Connect with us

Health

Ebola: DRC gets 70,000 Ervebo vaccine doses as Bundibugyo outbreak worsens

info

Published

on

Vaccines for homeless western cape vaccination.jpg

MTN ADVERT

The Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has received an initial allocation of 70,000 doses of the Ervebo Ebola vaccine to support the response to the ongoing Bundibugyo virus disease outbreak.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) and the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) disclosed this in a joint statement on Thursday.

The allocation followed a request by the DRC government last week for vaccines from the global Ebola virus disease vaccine stockpile managed by the International Coordinating Group on Vaccine Provision (ICG).

Of the 70,000 doses, 20,000 will be used in a Phase III clinical trial to assess whether Ervebo can protect against Bundibugyo virus, while the remaining 50,000 doses will be administered to frontline and health workers in line with recommendations by the WHO Strategic Advisory Group of Experts on Immunisation (SAGE).

Why the vaccine is being tested

The decision to use part of the allocation in a clinical trial reflects the uncertainty surrounding the effectiveness of Ervebo against Bundibugyo virus.

PT WHATSAPP CHANNEL

Ervebo is a licensed vaccine recommended for use during outbreaks caused by the Zaire species of Ebola virus. The current outbreak in the DRC, however, is caused by Bundibugyo virus, a different species of the Ebola virus.

WHO said it is not yet known whether Ervebo can protect humans against Bundibugyo virus, although early laboratory and animal studies suggest that it may provide some protection.

The Phase III trial is therefore expected to generate evidence on whether the vaccine can offer protection against the virus and help guide future decisions on its use during similar outbreaks.

WHO said people offered the vaccine, whether as part of the trial or outside it, must be informed about the potential risks, benefits and limitations of using Ervebo against Bundibugyo virus and must provide informed consent.

Outbreak spread

According to the latest WHO disease outbreak update, 4,665 confirmed cases and 2,184 deaths had been reported as of 12 August.

The outbreak has expanded from the Mongbwalu health zone in Ituri Province to 54 health zones across six provinces: Ituri, North Kivu, South Kivu, Haut-Uélé, Tshopo and Bas-Uélé.

WHO described the outbreak as being in a phase of intense transmission and said it was the largest Ebola outbreak ever reported in the DRC.

The outbreak was declared on 15 May and has been driven by factors including population movement, insecurity, artisanal mining activities and cross-border travel involving Uganda and South Sudan.

The scale of the outbreak has consequently increased pressure on health authorities and researchers to deploy available interventions while developing tools specifically suited to the Bundibugyo virus.

Vaccine development

In July, PREMIUM TIMES reported that the first human clinical trial of an experimental Bundibugyo Ebola vaccine had begun at the University of Oxford.

The Phase I trial, known as BD-Ebov, is assessing the safety of the experimental ChAdOx1 BDBV vaccine and its ability to stimulate immune responses in healthy adults.

The vaccine was developed by the University of Oxford’s Oxford Vaccine Group and Pandemic Sciences Institute in collaboration with the Serum Institute of India and the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI).

Unlike Ervebo, which is licensed for use against Zaire ebolavirus, ChAdOx1 BDBV was specifically designed to target Bundibugyo virus.

The development of a vaccine specifically targeting the virus is considered important because there is currently no approved vaccine specifically for Bundibugyo virus.

The use of Ervebo in the current outbreak could therefore serve a dual purpose; providing protection to health workers who are at high risk of exposure while generating evidence on whether an existing Ebola vaccine can provide protection against another species of the virus.

WHO’s technical advisory group on candidate vaccine prioritisation recently recommended that Ervebo be included in a randomised clinical trial during the ongoing DRC outbreak following a review of emerging evidence on its potential cross-protection against Bundibugyo virus.

Community response

Beyond the vaccines, WHO and Africa CDC said the success of the response would also depend on the involvement of communities affected by the outbreak.

The two organisations welcomed the allocation of the vaccines and supported the DRC’s focus on a community-led approach, which they said would give communities a central role in the response.

Such an approach, they said, would help protect affected populations, save lives and contain transmission while ensuring that people receiving the vaccine understand its potential benefits and limitations.

The ICG partners are WHO, the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) and United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), while Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance, provides funding for the global vaccine stockpile.

WHO and Africa CDC said they remained committed to supporting the DRC government to end the outbreak while generating scientific evidence that could strengthen preparedness for future outbreaks.

READ ALSO: DRC Ebola outbreak becomes second-largest on record – WHO

Nigeria’s preparedness

The continued spread of the virus has also raised concerns beyond the DRC because of the potential for cross-border transmission.

Nigeria has subsequently heightened its preparedness, with the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (NCDC) activating its Emergency Operations Centre, strengthening surveillance at points of entry and increasing monitoring across states.

The federal government also identified 21 states and the Federal Capital Territory as being at high risk of Ebola infection following a dynamic risk assessment.

State governments were urged to strengthen surveillance, isolation capacity and infection prevention and control measures.


Discover more from Premium Times Nigeria

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Health

FEC approves N540bn to upgrade National Hospital, build cancer centre

info

Published

on

By

Professor Muhammad Ali Pate copy.jpg

MTN ADVERT

The Federal Executive Council (FEC) has approved projects worth about N540 billion to upgrade the National Hospital, Abuja, to a quaternary healthcare institution and to build a new cancer treatment centre.

Quaternary healthcare refers to highly specialised medical care involving advanced treatment, research and management of complex conditions.

The approvals were disclosed by the Minister of Health and Social Welfare, Muhammad Pate, after the weekly FEC meeting on Wednesday.

The Personal Assistant to President Bola Tinubu on Special Duties, Kamorudeen Yusuf, shared details of the approvals in a post on X.

The approved projects include the construction of new facilities at the National Hospital, Abuja, a Neuroscience Institute and a new National Institute for Cancer Research and Treatment (NICRAT) facility.

PT WHATSAPP CHANNEL

National Hospital upgrade

According to Yusuf, the council approved N18.74 million for the refitting of the hospital’s administrative block, with Visible Construction Limited awarded the contract.

It also approved N64.92 billion for modular clinics and a theatre complex, to be constructed by Strabbing Construction Limited.

Another N103 billion was approved for a new hospital wing, with CBC Global Civil Construction Limited awarded the contract.

The project is expected to be completed within 24 months.

The council further approved N69 billion for a Neuroscience Institute covering neurosurgery, radiology and rehabilitation. CBC Global Civil and Building Construction Limited was awarded the contract.

The approvals are part of plans to transform the National Hospital, which Pate said had lagged behind its “original vision” due to years of underinvestment since its establishment about 25 years ago.

Cancer centre

The largest of the approved projects is the N302.3 billion facility for the National Institute for Cancer Research and Treatment.

Yusuf said the project, awarded to CBC Global Civil and Building Construction Nigeria Limited, has a 36-month completion period.

READ ALSO: FG seeks African-led research, partnerships to tackle hepatobiliary cancers

The facility is expected to strengthen cancer research and treatment capacity in the country.

“The projects follow President Tinubu’s directive to strengthen healthcare infrastructure nationwide, and that funding comes through National Assembly appropriations already reflected in the 2025 and 2026 budgets rather than direct ministry allocation,” Pate was quoted to have said.


Discover more from Premium Times Nigeria

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Continue Reading

Health

Expert warns against practices that can cause condom failure

info

Published

on

By

Preview16 e1787247871113.jpg

MTN ADVERT

An HIV prevention expert has cautioned that improper use of condoms, including the use of oil-based lubricants, can increase the likelihood of condoms breaking and undermine protection against HIV and other sexually transmitted infections.

The Senior Manager for Prevention Programmes at the AIDS Healthcare Foundation, Taofeek Adeleye, issued the warning in Lagos on Thursday during a two-day training for journalists and social media influencers on HIV Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP).

The National Agency for the Control of AIDS (NACA) organised the training in collaboration with the World Health Organisation (WHO). It aims to enhance journalists’ understanding of PrEP and other HIV prevention strategies and to improve public access to accurate information about HIV.

Adeleye stated that those relying on condoms for protection should be vigilant about correct usage, including selecting the right condom size and employing suitable lubricants.

He advised against the use of palm oil, vegetable oil, and other oil-based substances with condoms, recommending water-based lubricants instead.

PT WHATSAPP CHANNEL

“You can’t use palm oil, honey oil, balsamic, or vegetable oil. You can use water-based lubricants, which are advisable,” he said.

His caution aligns with international guidance on condom usage.

The United States Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (US-CDC) advises people using latex condoms to use water-based or silicone-based lubricants rather than oil-based products. The agency emphasises that oil-based lubricants can weaken condoms and lead to breakage.

Similarly, WHO says lubricants can reduce the likelihood of condoms breaking, slipping or falling off when used correctly.

Adeleye also underlined the importance of using condoms of the appropriate size.

He recommended that individuals take precautions before engaging in sexual activity and remain conscious of potential risks.

“I always advise men that when you are going to engage in sexual activity, you should also look around. When you are coming in here, you look at the room before you enter. You don’t just go into a place without knowing what is there,” he explained.

Condoms still crucial with PrEP

This discussion coincides with Nigeria’s expanding focus on preventing new HIV infections through multiple measures, including condoms, HIV testing, and PrEP.

PrEP is an HIV prevention method for individuals without HIV but at risk. It involves medication to reduce the chance of acquiring the virus.

However, PrEP does not guard against other sexually transmitted infections or unintended pregnancies. WHO recommends that condoms and lubricants continue to be part of HIV prevention services along with PrEP.

READ ALSO: Condom prices set to rise globally, may affect Nigeria

Nigeria is also seeking to strengthen its HIV prevention response. In March, NACA launched the National HIV Prevention Plan 2026–2030, shifting greater attention towards preventing new infections rather than relying primarily on treatment after infection.

New infections

Despite progress in expanding treatment and prevention services, Nigeria continues to see thousands of new HIV infections, according to NACA’s Director-General, Temitope Ilori.

Ilori stated that about 45,000 new infections were recorded last year, with concerns about infections among young people.

“We have new infections coming up. There were about 45,000 new infections as of last year. We’re still gathering information regarding this year,” she said.

She highlighted that these figures reinforce the need to strengthen prevention efforts, noting that while approximately 1.3 per cent of the general population live with HIV, over 98 per cent are HIV-negative.

She asserted that Nigeria’s response should focus on preventing new infections while ensuring that those living with HIV have access to treatment.

Ilori identified condoms and PrEP among the key HIV prevention options, emphasising that individuals should adopt prevention methods suitable for their circumstances and level of risk.


Discover more from Premium Times Nigeria

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Continue Reading

Trending