The 2027 Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC) presidential candidate, Peter Obi, has strongly condemned the spate of deadly attacks recorded in Benue, Plateau and Niger states.
This was just as he warned that Nigeria must not be allowed to degenerate into a “killing field.”
Obi, who expressed concerns over the worsening security situation across the country, said the recent attacks in the three North-Central states were evidence of a broader national security crisis that required urgent and coordinated action from the government.
In a statement posted on his X handle on Sunday, the former Anambra State governor questioned the continued killings of Nigerians in their communities despite the absence of a formal war.
“What is happening to our country?” Obi asked, noting that deadly attacks had recently struck Benue, Plateau and Niger, with communities reportedly subjected to killings, abductions, destruction of homes and the loss of farmlands.
He cited reports of the attack in Jwak Maitumbi, Mangu Local Government Area of Plateau State, where at least 23 people were officially reported killed, while residents reportedly put the death toll above 30. More than 45 houses were also said to have been destroyed.
Obi also referred to reported attacks in Borgu, Niger State, where more than 40 people were allegedly killed and over 100 abducted, although he acknowledged that the figures remained contested.
The NDC presidential hopeful said the situation was compounded by the continuing violence in Benue, where communities have repeatedly faced attacks, abductions and the destruction of homes and livelihoods.
According to him, the violence in the three states should no longer be treated as isolated incidents, stressing that similar attacks were occurring in other parts of the country, with some incidents allegedly going unreported.
“Why is Nigeria not officially at war, yet citizens are being attacked in their villages, abducted after prayers, driven from their homes and stripped of their farms?” he queried.
Obi called on the Federal Government, state governments and other relevant authorities to urgently strengthen security measures, improve intelligence gathering and enhance rapid-response capabilities.
He also demanded the rescue of abducted Nigerians and the arrest and prosecution of those responsible for the attacks.
“We cannot keep counting bodies after every attack. We must prevent these attacks before they happen,” he said.
The former governor added that the protection of lives and property remained the most fundamental responsibility of government, insisting that Nigerians deserved effective protection from armed attacks.
His comments came against the backdrop of a deadly attack in Plateau State, where no fewer than 26 people were reportedly killed in Binper community, Mangu Local Government Area.
The attack, which residents said occurred between midnight on Monday and the early hours of Tuesday, August 18, involved heavily armed assailants who reportedly moved from house to house, forcing their way into homes and attacking residents while they slept.
An eyewitness, Daniel Musa, said more than 26 deaths had been confirmed by Tuesday morning, while several others sustained serious injuries and some residents remained missing.
Phone file: Gunmen
“Our village came under attack last night and in the early hours of today, Tuesday, by heavily armed persons. They were moving from house to house, opening the doors of people who were sleeping and slaughtering them,” Musa reportedly said.
Another resident, John Dalyop, described the attack as “terrible” and called on the newly appointed Commissioner of Police in the state to swiftly track down those responsible.
Dalyop said the government needed to strengthen security around vulnerable communities in Mangu and other parts of Plateau State.
Victims who sustained injuries were reportedly taken to nearby hospitals, while community leaders and residents began efforts to account for those still missing.
Security personnel were subsequently deployed to the community to restore calm and prevent further attacks.
The Senior Special Assistant to the President on Grassroots Sports Development, Hon. Adeyinka Anthony Adeboye, has reaffirmed the Federal Government’s commitment to delivering a successful maiden National Intermediate Games, describing the competition as a major step in building a stronger and more deliberate pathway from grassroots sport to elite competition.
Adeboye made the remarks on Saturday during another round of facility inspections in Lagos ahead of the Games, scheduled for October 1 to 15, 2026.
Representing the Director General of the National Sports Commission at the inspection, the SSA joined the Head of Grassroots Development, Niyi Beyioku, members of the Main Organising Committee (MOC), Local Organising Committee (LOC) and other officials to assess facilities and strengthen preparations for the historic competition.
The inspection began at the Teslim Balogun Stadium, Surulere, where the team examined the stadium turf, indoor sports hall and other facilities earmarked for the Games.
The delegation subsequently inspected the National Stadium Complex, National Institute for Sports (NIS), Rowe Park Sports Centre, Yaba College of Technology, University of Lagos sports facilities and hostels, Elegbata Sports Centre, the Cricket Oval at Tafawa Balewa Square, and Mobolaji Johnson Arena, which is being considered for the Opening and Closing Ceremonies.
For Adeboye, the inspection was not merely about checking venues ahead of a competition. He said it was part of the broader responsibility of ensuring that Nigeria begins to build a credible sporting pathway for young athletes.
“The National Intermediate Games is not just another competition. It is about the future of Nigerian sports. We are creating a platform where young talents can be identified, properly assessed, developed and given the opportunity to progress to the next level.”
He stressed that grassroots sports development must be supported by proper infrastructure, effective organisation and regular opportunities for young athletes to compete.
“Talent is everywhere in Nigeria. What has been missing in many cases is the structure and opportunity to take that talent from discovery to development. This is why the Intermediate Games are very important to us.”
The SSA commended the MOC and LOC for the work being done across the various venues and expressed confidence that continued collaboration between the National Sports Commission, Lagos State Government, sporting institutions and other stakeholders would produce a successful Games.
Following the facility tour, the MOC and LOC held a technical meeting to review operational, technical and logistical matters and identify areas requiring further attention before the arrival of athletes.
A total of 28 sports have been pencilled down for the maiden edition, with athletes expected to arrive from October 1, ahead of the Opening Ceremony on October 5.
The Games are designed for athletes in the Under-19 category, providing a crucial competitive platform for young athletes at a formative stage of their sporting careers.
Participants will come from all 36 states of the Federation and the Federal Capital Territory, while Nigerian athletes in the diaspora will also participate as a single contingent.
Adeboye said the inclusion of athletes from across the country would make the Games an important national talent pool and provide the opportunity to discover athletes who could eventually represent Nigeria at continental and global competitions.
“We want the boy or girl competing in a community today to know that there is a pathway. From grassroots competitions, to the Intermediate Games, to the National Sports Festival and ultimately to the national teams — that pathway must be clear.”
He added that the success of the Games would depend not only on the medals won but also on what happens to the young athletes after the competition.
“The real measure of success will be what we do with the talents we discover. We must not discover them and leave them behind. We have to develop them, support them and create the next stage of their journey.”
The SSA therefore called for continued cooperation among governments, sports federations, schools, clubs, private-sector partners and other stakeholders to ensure that the Games become a sustainable component of Nigeria’s long-term sports development strategy.
The inspection and subsequent technical meeting underline the determination of the organisers to ensure that the inaugural National Intermediate Games are delivered to a high standard, with athlete welfare, facility readiness, safety and effective competition management given priority.
Delta State Commissioner for Works and Public Information, Charles Aniagwu, has said that former Deputy Senate President, Ovie Omo-Agege, lacks campaign ideas.
Aniagwu made this assertion on Sunday when he featured in an interview on Arise Television.
According to him, on Omo-Agege’s first day of campaigning, instead of telling the people his plans to be able to win the Delta Central senatorial seat, he left that agenda to allege that Governor Sheriff Oborevwori was threatening to eliminate him.
Omo-Agege had said that there was a threat to his life and members of his family from the Delta State Government House in Asaba.
He asked the Nigerian public, the international community, civil society organisations, the media and security agencies to take note of the alleged threats.
“I note with grave concern the disturbing and increasingly credible threats to my life and my family members in Delta State emanating from the Delta State Government House, Asaba,” the ex-deputy Senate President had said.
Reacting to the allegation, the commissioner, Aniagwu, said, “Omo-Agege is trying to mention our names so that he can have a cheap way to come to the media.
“What we have observed is that a number of these persons like himself lacks campaign ideas against Governor Oborevwori. They’re not even on the same ballot.
“Our governor doesn’t go around making threats. Looking at the last three and half years, you can see the amount of safety and tranquility we have in Delta.”