Connect with us

News

Flooding: Plateau govt expands waterways, clears drainage systems

info

Published

on

Plateau State logo.png

The Plateau Environmental Protection and Sanitation Agency (PEPSA) has intensified efforts towards clearing drainage systems and expanding waterways across the Jos-Bukuru metropolis to avert urban flooding.

The Director-General of PEPSA, Samuel Dapiya, said on Monday that the intervention followed recurring flash floods caused largely by blocked drainage channels resulting from indiscriminate waste disposal.

According to him, although heavy rainfalls are seasonal, many flooding incidents in the metropolis were worsened by human activities that obstruct the free flow of rainwater.

Mr Dapiya said the agency had desilted and cleared drainage channels from Miango junction to Educare Private School to improve water flow and minimise flooding.

He added that the agency would continue to monitor the affected areas after subsequent rainfall to determine whether additional engineering or environmental measures would be required.

The PEPSA boss also said personnel and equipment had been deployed to Lugard Road by UTC, where a blocked culvert had forced floodwater onto the road, causing traffic congestion and posing risks to motorists, businesses and other road users.

He attributed the blockage to indiscriminate dumping of refuse into drainage channels by residents, motorists and business owners.

“Our assessment revealed that plastic bottles, nylon materials, food waste, cartons and other refuse accumulated in the culvert over time, preventing the free flow of water,” he said.

Mr Dapiya said blocked drainage systems often resulted in flooded roads, damaged homes and businesses, destruction of public infrastructure, traffic disruption, environmental pollution and increased public health risks.

He noted that clearing blocked drainage channels required significant public resources that could otherwise be channelled into development projects.

The DG urged residents to dispose of waste only at designated collection points and refrain from dumping refuse into drainage systems, culverts, waterways and open spaces.

He also called on members of the public to report anyone found disposing of refuse in drainage channels or other unauthorised locations to PEPSA or the relevant authorities.

Mr Dapiya reaffirmed the agency’s commitment to protecting lives, property, and the environment through sustained environmental sanitation and flood-prevention measures.

He stressed that effective environmental protection required the collective efforts of government and residents.

“Protecting the environment is a shared responsibility. By disposing of waste properly, residents can help reduce flooding, protect public infrastructure and promote a cleaner and healthier Plateau,” he said.

 (NAN)



Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Akor Adams Sets Early Serie A Mark, Tracks Nigeria’s Greats’ Scoring Records

info

Published

on

By

WhatsApp Image 2026 08 17 at 5.13.15 PM.jpeg

Akor Adams could hardly have imagined a more impressive introduction to Italian football.

On a night when Venezia required inspiration, the Super Eagles striker delivered in emphatic fashion, scoring twice and providing an assist as his new club came from 2–1 down to defeat Modena 3–2 in the Coppa Italia.

Read Also: Osimhen Arsenal Move: The Only Stumbling Block Traveled as EPL Dream Hangs in Balance | Sports247 Nigeria

It was more than a debut.

It was a statement.

Adams, who arrived from Sevilla in a reported €16 million deal that could rise with add-ons, demonstrated why Venezia identified him as a key figure in their plans ahead of their return to Serie A.

The Nigerian opened the scoring in the 26th minute before Modena turned the match around. However, rather than fade from the contest, Adams remained central to Venezia’s response.

He later set up John Yeboah for the equaliser before completing the comeback himself with a second goal in the 85th minute.

In total, Adams contributed directly to all three Venezia goals.

A highly encouraging introduction to Italian football.

Adams Has Already Sent a Warning

While the Coppa Italia is not Serie A, the performance has immediately heightened expectations regarding what Adams could deliver once the league campaign begins.

The 26-year-old arrives in Italy with a point to prove.

Having previously played in Norway, France and Spain, his move to Venezia represents another opportunity to establish himself in one of Europe’s most competitive leagues.

There is also a compelling narrative developing.

Adams is not merely beginning a new chapter; he is joining a distinguished line of Nigerian forwards who have left their mark on Serie A.

The benchmarks are significant.

The Nigerian Serie A Record Adams Is Chasing

For many years, Obafemi Martins set the standard for Nigerian strikers in Italy.

The former Inter Milan forward scored 28 Serie A goals in 88 appearances, establishing himself as one of the country’s most effective attackers in the competition.

Simy Nwankwo later surpassed that tally, finishing his Serie A career with 31 goals in 101 appearances. His standout campaign came in 2020/21, when he scored 19 league goals for Crotone despite the club’s relegation.

Victor Osimhen then redefined the record entirely.

The Napoli striker registered 65 Serie A goals in 108 appearances, becoming Nigeria’s all-time leading scorer in the Italian top flight.

Adams therefore faces a considerable challenge.

However, every record begins with a first goal.

He has already scored two—before even making his Serie A debut.

The Numbers Nigerian Strikers Left Behind

Nigeria’s leading Serie A scorers include:

Victor Osimhen — 65 goals

Simy Nwankwo — 31 goals

Obafemi Martins — 28 goals

Stephen Makinwa — 16 goals

Victor Obinna — 14 goals

These figures highlight the scale of the task ahead for Adams.

There is, however, a more immediate benchmark within reach.

Before Simy’s 19-goal season, Martins’ 11 goals in the 2004/05 campaign stood as the highest single-season tally by a Nigerian in Serie A. Simy later raised that standard to 19.

That may represent Adams’ first realistic target.

Beyond that lies progression: double figures, then 15, and potentially beyond.

Why Adams Could Be Different

Adams offers an intriguing profile for Venezia.

He combines physical presence and aerial strength with the ability to operate effectively inside the penalty area. His debut against Modena also suggested he can contribute beyond finishing.

His assist for Yeboah demonstrated creative awareness, while his two goals underlined the clinical edge Venezia will rely on from their leading striker.

Such versatility could prove valuable in Serie A, where forwards are often required to operate against disciplined defensive structures and experienced centre-backs.

Early indications are promising.

However, the true test will come with the demands of weekly Serie A competition.

From Debut Impact to Serie A Consistency

There is always a risk of overinterpretation following a standout cup performance.

Adams will be aware of that reality.

One exceptional performance can announce a striker; sustained consistency defines him.

For now, though, the Nigerian has given Venezia supporters exactly what they hoped for: goals, energy, and a glimpse of his potential.

A broader narrative is also emerging.

His progress in Italy will inevitably be measured against the standards set by Martins, Simy, and particularly Osimhen.

The record remains distant.

But after a debut featuring two goals, an assist, and a decisive role in a 3–2 comeback victory, Akor Adams has made an early and convincing statement.

Serie A now has another Nigerian striker to follow closely.

Continue Reading

News

Insecurity: NDC demands urgent action over IED threat in Zamfara

info

Published

on

By

Nigeria Democratic Party NDC.jpg

The Zamfara State chapter of the Nigeria Democratic Congress, NDC, has condemned the reported planting of an Improvised Explosive Device, IED, by suspected bandits along the Gurusu-Gwashi Road in Bukkuyum Local Government Area of the state.

The party made its position known in a statement issued by its Publicity Secretary, Alkasimu Mustapha Kayatawa, describing the development as a dangerous escalation of the security challenges confronting the state.

📱 Continue reading on the Daily Post app →
Free • No sign-up • Read the full story in the app

Continue Reading

Trending