Connect with us

News

Families of Accident Victims Petition IGP Over Alleged Release of Drunk Driver in Jos

editor

Published

on

The Commissioner of Police in Plateau State, CP Emmanuel Olugbemiga Adesina

 

Three families in Plateau State have petitioned the Inspector General of Police (IGP), demanding justice after their relatives were hit by a drunk driver in the Rayfield area of Jos South Local Government Area, leaving two amputated and one paralyzed.

The victims — Isaac Dung, Nathan Bayei, and Chomo Dachung — were returning from watching the Arsenal vs. Manchester United match on August 17 when the driver lost control, crashed into a building, and inflicted severe injuries on them. They are currently receiving treatment at Potters Specialist Hospital in Jos.

A family spokesperson told DAILY POST on Tuesday that although the driver was initially arrested, he was later released to a surety, Mr. Bulus Damul, who had promised to cover medical expenses. However, out of an estimated N8 million hospital bill, only N2 million has reportedly been paid, after which the driver’s guardian allegedly withdrew support.

Jemimah Bayei, sister of one of the victims, said doctors had no choice but to amputate the legs of two of the young men due to the extent of the damage. She accused Damul of abandoning the victims despite an initial agreement that the driver’s family would bear full responsibility for medical expenses.

“Mr. Damul had earlier agreed to pay for the treatment, but he no longer responds to our calls. He doesn’t show concern for what his ward has done to these young men. To our shock, we also discovered that the driver has been released without our knowledge because they are very influential,” she alleged.

Another relative, Mrs. Bridget Pam, described the situation as unjust. “We have been left with medical expenses that we cannot afford. My brother has lost his leg completely. We are calling on authorities to intervene and compel the family to fulfill their obligations,” she said.

In response, Mr. Damul denied abandoning the victims, insisting he had visited them in the hospital with his family and pastor. He explained that while he initially agreed to cover 80 percent of the expenses, the victims’ families later presented a Memorandum of Understanding demanding he set aside N30 million for medical bills or pay N75 million if he defaulted.

“I have already paid N2 million, but when they brought that MOU, I refused because it was not part of the original agreement. I never said I would take them to court,” Damul stated.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

2027: ‘Learn from Davido, you can remove Tinubu’ – Timi Frank to Nigerian youths

info

Published

on

By

Timi Frank.jpg

Timi Frank, former Deputy National Publicity Secretary of the All Progressives Congress, APC, has said the re-election of Ademola Adeleke in Osun State showed that Nigerians, especially youths, can remove President Bola Ahmed Tinubu through the ballot in the 2027 general election.

He disclosed this in a statement on Monday.

📱 Continue reading on the Daily Post app →
Free • No sign-up • Read the full story in the app

Continue Reading

News

14 kidnap victims rescued in Kogi, Plateau operations: Army

info

Published

on

By

HPY4WlaW0AAD1 L e1786951335651.jpg

The Nigerian Army says 14 kidnap victims were rescued in separate operations in Kogi, while sustaining pressure on criminal elements across the country.

The army disclosed this in its latest operational update covering August 15 and 16, on Sunday. In Kogi, the troops of 21 Battalion rescued 13 victims abducted along the Alloma-Ejule Road in Ofu council area.

The troops had launched a search-and-rescue operation after the victims were kidnapped on Tuesday.

The operation covered the Emeweopada-Abocho axis in Dekina council area, where sustained military pressure forced the kidnappers to flee.

“The victims were subsequently released and taken to the palace of the Onu Abocho for further action. In another incident in Ofu, troops responding to a suspected kidnapping attack along the Ochadamu-Okabo Road rescued a pregnant woman abandoned by kidnappers.

“The troops had discovered that four civilians, including the pregnant woman, were abducted by the criminals. The kidnappers abandoned the woman and fled after sighting the advancing troops from a distance. The rescued woman was subsequently reunited with her family,” the report said.

In Plateau, troops of Operation ENDURING PEACE responded to a report of the kidnapping of two civilians at Nhantina Village in Bokkos council area.

One of the victims had gunshot wounds and was evacuated to Bokkos Cottage Hospital for medical attention, while troops continued pursuit of the abductors.

“Meanwhile, troops of Operation FANSAN YAMMA arrested another suspect linked to a notorious arms and explosives dealer in Zamfara. The development followed the Aug. 14 arrest of the arms dealer while transporting 180 units of 20mm Super Power explosives along the Kaura-Zurmi Road in Zurmi Local Government Area.

“Based on information obtained from the suspect, troops of 1 Military Intelligence Regiment arrested another suspect at the Gusau Central Motor Park on August 15,” the report said.

In Sokoto, troops responding to a terrorist attack at Jijira Village in Sabon Birni council area forced the attackers to flee into nearby bushes. According to the report, troops have begun efforts to track the fleeing terrorists, rescue the abducted persons and recover the rustled livestock.

“Troops also foiled an attack by suspected armed militias targeting Murish Community in Mangu Local Government Area. Troops responded to reports of sporadic shooting, forcing the suspected militias to withdraw from the area. They subsequently dominated the area to deny the criminal elements freedom of action,” it added.

The latest operations underscored the military’s continued focus on disrupting kidnapping, terrorism and other criminal activities while supporting efforts to restore peace in affected communities.

(NAN)



Continue Reading

Trending