Connect with us

News

Indigenes, Fulani Trade Blames as Hostile Relation Resume in Plateau

editor

Published

on

Jos Plateau State

Plateau Youth Council (PYC) has fingered Fulani herders in the renewed killings in the state in the past two weeks. According to the group information available to them showed that a killer squad operated by some herders was responsible for the killings in Plateau villages, claiming that the squad carried out coordinated attacks in Mangu, Barkin-Ladi, Riyom, Jos South, and Bokkos Local Government Areas (LGA) of the state.

This is even as Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria (MACBAN) has accused the native of murdering innocent Fulani teenagers working on their father’s farm at Dong-kassa village of Bassa Local Government Area of the state.

The two are calling on security agents to fish out the perpetrators of the killings before they escalate further.

The Chairman of PYC, Mr. Lot Sunday Adas said from April 15, 2023 till date, several villages and hamlets have come under attacks.

Adding that “our people are killed, while others have been displaced from their ancestral homes, and properties worth millions of Naira destroyed.”

The press briefing, which was held in collaboration with the Coalition of Plateau State Indigenous Youths, and the Youth Wing of the Christian Association of Nigeria (YOWICAN), revealed the killer group had been imported to Plateau to perpetrate what it has been doing in Southern Kaduna and Benue State.

Adas said: “Since April 15, 2023 to April 29, 2023, a total of nine persons were killed in different incidences in Mangu LGA, nine in Barkin Ladi LGA, six persons in Riyom LGA, six persons in Jos South LGA and three persons in Bokkos LGA, bringing the total number to 33 persons.

“These attacks are orchestrated largely to disrupt farming activities, economic livelihoods, displace population, and grab lands in these communities. The aforementioned attacks are in addition to the many attacks that have taken place in several villages in Bokkos, Riyom and Bassa LGAs.

“The above incidents are sufficient evidence that the Fulani militias have resumed their onslaughts on the innocent people of Plateau state just like it has been happening in parts of Southern Kaduna and Benue state.

“In our view, these attacks should never be mistaken for isolated incidents or better still, the so-called farmer-herder clashes. Rather, they are strategies of war and terrorism aimed at disrupting farming activities, displacing the people and grabbing their lands.

“Unfortunately for the victims in all these villages and hamlets of Plateau State, the response of security agencies, particularly Operation Safe Haven (OPSH), has always come too late and too little to save their lives and situation despite the early warning signals sent to them by members of our coalition.

“Today, these people have lost their lives, their dreams and aspirations in life cut short while their responsibilities over their children and wives have to be shouldered by surviving family members whether young or aged. To us, this was entirely avoidable and therefore, highly condemnable.”

Meanwhile, the State Chairman of MACBAN, Mallam Nura Abdullahi, in a statement, said the murder of the Fulani teenagers has been reported to the Divisional Police Officer of Bassa and Operation Safe Haven (OPSH) Sector Commander of the area.

He said the Spokesperson of the state police command, Mr. Alabo Alfred, has assured them that they were doing everything possible to arrest the perpetrators and curtail escalation.

According to Abdullahi, the victims were killed on their father’s farm, adding that they were slaughtered like rams for no reason.

“They were not even rearing cattle not to talk of destroying farms. They only went to their father’s farm but were deliberately slaughtered.

He said: “The entire Bassa general area has been calm for over a year now. But we don’t know what the deceased teenagers have done to deserve this. Government and all other stakeholders should note that this is what has happened to our children.

“We want the security agents to fish out the perpetrators; this is getting too much. The police have been telling us to exercise patience. We have taken it as the will of Allah. We are calling on our members to remain calm.

He said the boys killed were brothers; Suleiman Yusuf (seven) and Jafar Yusuf (12).

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

David Mark warns against use of state institutions to manipulate 2027 elections

info

Published

on

By

David Mark.jpg

The National Chairman of the African Democratic Congress (ADC), Senator David Mark, has warned against the use of state institutions to manipulate the 2027 general elections, insisting that the credibility of the polls must be “non-negotiable”.

Mark also cautioned against intimidation, violence and other forms of electoral malpractice, saying the ADC expected the next general elections to be transparent, inclusive, peaceful and free from interference.

The former Senate President spoke on Wednesday in Abuja when he received a delegation from the International Republican Institute (IRI), which is in Nigeria as part of its assessment of preparations for the 2027 elections.

According to Mark, the integrity of the electoral process would be critical to determining whether Nigerians would have confidence in the outcome of the 2027 polls.

“For us in the ADC, the credibility of the 2027 elections must be non-negotiable. We expect the electoral process to be transparent, inclusive, peaceful and free from manipulation, intimidation and the abuse of state institutions,” Mark said.

He expressed concern over what he described as the recurring abuse of the electoral process by governments in power as well as non-state actors, warning that such practices could undermine democratic governance and erode public confidence in elections.

Mark made particular reference to the violence and intimidation reported during the recently concluded Osun State governorship election, which he said should serve as a warning ahead of the 2027 general elections.

He said reports indicated that no fewer than 30 people were killed during the election, describing the development as reprehensible and condemnable.

“Elections should not be treated as war or a do-or-die affair. There should be a democratic process through which citizens freely choose their leaders and advance their aspirations for development and a better quality of life,” he said.

The ADC chairman said his party was committed to an electoral process conducted in a secure environment where voters could freely cast their ballots without fear or intimidation.

He added that every vote must count and that mandates freely given by the electorate must be respected.

His comments come as political parties and other stakeholders intensify preparations for the 2027 general elections, with concerns over electoral violence, the neutrality of state institutions and the credibility of the electoral process already featuring prominently in discussions ahead of the polls.

Earlier, the IRI delegation said its visit was aimed at assessing the country’s level of preparedness and engaging key stakeholders on issues that could affect the conduct of the elections.

The African Regional Director of IRI, Jenai Cox, said the organisation was conducting a pre-election assessment mission to evaluate preparations for the 2027 polls.

Continue Reading

News

Town Planners Urge Urgent Action To Save Abuja’s Green Areas 

info

Published

on

By

IMG 20260819 WA00542.jpg

By Jumoke Olaitan/ Angela Atabo

‎Nigerian Institute of Town Planners (NITP), Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Chapter has called for urgent action to halt the loss of green spaces in the FCT and enforce strict adherence to the Abuja Master Plan.

NITP Chairman in the FCT, Ms Queen Phillips, raised the alarm in Abuja on Wednesday, during the 2026 Town Planners Day, with the theme, “From Garden City to Concrete Jungle: Planning Livable Communities”.

Philips explained that the theme responds to growing public outrage over non-adherence to planning standards and the steady disappearance of green areas.

She noted that the event offered a platform for stakeholders to examine challenges confronting sustainable development in the FCT and craft practical solutions to preserve its environmental assets.

”The theme is therefore both timely and compelling, providing an opportunity for stakeholders to reflect on the challenges confronting the sustainable development of the FCT.”

“It will also help to collectively examine practical solutions for preserving its environmental assets and ensuring the creation of livable communities.

”The FCT Chapter of the institute has, at various times, demonstrated its commitment to addressing these concerns,” she said.

Phillips said that the chapter routinely sets up committees to investigate planning challenges triggered by intense development pressure.

She added that reports from the committees were forwarded to the national body for action, while observed infractions are reported to the Town Planners Registration Council of Nigeria (TOPREC).

She stressed that professional standards, ethical practice, and regulatory compliance remain non-negotiable for orderly development.

‎Ms Zaliha’u Ahmed, who chaired the event, reminded participants that the Abuja Master Plan was originally designed around a “garden city” concept, where nature and infrastructure coexist through sound land use and high quality of life.

However, she expressed deep concern over the conversion of public and institutional lands into private developments.

Ahmed cited specific violations, including the widespread felling of mature trees, the redesign of lands surrounding Jabi Lake Park, the conversion of a district hospital site for residential use, and illegal commercial activities taking over walkways and buffer zones.

She warned that these departures threaten the city’s identity and core plan, urging professional bodies to publish evidence-based positions on major violations, protect whistleblowers who refuse improper directives, and sanction members who facilitate illegal approvals.

Delivering the keynote address, Prof. Laraba Rikko of the University of Jos described Abuja’s shift toward a “concrete jungle” as an experiential crisis in urban planning.

Rikko acknowledged public skepticism regarding whether town planners even exist in the city, attributing this perception to a lack of visible planning impacts and urged professionals to demonstrate greater integrity and diligence.

”The theme reflects the tension between visionary planning and uncontrolled urban expansion, institutional intentions and implementation realities, as well as sustainable development and political, economic and demographic pressures,” she said.

Rikko reiterated that Abuja was explicitly conceived as a planned capital to prevent the chaotic growth seen in organic cities, with green belts, parks, and natural landscapes.

This, she said, serves as vital ecological infrastructure to absorb rainfall, regulate temperature, and mitigate climate risks.

Lamenting that these features were continually fragmented, degraded, or reallocated, Rikko pointed to unapproved building plans, weak enforcement, political interference, corruption, and a breakdown of professional ethics as core drivers of the decay.

She challenged built-environment professionals to take full accountability, emphasising that every official signature and approval either protects or undermines the capital city. (NAN)

Edited by Philip Yatai ‎

Continue Reading

Trending