Connect with us

News

Fact-Finding Committee Ends Statewide Security Assessment in Pankshin, Pledges Actionable Recommendations

editor

Published

on

Screenshot 20250729

The Plateau State High-Powered Fact-Finding Committee on Tuesday, July 29, 2025, concluded its statewide assessment of security challenges in the 17 local government areas with a final visit to Pankshin Local Government Area.

Chairman of the Pankshin LGA, Hon. Felix Amos Gonung, welcomed the committee alongside his deputy, council secretary, Divisional Police Officer (DPO), other security chiefs, and key council members.

Speaking during the visit, Committee Chairman, Maj. Gen. Nicholas Rogers (rtd), reaffirmed the committee’s commitment to gathering accurate, objective insights that would guide the state government’s actions in curbing violence. “We have heard of killings, cattle rustling, land grabbing, and illegal mining. These are serious issues. The governor, in his wisdom, asked for external perspectives to find out why these atrocities persist. Pankshin is special to the Plateau people, and that’s why we’re concluding the assessment here,” he said.

Committee Secretary, Barr. Baba Parlong, noted that as the only Plateau indigene on the panel, his presence signifies the governor’s intent for a neutral, unbiased outcome. “From the onset till today, I have seen the governor’s vision gradually taking form,” he stated.

In his remarks, Hon. Felix Gonung expressed appreciation for the governor’s initiative and praised the committee for its diligence. “This is a timely and intentional step by Governor Caleb Mutfwang to address insecurity. We in Pankshin may not be experiencing mass killings like other LGAs, but we are not immune to threats such as land disputes, cattle encroachment, and illegal mining,” he said.

The council chairman also commended the synergy between traditional rulers, security operatives, and the council in managing security threats. “We have deliberately intensified local efforts to keep Pankshin peaceful,” he added.

The DPO, while describing the area as relatively peaceful, identified growing concerns. “The migration of herders due to crises in other LGAs poses a serious threat. Though kidnapping has declined, land-related tensions and cattle invasion of farmlands remain challenges,” he said.

Deputy Chairman of the council also pointed to a recent anonymous letter threatening an attack in one community. “We mobilized security and traditional leadership to preemptively respond. This collaboration is what’s helping us maintain stability,” he noted, while also commending the strong partnership between the local vigilante and formal security structures.

Addressing the committee at his palace, the Ngolong Ngas and Chairman of the Pankshin-Kanke Traditional Council, HRH Nde Jika Golit, said the zone has remained largely peaceful, though not without isolated incidents. “We have only experienced minor issues like land disputes, chieftaincy clashes, and isolated kidnappings. We thank our security agencies and pray this peace continues,” he said.

While commending the committee’s efforts, he appealed for urgent intervention to stop the ongoing killings in other troubled LGAs. “Just last week, about 50 people were killed in Riyom. The government is trying, but it’s clear more needs to be done. We must stop this bloodshed before whole communities are wiped out,” the traditional ruler lamented.

The committee chairman, Maj. Gen. Rogers, in a closing remark, praised the resilience of Pankshin and Kanke communities. “Apart from some family-level farmland disputes, this place remains calm. We’ve gathered facts that will guide the government in restoring Plateau’s peace and dignity,” he said.

Hon. Gonung echoed similar optimism. “This visit is a blessing. The presence of people who have served the nation and are still contributing even in retirement is inspiring. We believe your prayers and recommendations will usher in a new era of peace,” he said.

With the conclusion of the local government tour, the committee is expected to begin deliberations and present its findings and recommendations to the Plateau State Government. Citizens across the state await the outcome with great anticipation, hoping for decisive action that will halt the cycle of violence and restore Plateau’s reputation as the “Home of Peace and Tourism.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

NIGERIA HAS LOST ITS WOMEN’S FOOTBALL ADVANTAGE — AND AFRICA IS CATCHING UP FAST

info

Published

on

By

IMG 20260814 WA0000.jpg

For more than three decades, Nigeria’s Super Falcons were the standard of African women’s football.

Ten Women’s Africa Cup of Nations titles. Every FIFA Women’s World Cup from the beginning of the competition. Generations of players who dominated the continent.

Read Also: 14th Women AFCON: Swart’s heroics foil Super Falcons’ search for World Cup ticket

But that era has now reached a disturbing turning point.

For the first time in the history of the FIFA Women’s World Cup, Nigeria will not be at the tournament.

South Africa’s 2–1 victory over the Super Falcons in Casablanca on Thursday ended Nigeria’s final route to the 2027 World Cup.

But perhaps this should not be viewed simply as a failure of the Super Falcons.

Perhaps it is the clearest evidence yet that the rest of Africa has finally caught up.

Look at Malawi.

The Scorchers were appearing at the WAFCON for the first time in 2026. They did not come merely to make up the numbers. They reached the semi-finals and secured Malawi’s historic first-ever Women’s World Cup qualification.

Look at Morocco.

The country has invested heavily in women’s football, and AS FAR has become a continental force, winning the CAF Women’s Champions League in 2025 and earning the right to represent Africa at FIFA’s inaugural Women’s Champions Cup.

Look at South Africa.

Banyana Banyana have transformed themselves from challengers into African champions and have now defeated Nigeria when a World Cup place was on the line.

And across the continent, CAF says women’s football is being strengthened through coaching education, better administration, grassroots development, refereeing and more structured domestic leagues.

This is the part Nigerians must understand.

Africa did not wait for Nigeria to remain dominant.

Other countries started building.

For years, Nigeria had an enormous advantage because many of our best players grew up playing together for long periods, particularly through the domestic system and national-team pathways.

The Super Falcons of previous generations were not simply eleven talented Nigerians assembled for a tournament.

They were products of a football culture that continuously produced players.

Today, that advantage is much smaller.

And there is another uncomfortable reality: Nigerian players are increasingly finding opportunities in women’s leagues outside Nigeria, while African leagues are becoming more organised and competitive.

CAF’s Women’s Champions League has also created a continental platform with meaningful financial rewards; participating clubs received at least $150,000 in the 2024 edition, while the winners received $600,000.

So perhaps the question is no longer:

“Why did the Super Falcons fail?”

The bigger question is:

“Why did Nigeria stop developing faster than the countries chasing us?”

We should support the Falcons.

We should respect the players.

We should recognise their achievements.

But we must also recognise what this moment represents.

Nigeria has won ten WAFCON titles. That history is extraordinary.

But history cannot qualify a team for the next World Cup.

Systems do.

Leagues do.

Academies do.

Coaching structures do.

Investment does.

Player development does.

And if Nigeria does not rebuild those foundations, the Super Falcons’ absence from Brazil may not remain a once-in-history event.

THE SUPER FALCONS HAVE NOT SUDDENLY BECOME A BAD TEAM. AFRICA HAS SIMPLY STOPPED WAITING FOR NIGERIA.

The real alarm is not that Nigeria lost to South Africa.

The real alarm is that the countries Nigeria used to look down on are now building football systems capable of defeating Nigeria when it matters most.

This should not be a blame game.

It should be a wake-up call.

NIGERIA DID NOT LOSE WOMEN’S FOOTBALL IN ONE MATCH. WE MAY HAVE BEEN LOSING THE ADVANTAGE FOR YEARS.

Continue Reading

Business

Sovereign Trust, Guinea Insurance, 5 Others Join Verified List in Final Recapitalization Clearance

info

Published

on

By

BY NKECHI NAECHE-ESEZOBOR—Sovereign Trust Insurance Plc and Guinea Insurance Plc are among seven additional underwriting firms officially cleared and verified by the National Insurance Commission (NAICOM) as compliant with the Minimum Capital Requirements stipulated under the Nigerian Insurance Industry Reform Act (NIIRA) 2025.

This final batch of approvals formally completes the nation’s insurance recapitalization exercise, bringing the total roster of fully capitalized operators in Nigeria to 48 insurance companies and two reinsurance companies.

See details below:

List of Additional Insurance Companies that Complied with the MCR Prescribed by NIIRA 2025

The post Sovereign Trust, Guinea Insurance, 5 Others Join Verified List in Final Recapitalization Clearance appeared first on Business Today NG.

Continue Reading

Trending