Connect with us

News

2027: APC primary a sham, Tinubu should intervene – Arise

info

Published

on

Ayodele Arise.jpg

Ayodele Arise, chieftain of the All Progressives Congress and aspirant for the ticket of the Ekiti North Senatorial District, has described the party’s primary election as a sham.

He then urged President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to, as a matter of urgency, intervene in the crisis trailing the outcome of the exercise.

In a statement at the weekend, Arise said state governors remained a major challenge for a smooth conduct of the recent APC primaries.

Recall that the APC Committee, which supervised the process, had declared the sitting lawmaker representing Ekiti North, Senator Cyril Fasuyi, as the winner.

However, Arise and other contenders for the ticket, including Dipo Bamisaye and Dare Owolabi, had since dismissed the outcome as fraudulent and manipulated.

Senator Arise, who represented the senatorial district between 2007 and 2011, said the primary was a sham and the party is paying lip service to the crisis the election had generated.

“When we talk about internal democracy, it is still a very big challenge. It’s one thing for us to have a Constitution; it’s another thing for people to try to circumvent it or the guidelines for any election.

“That was demonstrated in no small measure when I tried to come back through the primary because I knew what was in the pipeline, so I went into it to prove a point.

“It will be a shame if some of us passed through this country and we don’t have the voice to correct the anomalies and let people know that if we want to practice democracy, let us practice it. If we don’t want it, it’s a different kettle of fish.

“The experience I had during the primary, I really don’t want to overbeat that because I believe the chairman of the party has spoken with Mr. President, and I think they are looking at all the challenges, and I am sure those of us who worked and won our elections will be given our mandate in due course.”

“As we discover problems, people respond to them, and I believe, more than anybody else, that our President has been very proactive in terms of fixing some of these challenges, working on them, and ensuring that corrections are made before it’s too late,” he stated.

He added that “the issue of the governors is still a major problem in terms of trying to get to the Senate.

“Even when you aren’t contesting against them, if you aren’t their favored candidate, the chances of your making it are a little bit very challenging.”

DAILY POST reports that the APC primaries that were held last month were marred with controversies.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Health

WHO declares polio outbreaks over in five African countries

info

Published

on

By

Oral Polio Immunization e1516014703516.jpg

MTN ADVERT

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has confirmed the closure of poliovirus type 2 outbreaks in five African countries following assessments that found transmission had been interrupted.

The countries are Burundi, Ghana, Guinea-Bissau, the Republic of Congo and Uganda, the WHO Regional Office for Africa said in a statement on Wednesday.

“Teams from the Independent Outbreak Response Assessment (OBRA) conducted separate assessments between January and June 2026, reviewing disease surveillance, laboratory and epidemiological data,” WHO noted.

WHO explained that the transmission was interrupted through targeted vaccination campaigns, epidemiological investigations and expanded environmental surveillance.

How countries stopped the outbreaks

In Burundi, where a circulating poliovirus type 2 outbreak was declared in March 2023, health authorities intensified routine vaccination and surveillance, with support from the Global Polio Eradication Initiative (GPEI).

PT WHATSAPP CHANNEL

WHO explained that through targeted vaccination campaigns, epidemiological investigations and expanded environmental surveillance, the transmission was interrupted.

Uganda also strengthened surveillance and outbreak response after poliovirus was detected in May 2024, while Ghana combined laboratory investments with disease surveillance and rapid outbreak response.

“Earlier this year, both countries upgraded their lab capacity, further strengthening their ability to detect and respond rapidly to poliovirus and other vaccine-preventable diseases,” WHO said.

In Guinea-Bissau, it added that targeted vaccination campaigns and enhanced surveillance focused on underserved populations have resulted in no poliovirus detections since July 2021.

The Republic of Congo strengthened surveillance and conducted multiple vaccination campaigns after virus detections, with the last detection reported in December 2023.

In his comments, WHO Regional Director for Africa, Mohamed Janabi, said the closures showed what could be achieved through national leadership, health workers, and collaboration among governments, communities, and partners.

“While this is an important milestone, it is not the end of the journey. Continued vigilance, strong surveillance and high immunisation coverage remain essential to protect children and prevent future outbreaks,” Mr Janabi was quoted to have said.

Nigeria maintains zero wild poliovirus

Nigeria has maintained zero transmission of wild poliovirus for six years, according to the WHO.

The country has also continued responding to circulating vaccine-derived poliovirus type 2 (cVDPV2), which remains a concern despite the absence of wild poliovirus transmission.

WHO recently highlighted the work of the National Polio Laboratory in Ibadan, which supports surveillance and rapid detection of poliovirus in the country.

According to the global body, the laboratory analyses more than 23,000 stool samples from 26 states and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) each year and processes sewage samples from 60 wastewater surveillance sites.

ALSO READ: WHO reports major decline in polio cases across Africa

It has also sequenced more than 1,000 poliovirus isolates since receiving WHO accreditation in February 2025.

WHO added that the laboratory is preparing for full accreditation by September 2026.

“With the Government of Nigeria and partners, WHO supports nationwide surveillance, vaccination campaigns and real-time data monitoring. These efforts help ensure every child is reached and every signal is investigated,” it noted.

Continued vigilance

Despite the latest achievement, the WHO warned that closing an outbreak does not eliminate the risk of future detections or reimportation.

The organisation pointed to the recent detection of poliovirus in Madagascar, after the country had previously declared its outbreak closed, as a reminder of the continuing risk.

WHO said countries must therefore maintain “high-quality surveillance and strong population immunity.”


Discover more from Premium Times Nigeria

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Continue Reading

News

APC’s Ojudu decries backlash over alarm on abandoned project

info

Published

on

By

Babafemi Ojudu.jpg

An All Progressives Congress, APC chieftain, Babafemi Ojudu, has responded to recent criticism from party members over his comment on the alleged abandonment of construction work on the Akure–Ado-Ekiti road.

Ojudu, a former presidential media aide, had drawn the attention of the government to the state of the road, which he said leads to the city where he lives.

However, his post reportedly attracted backlash from some members of the ruling party, who viewed Ojudu’s comments as an attack on President Bola Tinubu’s administration.

Reacting to the criticism in another Facebook post, Ojudu questioned why he was being attacked for drawing attention to an abandoned public project.

He argued that demanding accountability from the government is a citizen’s right and should not be interpreted as disloyalty to a political party.

“What manner of citizens are we becoming? Does belonging to a political party require surrendering one’s conscience, citizenship and right to demand accountability? Must party loyalty mean applauding everything and questioning nothing?” he asked.

Ojudu said drawing attention to abandoned public infrastructure that affects citizens and communities should be regarded as a patriotic responsibility.

“My membership of the APC does not deprive me of my rights and responsibilities as a Nigerian. I can commend the government when it performs well and question it when something appears to have gone wrong.

Continue Reading

Trending