Connect with us

News

Angry mob lynches, burns young man over alleged motorcycle theft in Kano

info

Published

on

Kano map.jpg

A young man identified as Ahmad Dankoli was reportedly lynched and his body set ablaze by an angry mob in Balare, Ajingi Local Government Area of Kano State, after he was accused of attempting to steal a motorcycle.

The incident occurred at about 9 pm on Sunday, coinciding with the community’s weekly market day.

The councillor representing Balare Ward, Shu’aibu Abdulmumin Yalo, confirmed the incident to Arewa Updates, saying the deceased was accused of attempting to steal the motorcycle of a trader who had come to the market.

“The crowd accused him of attempting to steal a motorcycle. Although he tried to escape, they caught up with him and set him on fire,” Yalo said.

According to the councillor, security personnel responded to the scene but were overwhelmed by the large crowd and could not stop the mob attack.

“Security operatives came to intervene, but the number of people at the scene was too much for them to control,” he added.

Yalo noted that the market had witnessed several cases of motorcycle theft in recent months, a development he said may have fuelled the mob’s reaction.

The deceased was said to be a well-known social media supporter of the New Nigeria Peoples Party’s Kwankwasiyya movement.

The incident comes less than two weeks after another mob in Maraban Jos, Kaduna State, allegedly burnt a woman, Ummulkhairi, to death over accusations of child theft.

Authorities later said the allegation was false, sparking renewed concerns over the growing trend of jungle justice across the country.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Election not do-or-die affair – Gov Bala Mohammed to politicians

info

Published

on

By

Bala Mohammed.jpg

Governor Bala Mohammed of Bauchi State has charged political actors not to treat election as a do-or-die affair.

Mohammed urged politicians to accept the results of elections in good faith and not see it as a do-or-die affair.

📱 Continue reading on the Daily Post app →
Free • No sign-up • Read the full story in the app

Continue Reading

News

Squash Ex-Pros In Diaspora Seek Wider Opportunities For Young Players

info

Published

on

By

IMG 20260817 WA0096.jpg

By Aderonke Ojo

Former Nigerian squash professionals in the diaspora have pledged stronger support for grassroots development of the sport, calling for sustained investment, wider competitions and greater international opportunities for young players.

The commitment was made at the closing ceremony of the seventh edition of the Squash in Diaspora Under-11, Under-13 and Under-17 Boys and Girls Junior Championship in Abuja.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the tournament held in Abuja for the first time after six editions in Lagos, attracted more than 100 young players from the FCT, Plateau and Kaduna States, among other parts of Northern Nigeria.

Haniel Hadison, Vice-President of the Nigeria Squash Federation (NSF) and tournament sponsor, described the initiative by former professionals in the diaspora as an important contribution to the development of squash in Nigeria.

“You can see that our stakeholders, the ex-professionals based abroad, are also making an effort to give back to the system.

“That is one very important aspect of continuing the developmental growth of squash in Nigeria,” he said.

He said almost 100 young players had been brought together through the tournament, adding that such initiatives would help keep children engaged in sports and provide a pathway for future national and international athletes.

“We have taken them off the streets, and that is the future of the nation through sports. The Federal Government cannot do this alone,” he said.

Hadison also commended the decision to move the tournament from Lagos to Abuja, saying it would help address the concentration of squash competitions in the southern part of the country.

Jonah Attah, Technical Director of the NSF and Vice-Chairman of the African Squash Federation, said the Abuja edition had exceeded expectations, particularly with the strong participation from Northern Nigeria.

He said the FCT produced 33 junior players, while Plateau and Kaduna produced 13 and 11 players respectively.

“The Under-11 had a chart of 32 that is massive. In the past for this same tournament, they used to have just 12 or 14. That shows you that what the federation is doing is working,” he said.

Attah said the growth demonstrated the impact of the NSF’s development roadmap, adding that the quality of play showed that the tournament had achieved more than simply exposing young players to competition.

Sonia DeRosesa, a visiting junior squash player, commended the commitment of the Nigerian players and expressed optimism about the future of the sport in the country.

“I would say that Nigerian squash is on the rise and that everyone should look out in the future. They’re working hard. They’re competing,” she said.

Segun Maku, a former North American and Nigerian champion, also backed increased investment in grassroots development, saying former professionals had a duty to give back to the sport that helped shape their careers.

“This tournament means a lot to me because it reminds me of my days coming up in the sport. I am glad that we, the former professionals, are giving back,” he said.

He expressed optimism that sustained development could enable Nigerian players to make a stronger impact at international competitions within the next five to 10 years.

“Hopefully, in the next five to 10 years, we will start getting into the main draws and probably start winning most international tournaments,” he said.

Iniobong Jacob called for more equipment, coaching and strategic partnerships, saying young players who had previously struggled in competitions were now showing significant improvement.

“Some of the young boys and girls you see here started playing in tournaments like this years ago. They would lose by 3-0 margins and things like that. But over time, they have progressed steadily,” he said.

Adekunle Adebiyi, Secretary of Nigerian Squash Players in the Diaspora and one of the organisers and sponsors, said the tournament cost more than N10 million and described its successful completion as fulfilling.

“Everything we did was for the children. So, we are happy and fulfilled,” Adebiyi said.

He said the organisers would continue to improve the championship and explore taking future editions to other parts of the country, including the South-East and Kano.

“Our aim is to develop the sport and go to places where we can bring new players into the game. That was why we knew we had to leave Lagos. Lagos is already well catered to,” he said.

NAN reports that the event, which commenced on Tuesday, ended on Saturday at the Squash Courts of the Moshood Abiola National Stadium, Package B, in Abuja.(NAN)(www.nannews.ng)

Edited by Joseph Edeh

Continue Reading

Trending