered by health insurance, prepayment or other risk-pooling mechanisms.

In such a system, health insurance is intended to protect households from the financial consequences of illness.

Patients also have responsibilities.

Mr Akinboade said patients also need to understand the health insurance package they have enrolled in.

Different plans have different benefits, exclusions and limitations. Enrollees therefore need to understand the services covered by their plans, the facilities available to them and the procedures for referrals and authorisations.

Patients should also know how to report problems when care is delayed or denied. Mr Akinboade advised enrollees to keep the contact details of their HMO’s customer service or quality assurance unit and escalate complaints when necessary.

Health insurance, therefore, is not simply a card presented at a hospital. It is an arrangement that creates responsibilities for patients, healthcare providers and HMOs.

What needs to change

Improving the system will require action from all sides, Mr Akinboade said.

He added that HMOs need to process claims and pay healthcare providers promptly while ensuring that referrals and authorisations do not create unnecessary barriers to care.

Healthcare providers need trained insurance desk officers who understand the terms of different plans and can communicate them clearly to patients.

Regulators also need to enforce existing rules and impose consequences where organisations fail to meet their obligations.

Meanwhile, patients need to understand their benefits, exclusions and responsibilities and use available complaint mechanisms when they encounter problems.

The NHIA Act provides a framework for resolving disputes between HMOs, healthcare providers, contributors and the Authority, including mediation and conciliation.


Discover more from Premium Times Nigeria

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Continue Reading

Trending