Connect with us

News

Carney Chukwuemeka Completes Austria Switch, Named in 2026 FIFA World Cup Squad

info

Published

on

IMG 20260526 WA0067.jpg

Former Nigeria-eligible midfielder Carney Chukwuemeka has officially been named in Austria’s squad for the 2026 FIFA World Cup, bringing an end to long-standing discussions surrounding his international future.

Born in Vienna to Nigerian parents before relocating to England as a child, the talented 22-year-old midfielder completed a late nationality switch earlier this year after receiving FIFA approval in March.

The decision immediately opened the door for his Austria debut, and the midfielder wasted no time making his mark on the international stage.

Chukwuemeka scored on his debut appearance against Ghana before featuring again in another international fixture against South Korea.

Speaking about his memorable debut goal, Chukwuemeka expressed his excitement about representing Austria- Sports247 reports

“It’s a fantastic feeling. Not many words can describe this moment,” he said.

“When the ball hit the back of the net, I couldn’t believe it. I want to do it all over again immediately. I’ve felt incredibly welcome here.

We got off to a great start, scored early, and just kept going. It feels more like a family than a team.”

The midfielder’s rapid development has also continued at club level with Borussia Dortmund, where he has enjoyed an impressive breakthrough season.

His performances in domestic and European competitions have drawn praise from football observers across Europe, with his creativity, dribbling ability, and attacking versatility standing out.

Austria head coach Ralf Rangnick also praised the midfielder while discussing his inclusion in the World Cup squad.

“He is a dribbling, skillful player who scores important goals from wide areas,” Rangnick stated.

Austria’s qualification for the 2026 FIFA World Cup marks the country’s first appearance at the tournament since 1998.

They have been drawn in Group J alongside Argentina national football team, Algeria national football team, and Jordan national football team.

Chukwuemeka’s inclusion is expected to add further excitement and quality to Austria’s squad as they prepare for their return to football’s biggest global stage in the United States, Mexico, and Canada.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Turn Osun guber loss to Tinubu’s 2027 victory – Oyintiloye to APC members

info

Published

on

By

Olatunbosun Oyintiloye.jpg

A chieftain of the All Progressives Congress, APC, in Osun, Olatunbosun Oyintiloye, has urged party leaders and members to turn the party’s loss in the governorship election into victory in the 2027 general elections.

Oyintiloye, who spoke with journalists on Sunday in Osogbo, said party members should desist from attributing the electoral setback to a particular party leader in the state.

He argued that elections were rarely determined by the activities of a single individual, stressing that candidate appeal, grassroots mobilisation, party cohesion, campaign strategy and voter sentiment, among other factors, all contribute to election outcomes.

According to him, “the APC should resist the temptation of engaging in post-election blame games, but instead, undertake a comprehensive and honest assessment of its performance.

“This is not the time to crucify anybody. It is a time for sober reflection, reconciliation and strategic repositioning. No single individual should be made the scapegoat for an outcome that involved many political and electoral factors.

“We must start working immediately on how we can reposition the party to garner maximum votes for President Bola Tinubu and other APC candidates in the 2027 general elections in the state. We do not have much time left to do that. We must find a way to turn the guber loss to victory for Tinubu and others in the next few months.”

He called for a thorough post-election review to examine the party’s performance from the polling-unit level to the state structures.

Oyintiloye stressed that constructive criticism was necessary for the survival and growth of any political organisation, but warned against criticism driven by anger, personal grievances, or the desire to settle political scores.

“The 2027 general election is already very close. We can not afford to spend the next period fighting ourselves. The real work of rebuilding must begin now,” he said.

He urged party leaders to reconnect with grassroots members and voters, listen to their concerns, and develop strategies capable of restoring confidence in the party.

Oyintiloye described the electoral defeat as a temporary setback rather than the end of the party, noting that political fortunes were dynamic.

Continue Reading

News

Plateau: Suspected bandits storm mining site, shoot miner dead 

info

Published

on

By

Bandits.jpg

A miner identified as Mr Dachung Dacholom has died after suspected Fulani militia members reportedly opened fire at an illegal mining site in Rim community, Riyom Local Government Area of Plateau State.

The incident occurred at about 11:00 a.m. on Saturday, August 22, 2026, when troops of Sector 6, Operation ENDURING PEACE, deployed to Rim responded to reports of sporadic gunshots around the site.

According to security analyst Zagazola Makama, troops alongside personnel of the Department of State Services, DSS, arrived at the location and found Dacholom’s body.

“The assailants were said to have opened fire on miners at the site before fleeing into the surrounding high grounds,” Makama said.

Troops and DSS personnel subsequently searched the area for the attackers but did not make contact with them.

Dacholom’s remains were later handed over to his family for burial.

According to the report, security agencies have since intensified patrols around the community to prevent further attacks and contain possible tension.

Efforts are also ongoing to identify and apprehend those responsible for the shooting.

Continue Reading

Trending