Connect with us

News

Ekiti 2026: Re-elect Oyebanji for second term – Tinubu tells residents

info

Published

on

Tinubu 2 1.jpg

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has commended Governor Biodun Oyebanji’s performance in office, telling Ekiti voters that the governor came into leadership fully prepared to serve the people.

Speaking ahead of the June 20 governorship election, Tinubu urged residents to re-elect Oyebanji for a second term.

The endorsement came on Tuesday at the All Progressives Congress mega rally in Ado-Ekiti. The venue was packed with party faithful, allies from other political groups, and supporters across religious and ethnic lines, all showing solidarity with Oyebanji’s re-election bid.

Represented by Vice President Kashim Shettima, President Tinubu praised Ekiti citizens for their loyalty to the APC over the years.

He described the state as fortunate to have Oyebanji at the helm of affairs, noting that the governor’s actions and policies prove that true leadership is about serving people, not oppressing them or undermining their rights.

Tinubu highlighted Oyebanji’s humility, patience, and respect for traditional rulers and past leaders, pointing out the absence of opposition posters across the state as a sign of Oyebanji’s wide acceptance.

“On Saturday, go out and re-elect this humble and peaceful man to further serve you better,” Shettima said on Tinubu’s behalf. The President then symbolically handed Oyebanji over to former governors and first ladies, urging them to secure victory for him.

Chairman of the APC National Campaign Council and Kaduna State Governor, Uba Sani, described Oyebanji’s popularity as electrifying.

Chairman of the APC Governors Forum and Imo State Governor, Hope Uzodinma, said the party’s visibility in Ekiti was unmatched. He noted that only the APC had campaigned market to market and house to house.

APC National Chairman, Prof Nentawe Yilwadta, insisted the party’s confidence was rooted in Oyebanji’s connection to the people, not just in being the ruling party.

A visibly elated Governor Oyebanji, joined by his wife Dr Olayemi Oyebanji and Deputy Monisade Afuye, said he was not relying on federal might but on his record and the promises he kept since 2022.

He appealed for a peaceful election and promised that his second term would surpass the achievements of the last three and a half years.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Osun Election: We worked with Accord to stop APC from winning – ADC

info

Published

on

By

ADC 2.jpg

The African Democratic Congress, ADC, has revealed the reason for its poor performance in the just concluded Osun State governorship election.

Speaking during an interview on Trust TV, ADC National Publicity Secretary, Bolaji Abdullahi, said the party’s low vote count was due to its collaboration with the Accord Party, which won the election.

📱 Continue reading on the Daily Post app →
Free • No sign-up • Read the full story in the app

Continue Reading

News

Gunmen Storm Plateau Community, Kill 20 in Fresh Attack

info

Published

on

By

Gunmen 1019x598 1 1200x675.jpg

At least 20 people have been killed after armed gunmen invaded Binper community in Kombun District of Mangu Local Government Area, Plateau State, in a fresh attack that stretched from Monday night into the early hours of Tuesday.

The attackers reportedly moved into the community around midnight and targeted residents in their homes.

Several people were also injured, while others are still unaccounted for following the assault.

Residents said the gunmen, who were heavily armed, went from one house to another and forced their way inside. Some victims were reportedly attacked while they were asleep.

An eyewitness said the attackers “were moving from house to house, opening the doors of people who were sleeping and slaughtering them.”

The eyewitness added that more than 20 bodies had been recovered from different parts of the community, while efforts were still being made to locate residents whose whereabouts remained unknown.

The attack also caused extensive damage to property. Several houses were reportedly set ablaze, while farmlands and crops were destroyed during the invasion.

A resident who spoke about the incident described the situation as “terrible” and questioned why security personnel did not arrive while the attackers were still in the community.

According to the resident, the delayed response allowed the assailants to operate for several hours before leaving the area.

The latest attack has heightened fear among residents of Binper and surrounding communities, particularly farmers who depend on their farmlands for their livelihood.

Victims who survived the attack with injuries were taken to nearby medical facilities for treatment. Community members and local volunteers also began searching for missing persons and recovering the bodies of those killed.

Security personnel were later deployed to the community on Tuesday morning as authorities moved to restore calm and prevent further attacks.

Plateau State Map
Plateau State Map

The Plateau State Police Command confirmed that an attack occurred in the area but said it was still working to establish the exact number of casualties.

The command was also expected to conduct an assessment of the affected community and determine the extent of the destruction.

The new Commissioner of Police in the state, CP Ayodeji Faniyan, alongside other senior officers, was reportedly heading to the affected area to assess the situation and receive a firsthand briefing from residents and security personnel.

Mangu has remained one of the areas affected by recurring violence, with previous attacks resulting in deaths, displacement and the destruction of homes and farmlands.

The violence has also affected farming activities in several communities. Residents have repeatedly raised concerns about their ability to access their farms safely, particularly during the farming season.

The Binper community has previously featured in reports concerning insecurity and destruction of crops.

Farmers in the area have complained about attacks on their farms and the difficulty of protecting their crops from armed groups.

The latest incident has therefore raised fresh concerns about the safety of residents who remain in vulnerable communities across Mangu.

Meanwhile, the Mwaghavul Youth Movement, MYM, has condemned the latest attack and expressed anger over the continued loss of lives in communities within Mangu Local Government Area.

The group said the killing of residents and destruction of homes and farmlands amounted to a serious threat to the survival and future of the affected communities.

In a statement signed by its Director of Public Affairs, Tubwot Joël Sunday, the movement said residents should not be forced to rely on themselves for protection when security agencies have the responsibility of safeguarding lives and property.

The group also claimed that local youths had played a role in protecting residents during the attack by remaining on guard throughout the night.

It, however, warned that community self-defence could not replace an effective security system.

The movement called on Plateau State Governor Caleb Mutfwang and President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to take urgent steps to address the security situation in vulnerable communities.

It also demanded a transparent investigation into the attack and other incidents recorded in Mangu, saying those responsible must be identified and prosecuted.

The group said the repeated killings could no longer be treated as isolated incidents because the attacks were affecting not only human lives but also homes, farms and the economic activities of entire communities.

It urged authorities to take what it described as “uncommon action” to stop the continued violence and prevent further loss of lives.

 

Continue Reading

Trending