Connect with us

News

You’ve derailed Plateau development in eight years, Jang knocks Lalong

editor

Published

on

Jonah Jang

A former Governor of Plateau state, Jonah Jang on Monday criticized the outgoing administration led by Governor Simon Lalong saying that the outgoing governor had derailed the state development in the last eight years

Jang also urged the Governor-elect, Caleb Mutfwang not to spare any efforts in rebuilding the state when he assumes office on May 29.

The former Governor was reacting to a series of last minutes activities of Lalong’s administration including the commissioning of some projects preparatory to his exit in power.

In a statement on Monday signed by his Media Consultant, Clinton Garuba, the former Governor lamented that the state of governance had nosedived in the state under Lalong’s watch in the past eight years to the extent that “one would not envy the incoming administration for the enormity of work that it has to do in rebuilding the people’s trust in Government, its programmes and policies”.

Jang said “At a time when sections of the state have come under attacks from people hell-bent on waging genocide on the people, the Government is rather hurriedly commissioning projects, some of which it even inherited as ongoing projects of the Jang administration to cover for 8 years of nothingness. Perhaps the government realized too late in the day that it had pursued personal political gains to the detriment of the general well-being of the State and is in a hurry to claim that it at least did something when in fact did almost nothing ”

The former Governor further said “Every Plateau citizen knows that since the return of democracy in 1999, no government has paid attention to roads and infrastructure like the Jang administration. If Lalong and those who have failed to advise him on the need to be truthful as a leader think that they built Jos, the Plateau State capital from its foundation, let them continue to live in delusion. The outcome of the elections is a testimony to their performance in the last 8 years. Had they done better, Plateau people would have said so through the ballot box. Having failed, the best thing would be to quietly leave and continue with the lobby for appointment at the federal level where he had spent years of servitude abandoning the state to suffer a lack of leadership and governance.

“For now, the Lalong administration should concentrate on clearing their tables as it is only a few days to the handover and the prayer on the lips of many a plateau person is, “May Lalong and this type of administration never happen to us again.”

Senator Jang commiserates with all the grieving communities and joins in wishing that the swearing-in of the coming administration will bring succor to the people and return the state to the path to progress and development”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

IASC Above45: ‘I Took After Rashidi Yekini’ – Jokesman Reveals

info

Published

on

By

WhatsApp Image 2026 08 17 at 2.03.09 PM.jpeg

Barrister Chijioke Iziolu Jokesman has attributed his impressive goalscoring instincts to confidence, discipline, and the influence of late Nigerian striker Rashidi Yekini, following another standout performance in the Island All Stars Above 45 Football Tournament.

Jokesman was on target again for his team, producing another quality finish despite carrying a groin injury that had already affected him in the opening game of the tournament.

Read Also: Philips Moses: “Island All Stars Can Build a Formidable Club With Veterans Above 60” | Sports247 Nigeria

Reflecting on the encounter, the veteran attacker described it as an interesting contest, while admitting that his team was missing several key players.

“It was a very interesting game even though most of our players were not around. Our midfield wasn’t together, but we give God the glory for the result,” he told SPORTS247.

Jokesman also stressed the importance of sportsmanship, insisting that football should always be played in the right spirit.

“Most of my goals are classy goals, but it is just a game. Fair play is what we preach in every game,” he added.

The experienced forward revealed that his groin problem from the first match had not completely healed before he featured again.

“In the first game, I had a groin after scoring. I tried to manage it but was substituted. Today, the groin wasn’t fully healed, but I wanted and needed to play,” he explained.

The injury returned after he scored, forcing another substitution. Jokesman believes his absence subsequently affected his team’s attacking threat but remains optimistic about returning fully fit for future competitions.

“I pray that by the next tournament, my leg will be perfectly okay, and you will see what we can do,” he said.

‘I Took After Rashidi Yekini’

Asked about the thinking behind what has been described as one of the best goals of the tournament, Jokesman revealed his confidence in his positioning and finishing ability.

“I knew once my positioning was right, the ball would enter the back of the net. I’m a good striker and confident with my abilities if there are people to feed me with the ball,” he said.

Drawing comparisons with Nigeria’s legendary goalscorer, Jokesman added: “I think I took after Rashidi Yekini. I believe strongly that an attacker must be able to shoot.”

He explained that his ability to strike with both feet remains one of his major strengths.

“My strength is in my shot, and I make use of both feet — left and right. Once the ball is right, I can strike from any angle,” he stated.

At almost 54, Jokesman believes his longevity is a product of discipline and urged younger footballers to maintain healthy lifestyles, train properly, and avoid habits that could undermine their careers.

He advised aspiring strikers to embrace discipline, self-restraint, proper training, and adequate rest, insisting that with the right attitude, “the sky is your limit.”

Continue Reading

Business

NGX Trading Volume Surges 127% as Investors Exchange ₦176.06bn in One Week

info

Published

on

By

Trading activity on the nations bourse recorded a sharp increase in the week ended August 14, 2026, as investors exchanged 12.153 billion shares valued at ₦176.058 billion across 224,146 deals.

The performance represents a 126.8 percent increase in traded volume compared with the 5.359 billion shares worth ₦139.053 billion exchanged in 261,869 deals in the previous week. Turnover value also increased by 26.6 percent, while the number of deals declined by about 14.4 percent.

The increase in activity was also reflected in other trading indicators. Market depth improved to 27.76 percent from 21.67 percent in the previous week, while average daily value traded rose to ₦35.21 billion from ₦27.81 billion.

The Financial Services Industry dominated market activity, accounting for 11.212 billion shares valued at ₦88.991 billion across 102,246 deals. The sector contributed 92.25 percent of total equity turnover by volume and 50.55 percent by value.

The Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Industry followed with 246.127 million shares worth ₦51.605 billion traded in 27,169 deals, while the Services Industry ranked third with 198.195 million shares valued at ₦1.995 billion across 13,747 deals.

Activity was particularly concentrated in three equities; Fortis Global Insurance Plc, Cornerstone Insurance Plc and Consolidated Hallmark Holdings Plc. The trio accounted for 9.488 billion shares worth ₦36.219 billion in 1,781 deals, representing 78.07 percent of total equity turnover volume and 20.57 percent of turnover value for the week.

The fixed-income segment also recorded increased activity, with investors trading 232,979 units valued at ₦226.258 million in 35 deals, compared with 117,372 units worth ₦121.249 million in the previous week.

In the Exchange Traded Products segment, 2.346 million units valued at ₦501.051 million were traded across 5,291 deals.

Despite the surge in trading activity, the broader equities market closed lower as investors took profits following recent gains. The NGX All-Share Index declined by 1.20 percent to 242,619.20 points, while market capitalisation fell by 1.19 percent to ₦156.624 trillion.

Market breadth, however, showed some improvement. 26 equities appreciated during the week, unchanged from the previous week, while the number of declining equities eased to 59 from 63. 62 equities closed unchanged, compared with 58 in the preceding week.

The market breadth ratio consequently improved to 0.69x from 0.62x in the previous week, indicating a narrower gap between gainers and decliners despite the decline in the benchmark index.

Trans-Nationwide Express Plc led the gainers’ chart with a 32.09 percent increase, followed by International Energy Insurance Plc, which advanced 31.68 percent, and Sovereign Trust Insurance Plc, which gained 13.77 percent. On the other side, AVA Capital Plc topped the losers’ chart with a 34.55 percent decline, followed by Unilever Nigeria Plc, down 18.94 percent, and Zichis Agro Allied Industries Plc, which shed 15.08 percent.

Meanwhile, Lasaco Assurance Plc expanded its share capital following the listing of 9.236 billion additional ordinary shares on the NGX Daily Official List on Wednesday, August 12, 2026.

The additional shares arose from the company’s rights issue of five new ordinary shares for every six existing shares held as of February 20, 2026. Following the listing, Lasaco Assurance’s issued and fully paid-up share capital increased from 11.084 billion shares to 20.320 billion ordinary shares of 50 kobo each.

Despite the week’s moderation, the broader market remains firmly positive for the year, with the NGX All-Share Index recording a year-to-date return of 55.91 percent as of August 14.

Sectoral performance has been even stronger in parts of the market, with the NGX Oil and Gas Index up 94.81 percent year-to-date, followed by the NGX Premium Index at 85.14 percent and the NGX Industrial Goods Index at 82.84 percent, underscoring the strength of the market’s gains despite the week’s profit-taking.

The post NGX Trading Volume Surges 127% as Investors Exchange ₦176.06bn in One Week appeared first on Business Today NG.

Continue Reading

Trending