Lachy Groom, one of Silicon Valley’s most closely watched solo investors, decided to back Indian startup Pronto just 20 minutes into his first meeting with its 24-year-old founder.
The meeting, which took place in February through a mutual connection, led to Groom investing $20 million in Pronto as an extension of its Series B round, valuing the startup at $200 million after the investment — double its valuation just over two months earlier, as TechCrunch had previously reported. The deal came together within weeks, bringing the solo investor on board as the Bengaluru-based startup expands to meet growing demand for on-demand home services in India.
Groom said he was drawn to Pronto’s ambition to build what he called the world’s largest platform for organizing domestic labor, starting with India’s vast and largely unstructured workforce. “The work underneath that is genuinely hard, and most attempts in adjacent categories have struggled with the operational discipline,” he said, adding that Pronto founder Anjali Sardana (pictured above) and her team were operating “at a level I haven’t seen elsewhere in this space.”
Before founding Pronto in 2025, Sardana worked at Bain Capital and venture firm 8VC, where she gained early exposure to investing and high-growth startups. The startup connects households with workers for everyday tasks such as cleaning and basic home services.
The introduction was arranged through Paul Hudson, founder of Glade Brook Capital, who connected Groom and Sardana during her trip to San Francisco earlier this year. Glade Brook has backed startups founded by both: Pronto, which Sardana leads, and Physical Intelligence, where Groom is a co-founder. Hudson and Groom have also backed Indian quick-commerce startup Zepto.
Sardana said Groom’s investment approach is heavily founder-driven. “He indexes two things. One is the founder, and that’s 95% of it. If he loves the founder, then he will invest,” she told TechCrunch, adding that the rest comes down to the scale and potential of the business.
Groom’s bet comes as a clutch of startups in India race to build instant home services platforms, a category that is seeing rapid adoption among urban households as more consumers turn to on-demand help for everyday tasks.
Techcrunch event
San Francisco, CA | October 13-15, 2026
The opportunity is significant. A recent Bank of America note, reviewed by TechCrunch, estimates the instant home services market in India could grow into a $15 billion to $18 billion industry by the end of the decade, as companies including Pronto, Snabbit, and Urban Company’s InstaHelp compete for share in the fast-growing category.
Competition is intensifying, with heavy capital inflows and aggressive pricing, particularly to attract first-time users. Bank of America estimates that Snabbit and Urban Company’s InstaHelp each account for about 40% of the market, while Pronto has around a 20% share, even as it scales rapidly. The category is expected to remain “burn-heavy” over the next two to three years.
Despite trailing larger rivals, Pronto has been scaling rapidly, growing from around 18,000 bookings a day to 26,000 in just over a month. The startup is focused on driving repeat usage, betting that turning occasional demand into frequent, habit-driven usage will be key to winning the category, with its top 10% of users accounting for about 40% of bookings.
This growth has also brought challenges, particularly in building out supply. Pronto has expanded its network of service workers to 6,500, up from 1,440 in January. But Sardana said demand continues to outpace supply, making forecasting and capacity management key challenges as the startup grows.
When you purchase through links in our articles, we may earn a small commission. This doesn’t affect our editorial independence.
The African Democratic Congress, ADC, has revealed the reason for its poor performance in the just concluded Osun State governorship election.
Speaking during an interview on Trust TV, ADC National Publicity Secretary, Bolaji Abdullahi, said the party’s low vote count was due to its collaboration with the Accord Party, which won the election.
Abdullahi said ADC collaborated with Accord Party to prevent the All Progressives Congress, APC, from winning.
DAILY POST reports that the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, declared Governor Ademola Adeleke as winner of the August 15, 2026 election after defeating his closest rival, the All Progressives Congress, APC candidate, Bola Oyebamiji.
Adeleke won the election after polling 511,067 votes against Oyebamiji who polled 444,815 votes.
Meanwhile, the African Democratic Congress, ADC candidate Najeem Salaam, scored 17,180 votes – coming a distant third on the ballot.
Despite the wide margin between Salaam’s votes and those of the two leading candidates, Abdullahi said the ADC did not consider its performance a failure because its broader objective was to prevent the APC from reclaiming power in the state.
According to him, the party had identified the risk of opposition votes being divided early enough in the electoral process and decided to work with Accord.
“We saw the possibility of collaboration. We saw the possibility earlier enough that if we decided to go full throttle, the possibility that the opposition would divide the votes and the APC would take the victory was there.
“And that was why we saw the opportunity to work together, and that was what happened,” he said.
At least 20 people have been killed after armed gunmen invaded Binper community in Kombun District of Mangu Local Government Area, Plateau State, in a fresh attack that stretched from Monday night into the early hours of Tuesday.
The attackers reportedly moved into the community around midnight and targeted residents in their homes.
Several people were also injured, while others are still unaccounted for following the assault.
Residents said the gunmen, who were heavily armed, went from one house to another and forced their way inside. Some victims were reportedly attacked while they were asleep.
An eyewitness said the attackers “were moving from house to house, opening the doors of people who were sleeping and slaughtering them.”
The eyewitness added that more than 20 bodies had been recovered from different parts of the community, while efforts were still being made to locate residents whose whereabouts remained unknown.
The attack also caused extensive damage to property. Several houses were reportedly set ablaze, while farmlands and crops were destroyed during the invasion.
A resident who spoke about the incident described the situation as “terrible” and questioned why security personnel did not arrive while the attackers were still in the community.
According to the resident, the delayed response allowed the assailants to operate for several hours before leaving the area.
The latest attack has heightened fear among residents of Binper and surrounding communities, particularly farmers who depend on their farmlands for their livelihood.
Victims who survived the attack with injuries were taken to nearby medical facilities for treatment. Community members and local volunteers also began searching for missing persons and recovering the bodies of those killed.
Security personnel were later deployed to the community on Tuesday morning as authorities moved to restore calm and prevent further attacks.
Plateau State Map
The Plateau State Police Command confirmed that an attack occurred in the area but said it was still working to establish the exact number of casualties.
The command was also expected to conduct an assessment of the affected community and determine the extent of the destruction.
The new Commissioner of Police in the state, CP Ayodeji Faniyan, alongside other senior officers, was reportedly heading to the affected area to assess the situation and receive a firsthand briefing from residents and security personnel.
Mangu has remained one of the areas affected by recurring violence, with previous attacks resulting in deaths, displacement and the destruction of homes and farmlands.
The violence has also affected farming activities in several communities. Residents have repeatedly raised concerns about their ability to access their farms safely, particularly during the farming season.
The Binper community has previously featured in reports concerning insecurity and destruction of crops.
Farmers in the area have complained about attacks on their farms and the difficulty of protecting their crops from armed groups.
The latest incident has therefore raised fresh concerns about the safety of residents who remain in vulnerable communities across Mangu.
Meanwhile, the Mwaghavul Youth Movement, MYM, has condemned the latest attack and expressed anger over the continued loss of lives in communities within Mangu Local Government Area.
The group said the killing of residents and destruction of homes and farmlands amounted to a serious threat to the survival and future of the affected communities.
In a statement signed by its Director of Public Affairs, Tubwot Joël Sunday, the movement said residents should not be forced to rely on themselves for protection when security agencies have the responsibility of safeguarding lives and property.
The group also claimed that local youths had played a role in protecting residents during the attack by remaining on guard throughout the night.
It, however, warned that community self-defence could not replace an effective security system.
The movement called on Plateau State Governor Caleb Mutfwang and President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to take urgent steps to address the security situation in vulnerable communities.
It also demanded a transparent investigation into the attack and other incidents recorded in Mangu, saying those responsible must be identified and prosecuted.
The group said the repeated killings could no longer be treated as isolated incidents because the attacks were affecting not only human lives but also homes, farms and the economic activities of entire communities.
It urged authorities to take what it described as “uncommon action” to stop the continued violence and prevent further loss of lives.