Connect with us

News

Gunmen abduct ex-military officer’s brother in Plateau

editor

Published

on

Suspected  Gunmen on Monday 3rd October abducted a well-known community leader, Gashon Leks, who is also the elder brother of the retired military officer, Air Vice Marshal Leks in the Daika community, Panyam district, Mangu Local Government Area of Plateau State.

Some residents of Daika Community who spoke to newsmen in Jos on Wednesday 5th October lamented the kidnap of the community leader, saying that they had reported the ugly development to the security agents.

One of the residents, Mathew Chai told our correspondent that the retired military officer’s brother was at his compound in the Daika community when the kidnappers stormed the village around 10 pm on Monday and took him away to an unknown destination while scaring residents with gunshots.

Chai said, “We have not seen the man since he was taken away by gunmen. His name is Mr. Gashon Leks. The man is into farming and other businesses and he is the elder brother of Air Vice Marshal Leks.

“The incident happened on Monday night around 10 pm. The kidnappers who came were many because they spread themselves across the village and released several gunshots before they went away with their target.

“Since that Monday, nobody knows the whereabouts of the kidnapped victim. It is only this morning (Wednesday) that the kidnappers allowed him to speak with the family members and I learned that they were yet to demand any ransom.

“There has been disquiet in the community because the man has some health challenges before his kidnap and the villagers are really worried over his whereabouts”

When contacted, the spokesman for the Plateau State Police Command, Alabo Alfred, denied knowledge of the kidnap incident.

He said, “I’m not aware of the kidnap of the Retired Military Officer’s brother in Mangu LGA. The matter has not been reported to my office. But I will call the DPO in the area to find out the situation of things regarding the incident and get back to you”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

PDP Fixes Date to Screen Jonathan as Sole Presidential Aspirant for 2027 Election

info

Published

on

By

Images 2026 05 11T071039.385 1.jpeg

Former President Goodluck Jonathan is expected to face the screening committee of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, on Tuesday as the sole presidential aspirant under the Tanimu Turaki-led faction of the party ahead of the 2027 general elections.

The development comes amid growing political activities within the opposition party as different blocs continue moves to reposition the PDP before the next presidential election.

Reports indicated that the screening panel for Jonathan would include former Vice President Namadi Sambo, former Plateau State governor Jonah Jang, and former Minister of Foreign Affairs Tom Ikimi, alongside other senior party figures.

Jonathan’s planned screening followed confirmation last week by the party’s National Publicity Secretary, Ini Ememobong, that the former president had successfully completed his membership registration through the party’s fresh digital registration exercise introduced in line with directives from the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC.

The PDP faction aligned with Oyo State governor, Seyi Makinde, also announced an extensive screening exercise for aspirants seeking various elective positions across the country.

According to the party, 748 aspirants contesting for seats in the House of Representatives would be screened, while 198 senatorial aspirants and 112 governorship aspirants are also expected to appear before different screening committees.

The party further disclosed that 2,122 aspirants for state Houses of Assembly positions would undergo screening in their respective states beginning from Tuesday.

In a statement published on the party’s official Facebook page on Sunday, the PDP confirmed that “one presidential aspirant” would also participate in the nationwide screening exercise scheduled to begin at 10:00 am on May 19, 2026.

Continue Reading

Business

EXCLUSIVE: Boko Haram convict bagged degree during life sentence for church bombing

info

Published

on

By

IMG 20260517 WA0022.jpg

Kabiru Umar, also known as Kabiru Sokoto, who was convicted over the 2011 Christmas Day bombing linked to Boko Haram, has earned a Biology degree while serving his prison sentence, his lawyers said in one of the documents shared with PREMIUM TIMES.

In a press statement announcing Mr Sokoto’s appeal against his 2013 conviction, his legal team said he remained committed to “personal growth and rehabilitation” during incarceration, noting that he successfully obtained a Biology degree from the National Open University of Nigeria.

The statement, dated 14 May and signed by Lagos-based law firm Don Akaegbu & Company, described the achievement as evidence of Mr Sokoto’s “continued effort toward self-improvement despite the circumstances.”

Kabiru Sokoto was convicted by the Federal High Court in Abuja on 20 December 2013.

However, his lawyers argued that the charges against him did not specifically accuse him of carrying out or masterminding the bombing of St. Theresa’s Catholic Church in Madalla, Niger State, which killed about 35 worshippers and injured several others on Christmas Day in 2011.

PT WHATSAPP CHANNEL

According to the lawyers, the relevant charge alleged that Mr Sokoto had prior information about the attack and failed to disclose it to security agencies. They said the distinction between direct participation and alleged prior knowledge forms a key issue in the appeal now before the Court of Appeal.

The appeal, filed after what the lawyers described as delays caused by circumstances beyond Mr Sokoto’s control, challenges the admissibility and credibility of the evidence used to secure his conviction. Among these challenges, they said, include deaths of his two previous lawyers, repeated custodial transfers and his family’s severe “financial constraints.”

The legal team also questioned whether the trial court properly evaluated the defence presented during the proceedings.

The lawyers urged the public to allow the judicial process to run its course, insisting that criminal responsibility should be determined strictly on the basis of evidence presented in court rather than public perception.

READ ALSO: Boko Haram convict Kabiru Sokoto appeals 2013 life sentence for Catholic church bombing near Abuja

Kabiru Sokoto was initially arrested on 14 January 2012 at the Borno State Governor’s Lodge in Asokoro, Abuja, alongside a serving military officer. He was then taken to Abaji (also in Abuja) by police officers investigating the case to search a house believed to be owned by him.

He escaped from police custody, leading to the suspension and house arrest of Zakari Biu, then-head of the Zone 7 Police Command in Abuja, overseeing Boko Haram investigations at the Criminal Investigation Department. Before the incident, Mr Biu supervised the team that lost Mr Sokoto and was detained at an undisclosed location, alongside other junior police officers involved in the case.

The escape also prompted then-President Goodluck Jonathan to issue a 24-hour ultimatum to the then-Inspector General of Police (IGP) Hafiz Ringim, to produce the Boko Haram suspect. Mr Ringim failed to do so and was later retired.

The State Security Services (SSS) said Kabiru Sokoto was re-arrested in February 2012, following what it described as a gunfight between its operatives and members of his gang in Taraba Satet.

He was subsequently sentenced by the Federal High Court in Abuja on 20 December 2013. The suspected terror kingpin was sentenced on two terrorism charges, including one punishable with life imprisonment under Section 15(2) of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission Act 2004. The second charge attracted 10 years’ imprisonment under Section 7(1) under Terrorism Act, 2011.


Continue Reading

Trending