Connect with us

News

‘Soldiers Guided Cows While We Were Killed’ — Plateau Survivor Accuses Military of Abandoning Village

info

Published

on

Images 2026 04 13T074100.586.jpeg

Fresh controversy has emerged from the recent killings in Plateau State, as a survivor of the April 9 attack in Mbwelle village has accused security forces of abandoning residents during the deadly assault.

The woman, who lost eight members of her family, claimed that soldiers deployed to the area failed to respond to distress calls while the attack lasted for hours.

The incident occurred in Mbwelle village, located in Kwatas district of Bokkos Local Government Area. The attackers, suspected to be Fulani militia, reportedly stormed the community at night, opening fire on residents and causing widespread panic. Several homes were also affected during the invasion, leaving many families displaced.

According to the grieving woman, help never came despite repeated calls to nearby troops. She said residents had hoped that soldiers under the Operation Ensuring Peace task force would intervene quickly, given their proximity to the village.

“When the Fulani killers came to our village that night and started shooting at the people, our youths and elders called the soldiers who were stationed less than three kilometers away.

“We pleaded with them to come to our aid but they refused to come,” she said.

The survivor described how the attack went on for over two hours without any form of military intervention. She said the assailants moved from house to house, killing and destroying properties, while residents tried to escape or hide.

“The Fulani killers were shouting “Allah Akbar” and shooting at our people for more than two hours but the soldiers did not come. They came into our house and killed eight of my family members including my brother’s wife who was pregnant.

“How wicked could they be? They killed my father, my brothers, and my young nephews. What did these people do to them to deserve such a death?”

She added that more than 20 people were killed in the attack, leaving the community in mourning and fear. Many survivors are now said to be taking refuge in nearby villages, unsure of when it will be safe to return.

The woman further alleged that after the attackers fled, disturbing discoveries were made by members of the community. According to her, the attackers retreated to a nearby settlement known as Korong, which had earlier been taken over after previous displacements.

“In the end, we lost over 20 people. When the Fulani killers left, we discovered that they ran to Korong, one of the villages that they had earlier chased the people away from and forcibly occupied.

“As if that was not enough, we later realized that the soldiers had stationed their gun truck in front of Korong thereby providing security for the Fulani people while leaving innocent people open to attack,” the woman lamented.

Her claims have sparked outrage among residents and observers, with many questioning the role of security forces in the troubled region. Community leaders have called for an independent investigation into the incident, insisting that those responsible for any negligence must be held accountable.

Efforts to get an official response from military authorities were still ongoing as of the time of filing this report. However, security agencies have in the past maintained that they remain committed to protecting lives and property in Plateau State.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Health

FG inaugurates committees for 67th National Council on Health, demands result-oriented recommendations

info

Published

on

By

Fast2836.webp

MTN ADVERT

The Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare has inaugurated sub-committees ahead of the 67th Regular National Council on Health (NCH), urging members to ensure that their recommendations are evidence-based, practical and focused on improving healthcare delivery in Nigeria.

The ministry said this on Thursday during the inaugural meeting of the sub-committees in Abuja.

The 67th NCH is scheduled to hold from 16 to 20 November in Lafia, Nasarawa State.

The council, which will bring together key stakeholders across the federal and state health sectors, will be held under the theme, “From Commitment to Results: Delivering Quality and Equitable Healthcare for All Nigerians.”

Representing the Permanent Secretary of the ministry, Kachollom Daju, at the meeting, the Director of Health Planning, Research and Statistics, John Ovuoraye, described the NCH as a critical platform for policy dialogue, coordination and decision-making in Nigeria’s health sector.

PT WHATSAPP CHANNEL

Daju said the Technical Committee and its subcommittees play an important role in preparing recommendations for the council’s consideration.

“The quality of the work produced by these sub-committees will have a direct bearing on the effectiveness of the recommendations that will be presented to the National Council on Health,” she said.

She urged members to carry out their responsibilities with diligence, integrity, professionalism and objectivity.

Daju also called for an open-minded approach to the assignments and constructive engagement between the Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare and the Nasarawa State Local Organising Committee.

According to her, members’ participation reflects a shared commitment to strengthening Nigeria’s health system and improving Nigerians’ health and well-being.

Nasarawa promises collaboration

The Nasarawa State Commissioner for Health, Shekwonugaza Gwamna, represented by the Permanent Secretary of the state Ministry of Health, Ibrahim Hassan, welcomed participants to the meeting.

Mr Hassan reaffirmed the state’s readiness to work with the Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare to ensure a successful 67th NCH.

He said the inaugural meeting provided an opportunity for the state’s Local Organising Committee to present the progress made so far, receive guidance from the federal ministry and strengthen preparations for the council.

He thanked members for their commitment and wished them productive deliberations as preparations for the event continue.

Key areas of preparation

The meeting considered several issues relating to preparations for the council, including the formal inauguration of the sub-committees and clarification of the roles and responsibilities of their chairmen and members.

Members also reviewed and worked towards finalising the logo for the 67th NCH, as well as the format and timely submission of memoranda by states.

READ ALSO: PT Health Watch: Why parents should not overlook children’s vision problems

The meeting was attended physically by officials of the Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare, while members of the Nasarawa State Local Organising Committee participated virtually.

The 67th NCH is expected to deliberate on major health priorities and develop actionable recommendations to improve the quality, equity, and responsiveness of healthcare delivery across Nigeria.


Discover more from Premium Times Nigeria

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Continue Reading

News

NFF Fact-Finding Committee: Obafemi Calls Exercise Another ‘Jamboree’, Questions Need for Panel

info

Published

on

By

WhatsApp Image 2025 06 04 at 10.46.56 AM.jpeg

Former Super Eagles player Abiodun Obafemi has questioned the usefulness of the Nigeria Football Federation’s newly constituted fact-finding committee, warning that another investigation may do little to solve problems he believes have been obvious for years.

The former international is sceptical that the latest initiative will bring about the fundamental changes Nigerian football needs, arguing that the major challenges confronting the game are already well known to those responsible for its administration.

Obafemi believes the NFF should be focusing less on identifying problems and more on accepting responsibility and taking action to correct them.

According to the former Super Eagles player, “the problems in the country’s football are known to everyone.”

He questioned why another committee was necessary when, in his view, the federation is already aware of the weaknesses affecting the administration and development of football in the country.

“The NFF does not need a committee to remind it of its responsibilities and failures in running the affairs of football in the country,” Obafemi said.

His criticism comes after the NFF established a six-member fact-finding committee to investigate the recent poor performances of Nigeria’s national teams.

The move has generated mixed reactions, with some stakeholders welcoming the attempt to examine the situation while others remain doubtful about whether the exercise will produce meaningful change.

For Obafemi, the concern is not simply about the latest committee, but about the history of similar exercises that have failed to produce the transformation expected by Nigerian football stakeholders.

He described the latest initiative as “another jamboree,” arguing that this is not the first time a committee has been established to examine problems within Nigerian football.

The former international believes previous experiences should make the football authorities cautious about repeating a process that ends with a report but produces little tangible change.

His position puts him firmly among those demanding more than investigations and recommendations from the NFF.

The debate also comes as Nigerian football faces broader questions over national-team performance, administration, grassroots development, the domestic game and the long-term direction of the sport.

While the committee has now been given the responsibility of examining the circumstances behind the national teams’ struggles, its eventual report will face a crucial test: whether its recommendations can translate into concrete reforms.

For Obafemi, however, Nigerians have heard enough explanations.

The former Super Eagles player wants the football authorities to move beyond committees and reports and confront the problems that have continued to hold the country’s football back.

The question now is whether the latest fact-finding exercise will finally lead to action—or become another report that gathers dust.

Continue Reading

Trending