Connect with us

News

Qualcomm wants to be the chip inside whatever replaces your smartphone, and it just announced two products toward that end

info

Published

on

Qualcomm layoff san diego.jpg

Qualcomm CEO Cristiano Amon said Tuesday that the company is working on over 40 different AI wearable devices — including jewelry, earbuds with cameras, pins, and watches — a sign of how aggressively the chipmaker is betting that the next major computing platform won’t be a phone at all.

To power that vision, Qualcomm is announcing two new offerings: a platform called Snapdragon Reality Elite for mixed reality glasses, designed to run more powerful on-device AI, and the Scalable Turnkey AI-Ready Toolkit (START), a combination of hardware modules and a software stack for AI devices, starting with smart glasses.

Compared to its previous XR platform, the new Snapdragon Reality Elite delivers improvements of up to 60% in GPU performance, up to 30% in CPU performance, and up to 160% in NPU performance, according to the company. Percentage gains in chip specs can be hard to contextualize, but Qualcomm offers one concrete data point, saying the platform can run a 3-billion-parameter language model at 45 tokens per second — fast enough for quick, responsive AI interactions. Qualcomm says the chip will also enable better head and hand tracking, along with improved see-through capabilities.

The Snapdragon Reality Elite supports 4.4K per-eye resolution at 90 fps, a modest bump from the XR2+ Gen 2’s 4.3K per-eye resolution. (The higher the per-eye resolution and frame rate, the sharper and smoother the visual experience, which matters most for reducing the motion sickness and eye strain that’ve historically made extended headset use uncomfortable.)

Qualcomm says the platform is designed to power two types of devices: standalone video-see-through (VST) headsets, which layer digital content over a camera feed of the real world, and lightweight, tethered optical-see-through (OST) glasses, which blend digital imagery directly into your field of view. Among the first devices to use it: XREAL Project Aura, shown at Google I/O earlier this year, and an upcoming device from Play for Dream.

START, meanwhile, consists of an AR chip, a software platform, companion apps, and a white-label program aimed at helping hardware makers get to market faster. Through the white label program, the company is offering three reference designs: an audio + camera setup similar to Meta’s Ray-Ban smart glasses, a monocular display, and a binocular display.

Eyewear manufacturers Inspecs and O’Neill — owned by TitanFlex — will be among the first partners in the white label program. Qualcomm said START will expand beyond smart glasses to support other form factors in the future.

Amon’s comments, made to CNBC, flesh out the strategic logic behind both announcements. He argued that as companies seek to gather more real-world data from users to power their AI agents, a new wave of hardware startups building novel form factors will emerge, with major implications for established smartphone players like Apple and Samsung.

“I think there’s going to be a lot of experimentation with different form factors,” Amon said. “Right now, we have over 40 designs of those devices, and I’m telling you, the types of form factors are very, very broad.” He added that, “The principle is something that you wear, something [that] is with you all the time, something that can see the world around you, so you have context and have the ability for you to access an agent and talk to the agent.”

To that end, Qualcomm is explicitly positioning itself as the foundational silicon layer for whatever comes after the smartphone. START’s white-label program, in particular, is designed to lower the barrier for new entrants.

When you purchase through links in our articles, we may earn a small commission. This doesn’t affect our editorial independence.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Osun election: APC candidate, Oyebamiji breaks silence after defeat

info

Published

on

By

Bola Oyebamiji.png

The All Progressives Congress, APC, candidate in the recently concluded Osun State governorship election, Bola Oyebamiji has broken his silence.

DAILY POST recalls that Oyebamiji lost to the incumbent governor, Ademola Adeleke.

📱 Continue reading on the Daily Post app →
Free • No sign-up • Read the full story in the app

Continue Reading

News

IGP Disu declares jungle justice murder, orders nationwide crackdown

info

Published

on

By

Disu.jpg

The Inspector-General of Police, Tunde Disu, has warned Nigerians against taking the law into their own hands, declaring that anyone who assaults or kills a suspect through mob action, popularly known as jungle justice, will face murder charges.

Speaking in a viral video, the IGP said mob justice can no longer be excused as community action, stressing that those involved in such acts risk the death penalty under Nigerian law.

“Anybody who assaults or summarily executes a suspected criminal in the name of mob action is guilty of murder. And the punishment for murder is death,” Disu stated.

The police chief also warned that those who incite, organise, film, circulate videos of mob attacks, or prevent police intervention could be prosecuted for conspiracy to commit murder, which carries a prison sentence of up to 14 years.

Disu revealed that he has directed Commissioners of Police across the 36 states and the FCT to treat every case of mob action as homicide and conduct full-scale investigations using available forensic and intelligence tools.

“We are not going to spare anybody who is involved in mob action. We will do a thorough investigation, and we will take them to court,” he said.

The inspector’s directive comes amid growing concerns over extrajudicial killings, including the recent death of 25-year-old University of Jos graduate Ibrahim Mbaya, who was allegedly beaten to death after being accused of stealing an iPhone 12.

The Nigeria Police urged citizens to report suspects to law enforcement agencies instead of resorting to violence.

Continue Reading

Trending