Connect with us

News

Gov Adeleke, Osun APC renew dispute over security after IGP’s fact-finding visit

info

Published

on

Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke and the All Progressives Congress, APC, have renewed their exchange over security and policing in the state.

The latest disagreement is coming after the recent fact-finding visit of the Inspector-General of Police, Olatunji Disu, to the state ahead of the August 15 governorship election.

In a statement issued on Monday by his spokesperson, Olawale Rasheed, Governor Adeleke, who said residents expected impartial policing before, during and after the election, urged the police to implement measures that would guarantee fairness and public confidence.

The governor commended the Inspector-General’s visit, saying it provided an opportunity for all political parties and community stakeholders to present their positions on the security situation in the state.

According to Adeleke, “the discussions during the visit should guide the immediate implementation of agreed measures aimed at ensuring non-partisan law enforcement across Osun State.

“We appreciate the visit of the Inspector General of Police and that of the Deputy Inspector General a week earlier. The facts are out in the public domain. The IGP has heard and read from both parties.”

Adeleke added that the Commissioner of Police in Osun should remain impartial in the investigation and prosecution of cases of political violence adding that such an approach was necessary to sustain public confidence in the police.

“We seek the arrest of any law breaker irrespective of their political affiliation. Those who commit crimes should be arrested and prosecuted. We harbour no thugs in Government House or anywhere,” he stated.

The governor also called on security agencies to provide a secure environment for voters, adding that killings and attacks were not conducive to the exercise of democratic rights. He pledged his administration’s continued support for security agencies while insisting that the government sought only fair, impartial policing.

Meanwhile, the Osun APC said the Inspector-General’s remarks during his visit supported its earlier allegation that individuals accused of criminal activities were being sheltered within the Osun Government House.

In a statement signed by the party’s Director of Media and Information, Kola Olabisi, the APC claimed that the Inspector-General had directed the Osun State Commissioner of Police, Ibrahim Gotan, to professionally address the allegation.

The opposition party alleged that, “any police action should extend beyond the Government House if investigations required it. Suspected political hoodlums had been shielded from arrest.”

The APC also criticised comments previously made by Osun State Commissioner for Information, Kolapo Alimi, describing his response to the Inspector-General’s remarks as “misplaced” and a mere afterthought.

The party accused the state government of politicising security matters and insisted that law enforcement agencies should thoroughly investigate all allegations relating to political violence in the state.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Osun election: APC candidate, Oyebamiji breaks silence after defeat

info

Published

on

By

Bola Oyebamiji.png

The All Progressives Congress, APC, candidate in the recently concluded Osun State governorship election, Bola Oyebamiji has broken his silence.

DAILY POST recalls that Oyebamiji lost to the incumbent governor, Ademola Adeleke.

📱 Continue reading on the Daily Post app →
Free • No sign-up • Read the full story in the app

Continue Reading

News

IGP Disu declares jungle justice murder, orders nationwide crackdown

info

Published

on

By

Disu.jpg

The Inspector-General of Police, Tunde Disu, has warned Nigerians against taking the law into their own hands, declaring that anyone who assaults or kills a suspect through mob action, popularly known as jungle justice, will face murder charges.

Speaking in a viral video, the IGP said mob justice can no longer be excused as community action, stressing that those involved in such acts risk the death penalty under Nigerian law.

“Anybody who assaults or summarily executes a suspected criminal in the name of mob action is guilty of murder. And the punishment for murder is death,” Disu stated.

The police chief also warned that those who incite, organise, film, circulate videos of mob attacks, or prevent police intervention could be prosecuted for conspiracy to commit murder, which carries a prison sentence of up to 14 years.

Disu revealed that he has directed Commissioners of Police across the 36 states and the FCT to treat every case of mob action as homicide and conduct full-scale investigations using available forensic and intelligence tools.

“We are not going to spare anybody who is involved in mob action. We will do a thorough investigation, and we will take them to court,” he said.

The inspector’s directive comes amid growing concerns over extrajudicial killings, including the recent death of 25-year-old University of Jos graduate Ibrahim Mbaya, who was allegedly beaten to death after being accused of stealing an iPhone 12.

The Nigeria Police urged citizens to report suspects to law enforcement agencies instead of resorting to violence.

Continue Reading

Trending