Connect with us

News

Still facing copyright lawsuits, AI music generator Suno raises another $400M

info

Published

on

Suno 1.png

Suno, the AI music generation company, announced on Wednesday that it has raised a $400 million Series D round, valuing the company at $5.4 billion. It was only about seven months ago that Suno raised at a $2.45 billion valuation, underscoring that investors are confident in the company’s future despite the litigation it faces.

That legal trouble isn’t minor. As Suno itself has admitted, the company trains its AI on copyrighted songs. The company argues that this is permissible according to fair use — a legal doctrine that allows limited use of copyrighted material without permission, but one that is highly fact-specific and can vary widely from case to case. Copyright holders like Universal Music Group (UMG), Sony, and German music collection organization GEMA have continued to pursue legal action against Suno, though Warner Music Group (WMG) settled and reached a licensing deal with the company last November.

When Sony and UMG initially sued Suno in 2024, the companies claimed that Suno had trained on 560 of their copyrighted works. That number has since grown meaningfully. Last month, the record labels filed to amend their complaint to allege that over 61,000 more songs were used for AI training without permission.

None of that appears to be slowing Suno’s growth. It continues to hover around the top of the App Store charts for music, and at the time it was raising its Series C round, users were generating over 7 million songs on Suno every day, according to a pitch deck obtained by Billboard.

The Series D round was led by Bond Capital, alongside IVP, Forerunner, Union Square Ventures, Alkeon, and Quiet. Existing investors Matrix, Lightspeed, Menlo Ventures, and Schroders Capital also contributed. Suno says that it is “thrilled to have participation from some of the best artists, producers, songwriters, and people from across the music industry,” without disclosing any names.

The omission is notable; named artist endorsements would go a long way toward defusing the narrative that the music industry is uniformly opposed to what Suno is building.

When you purchase through links in our articles, we may earn a small commission. This doesn’t affect our editorial independence.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Health

FCTA trains health workers in basic life support, plans Code Blue teams in hospitals

info

Published

on

By

Image0 2.jpeg

MTN ADVERT

The Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) has commenced Basic Life Support (BLS) training for health workers in seven public hospitals, as part of efforts to strengthen emergency response and reduce preventable deaths in the territory.

This was disclosed in a statement issued on Saturday.

The four-day American Heart Association (AHA)- certified training is being held at the Conference Hall of Asokoro District Hospital, Abuja, following the National Council on Health’s approval to implement the National BLS Training Programme nationwide.

Health workers from Asokoro, Maitama, Wuse, Gwarinpa, Kuje, Kubwa and Nyanya hospitals are participating in the training.

The programme is designed to equip health workers with the skills required to respond quickly to medical emergencies and provide basic life-saving care while patients await further medical intervention.

PT WHATSAPP CHANNEL

FCTA plans Code Blue, teams

The Mandate Secretary, Health Services and Environment Secretariat (HSES), Dolapo Fasawe, while declaring the training open, said the programme would strengthen emergency services in FCT hospitals and help reduce avoidable deaths.

Ms Fasawe said the FCTA was also working towards establishing Code Blue teams across hospitals in the territory to ensure that patients requiring urgent attention receive prompt care.

“Our goal is to record success stories from ‘no pulse to resuscitation consistently’. When people know that they can receive timely and proper emergency care in our hospitals, it will also build their confidence and trust in government hospitals to respond swiftly and manage their loved ones,” she said.

She said the training would also help health workers remain up to date with global practices in emergency care.

According to her, participants would be expected to share the knowledge they acquire with their colleagues and the public to support the National Community cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) Initiative.

Ms Fasawe added that the training would be extended to other hospitals in the FCT, with the necessary basic equipment and other requirements provided to strengthen emergency response and patient care.

Training to include bleeding control
The training coordinator, Rosemary Nwokorie, a consultant anaesthetist, said the exercise was being conducted in batches.

She said the first batch was scheduled for 21 and 22 August, while the second batch would be held on 4 and 5 September.

The training also includes a Stop the Bleeding course, which teaches participants how to control severe bleeding in trauma patients before definitive medical care is provided.

Onyedika Okoye, a trauma surgeon at the Trauma Centre, National Hospital, Abuja, leads the team of instructors.

READ ALSO: Stakeholders seek more health workers to boost routine immunisation in three northern states

Participants will undergo an assessment at the end of the training, with certificates to be awarded to those who meet the required standard.

‘Timely intervention can mean the difference between life and death’

The Medical Director of Asokoro District Hospital, Oluseyi Ashaolu, described the training as necessary and timely, saying it would help health workers keep pace with developments in emergency care.

Mr Ashaolu said the knowledge and skills acquired would help curb avoidable deaths, particularly in situations where immediate and appropriate intervention could determine whether a patient survives.

The FCTA said the programme was part of its broader efforts to improve emergency care and ensure that health workers are adequately prepared to respond when patients require immediate attention.


Discover more from Premium Times Nigeria

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Continue Reading

News

2027: ‘Your hypocrisy insult to Nigerians, you’ll fail’ – Presidency bombs Atiku

info

Published

on

By

Atiku 2.jpg

Sunday Dare, President Bola Tinubu’s Special Adviser on Media and Public Communication, has said the hypocrisy of the African Democratic Congress, ADC, presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar is an insult to the collective intelligence of Nigerians navigating global economic headwinds.

Dare warned that Atiku’s desperation will fail during the 2027 presidential election.

Posting on X, the presidential spokesman wrote: “True leadership requires the courage to defend difficult, foundational reforms even when the political weather is rough, rather than pandering to populist illusions for ballot-box validation.

“Atiku’s hypocrisy is an insult to the collective intelligence of a resilient populace navigating global economic headwinds.

“By the Grace of God, this desperate gambit will fail, and all citizens of conscience must rise up to soundly repudiate this political innuendo.”

Lately, Atiku and Tinubu have been tackling each other over the issue of fuel subsidy removal.

Recall that Tinubu, a presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress, APC, had defeated Atiku during the 2023 election.

During his inauguration at the Eagle Square in Abuja, Tinubu ended the fuel subsidy regime in Nigeria.

But with the commencement of the 2027 presidential campaign, Atiku had promised to return the subsidy removed by Tinubu.

Continue Reading

Trending