Connect with us

News

Nigerian-born Antonio Nusa Set To Leave RB Leipzig Of Germany For £51m; As Offers Come From Arsenal, Tottenham, Newcastle

info

Published

on

WhatsApp Image 2026 07 11 at 1.39.43 PM.jpeg

Norway’s Nigerian-born winger, Antonio Eromonsele Nusa could be off in a sensational £51m transfer this summer from RB Leipzig of Germany to a top club in the English Premier League, just a year after arriving from Club Brugge of Belgium for only £18m.

Sports247 gathered that this is sequel to interest expressed in the fast-rising youngster by Newcastle United as well as the London-based duo of Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur, who have all been impressed by Nusa’s exploits at the ongoing FIFA World Cup.

Read Also: Chukwueze Has Truly Great Qualities To Be In Our Team, Says AC Milan’s Coach Ruben Amorim | Sports247 Nigeria

Although his impact with The Vikings has largely been overshadowed by the lethal quality of Norway’s top player, Erling Haaland, Nusa, who earlier notched a wonder goal during the group stage of this year’s Mundial, is rated high due to his equally effective ability on both wings.

Fondly hailed as ‘Neymar of Norway,’ Nusa is also renowned for his explosive pace and direct playing style, while also providing a significant threat on the counter-attack, which has endeared him to Arsenal, Spurs and Newcastle, as the EPL trio look to outbid one another in their race to snatch the mulatto lad.

A featurised survey and report by Tribal Football revealed, “Arsenal and Tottenham have joined Newcastle in the race to sign him. Spurs were previously interested in him before he went to Leipzig, of course.

“The Magpies would appear to be the most desperate to get Nusa to put pen to paper, having lost Anthony Gordon to Barcelona. Not to mention Sandro Tonali’s departure to Tottenham and the potentially devastating consequences of Bruno Guimaraes wanting to move to Arsenal.

“The North London duo haven’t been put off by the rumoured £51m transfer fee that his current employers RB Leipzig have put on his head. That would represent a healthy profit for the Bundesliga outfit, which signed the 21-year-old from Club Brugge in August 2024 for just £18m.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Battle to stop Tinubu is battle of no retreat, no surrender – Melaye

info

Published

on

By

Melaye.jpeg

Senator Dino Melaye, a chieftain of the African Democratic Congress (ADC) in Kogi State, has criticised President Bola Tinubu’s decision to serve as chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Presidential Campaign Council for the 2027 election.

Melaye insisted that the campaign to prevent Tinubu’s re-election must continue with renewed determination despite his many strategies.

He spoke in a video posted on his official X account on Sunday, questioning the decision to have Tinubu serve as both the APC presidential candidate and chairman of his campaign council.

“This is the first time in the history of the universe and the entire world that a presidential candidate of a political party will double as the chairman of the presidential campaign council for his own election,” Melaye said.

He described the arrangement as “disgraceful”, alleging that it showed a lack of confidence within the ruling party.

“It shows they are jittery. It shows they are afraid,” he said.

Melaye also criticised the size and structure of the campaign council, describing it as “very, very, very bogus” and alleging that some committees and positions had been duplicated.

The ADC chieftain further questioned the reported appointment of Zacch Adedeji, chairman of the Nigerian Revenue Service (NRS), formerly the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS), to a fundraising position in Tinubu’s campaign council.

“The chairman of FIRS is the deputy director in charge of fundraising of presidential campaign of Tinubu,” Melaye alleged.

He argued that the appointment could create a conflict of interest because the NRS chairman is a public official responsible for revenue collection.

“Is there no conflict in this? As a lawyer, by the grace of God, on Monday I’m going to court. We have to test that,” he said.

Melaye said he would challenge the matter in court, arguing that public officials are expected to comply with the provisions of the Public Service Rules.

“If that is not conflict of interest, I don’t know what else it would be,” he said.

He vowed to continue opposing Tinubu’s re-election bid, declaring that “the battle to stop Tinubu is a battle of no retreat, no surrender.”

Melaye described the development as “a big shame” and “a disgrace” as political parties intensify preparations for the 2027 presidential election.

Continue Reading

News

Two years after launch, Walmart’s Flipkart is closing in on India’s quick-commerce leaders

info

Published

on

By

Flipkart minutes.jpg

Indian startups spent years getting consumers accustomed to having groceries and everyday goods delivered within minutes. Now Walmart-owned Flipkart is rapidly closing the gap with those quick-commerce pioneers, as global rival Amazon mounts its own push into instant delivery.

Flipkart Minutes, which debuted in August 2024 as the e-commerce giant’s foray into quick commerce, is now delivering 1.1 million to 1.2 million orders a day, up from about 390,000 to 400,000 in November, people familiar with the matter told TechCrunch. That puts the two-year-old service close to Swiggy’s Instamart, which is delivering about 1.4 million orders a day, according to a person familiar with its operations.

The gap is notable as Flipkart is a relative latecomer to a market whose top ranks have been dominated by Instamart, Blinkit, and Zepto. Food-delivery giant Swiggy launched Instamart in 2020 and Zepto arrived the following year, both during the pandemic, while Blinkit traces its roots to online grocery platform Grofers, founded in 2013. The three have since established themselves as India’s top quick-commerce players.

Blinkit continues to dominate the market with around 3.4 million to 3.6 million daily orders, followed by Zepto at about 2.4 million to 2.6 million, per recent estimates from market research firm Datum Intelligence. Flipkart is now rapidly narrowing the gap with Instamart, the smallest of the three established leaders by order volume.

Instamart still has substantial scale. Earlier this month, Swiggy said the quick commerce service has more than 14 million monthly transacting users and operates over 1,200 dark stores across over 130 cities. The company has also been narrowing Instamart’s contribution-margin losses, with more than 45% of its dark-store network now contribution-margin positive.

Nonetheless, Flipkart has fueled that growth with an aggressive expansion of its delivery infrastructure. Minutes now operates about 1,020 to 1,050 micro-fulfillment centers — essentially small warehouses located close to customers specially to handle quick deliveries — up from 600 in January and about 340 a year ago, one of the sources told TechCrunch. The company is adding around 100 such facilities a month, the source said, aiming to have 1,500 by the end of 2026.

Flipkart’s advantage goes beyond adding dark stores. The company can tap an enormous pool of existing e-commerce customers it has already spent years and billions of dollars acquiring, giving Minutes a ready audience for faster deliveries, Satish Meena, an adviser at Datum Intelligence, told TechCrunch.

“Flipkart is already a serious player,” Meena said. “Once you open 1,000 dark stores and [are] doing a million orders per day, it’s serious enough.”

Minutes is also seeing customers return and shop more frequently. About 65% to 70% of customers making purchases on the service each month are repeat buyers, while transactions per customer have increased 50% to 60% from a year earlier, people familiar with the matter said.

Those customers are spending an average of about ₹400 to ₹500 (about $4.20–$5.20) per order, with fruits and vegetables, staples, dairy, and meat among the fast-growing categories, the sources said. Flipkart is also expanding its selection of higher-end gourmet products, including organic and artisanal items, as it looks to capture more of customers’ spending on Minutes.

Even as Minutes has expanded, its average delivery time has fallen to about 11 minutes, from 13 minutes a year ago, one of the sources told TechCrunch.

A battle for India’s shoppers

Flipkart’s growth comes as quick commerce takes a bigger role in how Indians shop online, even as broader consumer demand has shown signs of weakness. In a recent report, Bernstein analysts said while the country’s consumption growth softened in July, a shift toward quick commerce and e-commerce continued, with quick-commerce platforms recording healthy growth in monthly active users.

Similar to Flipkart, Amazon is striving to gain its share in the Indian quick-commerce market. The Seattle-based company has been expanding Amazon Now, its quick-commerce service, as it seeks to bring the instant-delivery model to its existing e-commerce customer base.

During CEO Andy Jassy’s visit to India in June, Amazon stated that Now became its fastest-growing business in India, with orders doubling every quarter since launch. The company also laid out plans to take the service to more than 300 cities and set up a network of more than 1,000 micro-fulfilment centers, alongside larger facilities aimed at expanding the range of products it can deliver within minutes.

Amazon, Flipkart, Swiggy, Zepto, and Blinkit parent Eternal did not respond to requests for comment.

The quick commerce expansion is increasingly defensive as well as offensive for both Flipkart and Amazon, Meena told TechCrunch. As consumers grow accustomed to receiving certain purchases almost immediately, the e-commerce giants risk losing those transactions to specialist quick-commerce platforms if they cannot offer comparable speed.

“Can you go back to scheduled delivery now in grocery? No,” Meena said. “You will not go back.”

When you purchase through links in our articles, we may earn a small commission. This doesn’t affect our editorial independence.

Continue Reading

Trending