Connect with us

News

Akpabio Welcomes Mass Defectors to APC, Vows to Deliver Peace in Plateau State

editor

Published

on

IMG 20251116 WA0024

Senate President Godswill Akpabio has reaffirmed that the people of Plateau State yearn for peace more than anything else, assuring that President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and the All Progressives Congress (APC) are committed to restoring lasting stability in the state.

Akpabio made the remarks on Saturday at the Jos Polo Field during a major political rally where thousands of defectors from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Labour Party, PRP, and several other platforms formally joined the APC. The event was attended by APC National Chairman, Prof. Nentawe Yilwatda Goshewe, governors, federal lawmakers, and top party leaders.

Speaking on behalf of President Tinubu, the Senate President described the mass defection as evidence of the party’s rising popularity nationwide and a “clear vindication of the Renewed Hope Administration.”

“The APC Is Your Home” — Akpabio Tells Decampees

Akpabio assured the new entrants that they would receive fair treatment and be given opportunities to contribute to the party’s growth. He said his next visit to Plateau State “will be for celebration,” pointing to the strong signs of political realignment favouring the APC ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Describing President Tinubu as “a political lion,” he urged party faithful not to entertain fear, insisting that the APC remains united and prepared to secure electoral victories across Plateau.

Akpabio also spoke emotionally about the state’s long-standing security challenges, lamenting the killings and displacement of residents.

“Plateau is looking for peace,” he said. “Children have been murdered, families displaced, and many are living as IDPs in their own state. The President is not happy with these killings, and we at the center are committed to bringing peace to Plateau.”

He stressed that anyone seeking to govern the state must demonstrate genuine commitment to peace and peaceful coexistence.

Prominent Politicians Join APC

Notable figures who defected include former Senator for Plateau North, Sen. I.D. Gyang; former Labour Party governorship candidate, Patrick Dakum; former APC state chairman, Chief Latep Dabang; House of Representatives member for Jos North/Bassa, Hon. Daniel Asama; and Hon. Dalyop Fom, representing Barkin Ladi/Riyom.

Akpabio hailed them as “political tigers” whose entry would strengthen the APC in Plateau State.

Party Leaders Express Confidence Ahead of 2027

APC National Chairman Prof. Nentawe Yilwatda Goshewe said the party is more united than ever and fully prepared to reclaim Plateau State in 2027. He praised President Tinubu for providing strong leadership and urged members to remain steadfast under the Renewed Hope Agenda.

Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives, Rt. Hon. Benjamin Kalu, also applauded the influx of “people of substance” into the APC, describing it as proof of the party’s growing appeal.

Chairman of the North Central Governors Forum, Governor Abdullahi Sule of Nasarawa State, described Plateau as “naturally an APC state,” noting that several political leaders within the current administration had already retraced their steps back to the party.

Former Plateau Governor and APC leader, Senator Simon Bako Lalong, said the rally vindicated the perseverance of APC members despite what he described as efforts by the PDP-led state government to suppress the party’s achievements. He accused the state government of sacking elected local government chairmen, removing civil servants, and abandoning key projects, saying these actions pushed many leaders back to the APC.

Speaking on behalf of the defectors, a former Special Adviser under Governor Caleb Mutfwang said they left the PDP due to “deceit, oppression, and failure to perform,” praising President Tinubu, Prof. Nentawe, and Senator Lalong for keeping the APC strong on the Plateau.

APC State Chairman, Hon. Rufus Bature, assured the defectors of equal opportunities and urged them to work collectively to rebuild the party and strengthen its chances in the next election cycle.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

EFCC recovers $60 million for Nestoil lenders in ongoing debt investigation

info

Published

on

By

Nestoil a e1786859037434.jpg

MTN ADVERT

Nigeria’s top anti-corruption agency, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), has recovered $60 million from indigenous oil and gas firm Nestoil Limited.

This breakthrough could advance efforts to resolve the protracted debt crisis between the energy company and a consortium of lenders.

Those familiar with the matter told PREMIUM TIMES that at a meeting facilitated by Olanipekun Olukoyode, the agency’s chief, Nestoil and a group of banks agreed to a structured repayment plan as part of an effort to recover the debt owed by the company to the lenders.

Our findings show that the engagement between the two parties has begun to bear fruit, with $60 million recovered so far from Nestoil and paid to the lenders in the course of the EFCC investigation and follow-up meetings with parties to the matter.

Oguzi Moses, head of investigation at EFCC’S Lagos Zonal Directorate 2, facilitated the payment made so far.

PT WHATSAPP CHANNEL

The consortium of lenders, PREMIUM TIMES found, welcomed the payment as a positive step and noted that it marks only the first stage in the repayment process, given that a substantial portion of Nestoil’s debt remains outstanding.

EFCC spokesperson, Dele Oyewale, did not answer or return calls seeking his comment on this development. But a top official of the agency, who asked not to be named because he did not have permission to discuss the case, confirmed the development, saying the anti-graft agency had to wade into the matter because of its economic implications for Nigeria.

Nnenna Azudialu-Obiejesi, executive director at Nestoil, also did not answer or return our reporter’s calls.

Background: Nestoil vs Lenders

The partial debt recovery is a major step forward in resolving a knotty legal battle between Nestoil and the banks over an alleged debt default.

The disagreement has strained relations between the parties and has far-reaching implications for the non-performing loan portfolios of some of Nigeria’s big banks.

The rift between the two parties is the subject of a complicated legal dispute that came to a head at the Supreme Court of Nigeria in June, leading the court to annul an order by the Court of Appeal freezing the assets of Nestoil and its affiliate, Neconde Energy.

The lawsuit is an attempt by FBN Quest Merchant Bank and First Trustees Limited to recover debts totalling more than $1 billion and N430 billion allegedly owed by Neconde and Nestoil, as well as Azudialu Obiejesi and Nnenna Azudialu-Obiejesi, their top promoters.

Last October, police officers acting on an order issued by Dehinde Dipeolu, a judge of the Federal High Court, Lagos Division, sealed Nestoil’s headquarters in Lagos. The order gave FBN Quest Merchant Bank and First Trustees leave to take over Nestoil’s assets.

Justice Dipeolu granted multiple orders freezing the defendants’ bank accounts and shares held with more than 20 financial and other institutions in Nigeria.

The court also authorised Abubakar Sulu-Gambari (SAN), the receiver/manager appointed by the plaintiffs, to take over Nestoil’s headquarters and other identified assets.

Justice Dipeolu also directed multiple security agencies to help enforce the receivership.

Following Nestoil’s complaints about the proceedings, John Tsoho, the chief judge of the Federal High Court, reassigned the case to another judge.

On 20 November 2025, J. Osiagor, the new Judge, revoked the earlier receivership-enforcement order.

FBN Quest Merchant Bank and First Trustees appealed against the decision on 22 November 2025.

In November 2025, the Court of Appeal issued a restorative injunction in an ex parte application filed by the financial institutions.

The order reversed Justice Osiagor’s decision, and also prohibited Nestoil, Neconde and their agents from obstructing the receiver/manager pending the hearing of the appeal.

In January, the Supreme Court directed all the parties in the suit to return to the Court of Appeal to resolve a major procedural issue.

It held that the appeal court had to resolve the issue around legal representation in the case.

On that score, the Court of Appeal, in January, disqualified Wole Olanipekun, Muiz Banire, and other lawyers appearing with them from representing Neconde and Nestoil.

It ruled that the receivership of Mr Sulu-Gambari had suspended Mr Azudialu-Obiejesi’s powers.

But the Supreme Court ruled in June that the appellate court exceeded its authority by issuing an ex parte application against the oil firms.

It ruled that the Court of Appeal assumed jurisdiction and granted an injunction against Neconde and Nestoil when the dispute was not properly before the court.

It also rebuked the lower court for misusing the judicial process in granting a stay of proceedings at the Federal High Court, Lagos.

The court consequently annulled the freezing order on Nestoil’s and Neconde’s assets.

Effect of Nestoil debt on banks

“Prior to the Court Action, Nestoil obtained several bilateral loan facilities from eight (8) lenders dating back to 2010 and serially defaulted on all the various repayment obligations,” the consortium of lenders said in a statement following the Supreme Court’s ruling.

READ ALSO: EFCC arraigns man for N56.5 million Hajj fraud

“Nestoil subsequently proposed restructuring the bilateral loan facilities to bring the Lenders into a Global Club to ease the administration of the indebtedness. Lenders, in good faith, agreed to this restructuring, but Nestoil has again serially defaulted on its repayment obligations since the restructuring became effective in 2023,” the lenders added.

According to a May press release by the lenders, Nestoil’s alleged $2 billion distressed loan has triggered “a historic balance sheet reset” and “a lack of dividend payments” at some major Nigerian banks.

The statement listed First Bank, United Bank for Africa and Access Bank among financial institutions severely impacted by Nestoil’s bad loans.


Discover more from Premium Times Nigeria

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Continue Reading

News

Troops Rescue 14 Kidnap Victims In Kogi, Plateau Operations

info

Published

on

By

20230808 165515 e1774242753483.jpg

By Sumaila Ogbaje

Troops of the Nigerian Army have rescued 14 kidnapped victims in separate operations in Kogi, while sustaining pressure on criminal elements across the country.

The Nigerian Army disclosed this in its latest operational update covering Aug. 15 and Aug. 16, made available to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), on Sunday.

In Kogi, the troops of 21 Battalion rescued 13 victims abducted along the Alloma-Ejule Road in Ofu Local Government Area.

The troops had launched a search-and-rescue operation after the victims were abducted on Aug. 11.

The operation covered the Emeweopada-Abocho axis in Dekina Local Government Area, where sustained military pressure forced the kidnappers to flee.

“The victims were subsequently released and taken to the palace of the Onu Abocho for further action.

“In another incident in Ofu, troops responding to a suspected kidnapping attack along the Ochadamu-Okabo Road rescued a pregnant woman abandoned by kidnappers.

“The troops had discovered that four civilians, including the pregnant woman, were abducted by the criminals.

“The kidnappers abandoned the woman and fled after sighting the advancing troops from a distance.

“The rescued woman was subsequently reunited with her family,” the report said.

In Plateau, troops of Operation ENDURING PEACE responded to a report of the kidnapping of two civilians at Nhantina Village in Bokkos Local Government Area.

The troops discovered one of the victims with gunshot wounds allegedly inflicted by the kidnappers.

The injured victim was evacuated to Bokkos Cottage Hospital for medical attention, while troops continued pursuit of the abductors.

“Meanwhile, troops of Operation FANSAN YAMMA arrested another suspect linked to a notorious arms and explosives dealer in Zamfara.

“The development followed the Aug. 14 arrest of the arms dealer while transporting 180 units of 20mm Super Power explosives along the Kaura-Zurmi Road in Zurmi Local Government Area.

“Based on information obtained from the suspect, troops of 1 Military Intelligence Regiment arrested another suspect at the Gusau Central Motor Park on Aug. 15,” the report said.

In Sokoto, troops responding to a terrorist attack at Jijira Village in Sabon Birni Local Government Area forced the attackers to flee into nearby bushes.

According to the report, troops have begun efforts to track the fleeing terrorists, rescue the abducted persons and recover the rustled livestock.

“Troops also foiled an attack by suspected armed militias targeting Murish Community in Mangu Local Government Area.

“Troops responded to reports of sporadic shooting, forcing the suspected militias to withdraw from the area.

“They subsequently dominated the area to deny the criminal elements freedom of action,” it added.

The latest operations underscored the military’s continued focus on disrupting kidnapping, terrorism and other criminal activities while supporting efforts to restore peace in affected communities. (NAN) (www.nannews.ng)

Edited Kamal Tayo Oropo

Continue Reading

Trending