Connect with us

News

Sri Lanka discloses another missing payment, days after hackers stole $2.5M from its finance ministry

info

Published

on

GettyImages 477672484.jpg

Sri Lanka said on Tuesday that a payment of about $625,000 (about 199.7 million Sri Lankan rupees) to the U.S. Postal Service has been missing for several weeks, after U.S. officials reported that the payment had failed to arrive, reports local media.

Authorities detected the incident after hackers allegedly tried to divert another payment intended for India. 

Australian officials are reportedly aware of irregularities in payments owed to the country, suggesting that the Sri Lankan thefts could be broader than first thought.

The disclosure comes days after Sri Lankan officials said they were probing the theft of $2.5 million by a hacker who had targeted the country’s finance ministry.

Treasury Secretary Harshana Suriyapperuma told reporters at a press conference last week that the hackers diverted the payment from the country’s postal authority “to other bank accounts, instead of the intended recipient.”

These incidents seem to be business email compromise attacks, in which hackers break into email inboxes or other accounting systems to manipulate bank accounts and routing numbers during the process of paying an invoice.

Business email compromise scams are popular with cybercriminals, and recent FBI data has shown such attacks remain one of the top sources of cybercriminal profits, as hackers can steal vast sums of money via a single breach. The FBI says email compromise attacks resulted in billions in dollars of losses last year alone.

News of the successive security lapses has put new pressure on the Sri Lankan government after years of financial difficulties. The country is still recovering an economic crisis that led to it defaulting on its debt in 2022, and resulted in months of protests that culminated in the ouster of then-president Gotabaya Rajapaksa.

It’s currently unclear if the two thefts are linked. Member of Parliament Nalinda Jayatissa said the government is investigating whether the incidents are connected.

When you purchase through links in our articles, we may earn a small commission. This doesn’t affect our editorial independence.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

“No Elections Were Conducted, Yet Results Appeared” — Diket Plang Leads APC Aspirants in Petition Over Plateau Primaries

editor

Published

on

By

IMG

Incumbent Senator representing Plateau Central, Diket Plang, on Thursday led a delegation of aggrieved aspirants of the All Progressives Congress to the party secretariat in Jos, Plateau State, where they formally submitted petitions challenging the conduct and outcome of the recently concluded APC primaries.

The group, which included senatorial, House of Representatives and State Assembly aspirants, called for the nullification of the exercise, describing it as flawed, non-transparent and inconsistent with the party’s electoral guidelines.

IMG

Among those who accompanied the senator were Chris Giwa, aspirant for Plateau North Senatorial District; Ephraim Usman Gar; John Tongshinen; Beatrice C.J Dakas; and Komsol Alphonsus Longgap, all of whom are contesting various positions in the 2027 general elections.

Speaking on behalf of the delegation, Senator Plang expressed strong dissatisfaction with the primaries, insisting that what transpired fell far below acceptable democratic standards within the party.

“I am a serving senator… we are here in loyalty and obedience to the guidelines of our great party, APC… but for us on this platform, today’s election is the worst,” Plang said.

He alleged widespread irregularities in the conduct of the primaries, including lack of accreditation, absence of party agents during voting, and manipulation of results.

IMG

Plang also accused some unnamed party officials of allocating votes rather than conducting credible elections, citing his own case where he claimed 1,423 votes were assigned to him without a proper electoral process.

“That is a total blackmail. That is unacceptable. And this cannot be tolerated,” he said.

According to him, in several constituencies across Plateau State, elections were either not conducted or were abruptly discontinued, yet results later surfaced from unclear sources.

The senator further argued that direct primaries, as provided for in the party’s guidelines, were meant to ensure broad participation of registered members, but alleged that the process was instead compromised by administrative irregularities.

He maintained that the aggrieved aspirants remain loyal to the APC and its leadership but insisted that justice must be served through the party’s appeal mechanism.

“We remain loyal to the party, but whatever has been done should be nullified and proper guidelines must be followed,” he added.

Other aspirants who submitted petitions at the secretariat echoed similar concerns, calling for a review of the exercise and fresh primaries in affected areas.

IMG

The petitioners also urged the party’s appeal committee to intervene and restore confidence in the internal democratic process of the APC in Plateau State.

IMG

Continue Reading

News

APC Primaries: Dickson Chollom Petitions Party Over Alleged Lack of Election in Barkin Ladi

editor

Published

on

By

Screenshot 20260521 173743.jpg

Dickson Y. Chollom, the lawmaker representing Barkin Ladi Constituency in the Plateau State House of Assembly, has petitioned the All Progressives Congress over what he described as the absence of a valid primary election in Barkin Ladi Local Government Area.

Chollom, who is seeking reelection under the APC, stormed the party secretariat in Jos on Thursday alongside his aides, supporters and registered party members to formally submit his complaint to the party’s appeal committee.

Addressing journalists shortly after filing the petition, the lawmaker insisted that no House of Assembly primary election was conducted in Barkin Ladi despite reports suggesting otherwise.

“As you are all aware, yesterday was the day slated for the APC House of Assembly primary elections. I am here to submit my petition because the whole of Barkin Ladi, as it was yesterday, there was no election,” he said.

According to Chollom, earlier National Assembly primaries in the local government had previously been postponed due to insecurity concerns, with party officials deciding it would be unsafe to allow voting continue into the evening.

He explained that a similar situation played out during the House of Assembly primaries as election materials reportedly failed to arrive throughout the day.

“From around 11 or 12 o’clock, we began to suspect that something was wrong. Up till 3 p.m. and even 4 p.m., there were still no election materials,” he alleged.

The lawmaker further accused the executive chairman of Barkin Ladi Local Government of interfering with the electoral process by allegedly rejecting officials sent by the APC state leadership to conduct the exercise.

According to him, the officials had already been invited by the party leadership and were preparing for the election before they were turned away.

“The local government chairman came and said he did not recognize the officials sent by the party. He sent them away and locked up the office,” Chollom claimed.

He also alleged that after the confusion, party officials proposed conducting the election using plain sheets of paper instead of official electoral materials.

“They said they should go to the field and use plain paper, then send electronic copies of the results to be printed later,” he said.

Chollom maintained that the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, and even officials of the APC in the state were aware that no valid election took place in Barkin Ladi.

“We have submitted our petition even to INEC. INEC is aware that there was no election conducted. Even the state party chairman knows there was no election,” he stated.

Despite the controversy, the lawmaker said he and his supporters remained peaceful and prepared for a fresh exercise if ordered by the appeal committee.

“Even if the election will be conducted ten times over, we are ready because we are peaceful people,” he added.

Meanwhile, supporters and APC members from Barkin Ladi who accompanied Chollom to the party secretariat were seen holding green leaves and chanting slogans rejecting the announced results.

The protesters repeatedly declared that “an election that did not take place cannot have results.”

Continue Reading

Trending